Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
The purpose of Kendo training and the physical demands of the martial art. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The purpose of Kendo training and the physical demands of the martial art.

I am just wondering the purpose of Kendo training and the physical demands of the martial art because i want to get the entire concept and understanding of the sport before i even think of training.

thank you

The Concept of Kendo

The concept of Kendo is to discipline the human character through the application of the principles of the Katana (sword).

The Purpose of Practicing Kendo

The purpose of practicing Kendo is:

To mold the mind and body,

To cultivate a vigorous spirit,

And through correct and rigid training,

To strive for improvement in the art of Kendo,

To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor,

To associate with others with sincerity,

And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.

This will make one be able:

To love his/her country and society,

To contribute to the development of culture

And to promote peace and prosperity among all peoples.

Btw - love the title of your thread. Sounds like the title of an academic paper!

Comment

now for the physical demands....

i think the best advise would be, watch a class. then try a class or a few. most dojos -if not all- will be okay with this.

after you do that you will probably start finding answers to your questions

Comment

I believe that the reasons for joining (i.e. "the purpose") varies for each person, despite the official reasons or those in these threads:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6109
        http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3265
        http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4256

From a physical perspective be prepared for bruises, blisters, sore muscles, hard work, explosive movements, GREAT posture (Keep your back straight, keem good stance!), basically the demands on the body inherent with many sports. With kendo though, I'm finding the discipline, the ritual, the respect and the cameraderie are rewarding on many different levels. I say take Paburo's advice and watch a few practices. I suggest one beginner and one in armour, and if you can, some sparring or a tournament, then you'll get some idea of the kinds of physical demands that kendo requires of you. I hope you decide to join up and stay with it as it is a very rewarding and enjoyable activity.

Comment

physically it can be demanding but only after you get into armour, before then it is less demanding as you learn the basic techniques and footwork

the training is particularly cardiovascular and endurance based, initially there will be muscular training in your forearms, wrists, calves, abs and lower back

all these demands are brought about by the practice of kendo itself not by exercises or anything

Physical strength is not a requirement for kendo, i cant remember of the top of my head cuz i havent been doing kendo too long but a shinai weighs between 500g and a kilo, so its not very heavy at all, armour can be a little heavy at first but you quickly get used to it

technique is much more important than strength in kendo, thats why small people are good at kendo

Comment

Originally posted by KendoKitten
            I am just wondering the purpose of Kendo training and the physical demands of the martial art because i want to get the entire concept and understanding of the sport before i even think of training.

thank you
            That came across as if you 'really' need to know. Try not to run before you can walk. Everyone here so far has given good advice, but you need to experience it for yourself first. Why do you have such a need to know the purpose and concept in its entirety? Are you just wondering whether to start kendo, depending on the answers you get to your question?
            If you've yet to start kendo, then if it were me, i'd be happy with what people have posted and go try it for myself.
            Concepts, imho tend to remain the same, as for purpose, well, your own kendo make have a different purpose to someone else's, so to will your understanding of it. Your philosophies and goals in kendo will no doubt change during your time studying it as well. So why burden yourself at the start with all these questions. Go practice.....and love it for what it gives you, not what it gives others.
            Good luck

Comment

good post Banza Joe

for the record i change my response to his!! :-)

Comment

Working...
              X