Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go and kendo

ladies and gentlemen,

i was first pointed in the direction of kendo by my go sensei, who passed away recently. he told me he thought that kendo would benefit my go, though whenever i asked him how, he smiled and stared off into the middle distance, or told me i'd work it out in time.

i suspect he just wanted me to loose a bit of weight, since i tended to eat most of the contents of his house when i went round for a game and smelt rather acrid on hot days. that said, i've been wondering if anyone else here plays go to a reasonable standard, and has found connections between thier style of go and their style of kendo, or anything along those lines. i'm still a kendo peasant, and a dan-grade at go, though i feel to have found a much more comfortable niche with kendo than i ever did with go.

i tend to go for what i suspect's a rather 'direct' for of kendo, involving a good deal of vigorous physical hijinx, whilst my go style's also comparatively agressive, despite being based on a chinese opening; i take a side, and then batter the opponent with brutal land-grabs and revoltingly complex ko-related attacks.

since taking up kendo, i suppose i tend to play down the sides of the board a little more, whilst thinking hazily about fighting a nito-weilding sempai, and his tempting, juicy kote.

i spend much more time on kendo now, and much less on go, so it's quite possible my sensei was just trying to get rid of me; does anyone else see a deep and abiding connection between being smacked over the head with a peice of bamboo, and putting pebbles down in pretty patterns on a plank?

There are one or two Go players in our Dojo. See our website http://www.noentry.plus.com/ There's some brief discussion of these matters there which you could re-invigorate if you want. You're not a million miles away either, so why not come and train with us also?

Comment

One of my students plays go, and he made the comment that he plays go like he plays kendo. So I played him a game and then asked him afterwords 'so you play kendo defensively do you' he was quite surprised that I was able to notice even after only having just learned to play go half an hour before hand. :-)

Comment

many thanks for the invite, dan dan. i fear i'm currently skint, but will certainly come over and visit you when money allows, and when i've inflicted enough damage in my current dojo to grow through the 'useless violence' stage.

that's a very impressive website, by the way; could you possibly point me to the go discussion? i put 'go' into the search, and got nout.

mr. fowler, that's interesting in itself. i don't know anyone who plays go and 'does' kendo, but must admit, i think my style in both reflects my personality. i used to box, and used tended to rely on strength and little tricks then, as i do in go; in kendo, i'm not up to the cunning tricks stage yet, but the out-and-out brutality's certainly there, alas. i find it interesting that kendo seems to have sent me down the side of the board; when i boxed, i had a very 'straight' style, and tended to punch into blocks. given the kendo empahsis on holding centre, i find the fact that i'm now going for off-centre go 'kotes' very interesting.
        Last edited by ginger_justice; 26th April 2005, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_justice
          ladies and gentlemen,

i was first pointed in the direction of kendo by my go sensei, who passed away recently. he told me he thought that kendo would benefit my go, though whenever i asked him how, he smiled and stared off into the middle distance, or told me i'd work it out in time.

i suspect he just wanted me to loose a bit of weight, since i tended to eat most of the contents of his house when i went round for a game and smelt rather acrid on hot days. that said, i've been wondering if anyone else here plays go to a reasonable standard, and has found connections between thier style of go and their style of kendo, or anything along those lines. i'm still a kendo peasant, and a dan-grade at go, though i feel to have found a much more comfortable niche with kendo than i ever did with go.

i tend to go for what i suspect's a rather 'direct' for of kendo, involving a good deal of vigorous physical hijinx, whilst my go style's also comparatively agressive, despite being based on a chinese opening; i take a side, and then batter the opponent with brutal land-grabs and revoltingly complex ko-related attacks.

since taking up kendo, i suppose i tend to play down the sides of the board a little more, whilst thinking hazily about fighting a nito-weilding sempai, and his tempting, juicy kote.

i spend much more time on kendo now, and much less on go, so it's quite possible my sensei was just trying to get rid of me; does anyone else see a deep and abiding connection between being smacked over the head with a peice of bamboo, and putting pebbles down in pretty patterns on a plank?
          This is a very interesting thread. I can't really say much about it though as I was only kyu-level in both Go and Kendo. I suspect that the connection has to be with personal development that both Go and Kendo can give you.

Also I suspect the mentality is similar in some way in both Go and Kendo, for example, in Go if you are too greedy you will lose, and in Kendo if you are too aggressive you will lose. Or say your confidence in your own ability in either pursuit.

Lastly, I think at the very least Kendo can compliment the physical aspect that Go lacks.

Originally posted by Dave Fowler
          One of my students plays go, and he made the comment that he plays go like he plays kendo. So I played him a game and then asked him afterwords 'so you play kendo defensively do you' he was quite surprised that I was able to notice even after only having just learned to play go half an hour before hand. :-)
          Well he should able to beat you with a 9-stone handicap if you just learn the game, and not to mention that there is no way you can sense someone's Go style unless both people are at dan level.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what is Go?

Comment

have a look at

http://www.usgo.org/resources/whatisgo.asp

which does the job better than i ever could.

you're most likely to have seen it played in a few recent films; russel crowe finds out he's bad at it in 'a beautiful mind', and some mathmo sees it as proof of universal order in 'pi'.

i seem to remember 'go' meaning 'behind the opponent' in a kendo context, but i may well be wrong.

Comment

ah, is it like othello? didn't they play that in hero?

Comment

looks similar, but they're only really related in very loose ways. go stones aren't reversible, they're just one colour, and unlike othello, you often remove them from the board. i love othello, but go's a much more complex game; it has a rank system much like kendo, and is a multi-million dollar 'sport' in asia, with televised games and the like.

i'd urge anyone who hasn't to read kawabata's 'the master of go'; not only is it an utterly beutiful book, it also conveys quite how important go was to japanese culture in the last century.

Comment

Go

Interesting thread this - yes.

If you are interested in Go - and its relationship with not only Kendo but Life - a must read is the book Shibumi. Authored by Trevanian.

If anyone else is a fan would love to hear.

Rafeal

Comment

Really!

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                      ah, is it like othello? didn't they play that in hero?
                      Comparing Go to Othello is like comparing Baby duck to Dom!

Comment

For your interest in Go....

From Shibumi, by Trevanian Those interested in impressing others with their intelligence play chess. Those who would settle for being chic play backgammon. Those who wish to become individuals of quality, take up Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafeal
                          From Shibumi, by Trevanian Those interested in impressing others with their intelligence play chess. Those who would settle for being chic play backgammon. Those who wish to become individuals of quality, take up Go.
                          And if I play all three ? :-)

Comment

Fascinating thread. I wish I knew more about Go. I've been a lifelong, mediocre chess player and played Go once or twice with a friend also learning the game, and could make nothing of it. I'd love to hear more. How fluent in Go do you have to be to read the Trevanian book?

Ginger, I don't know if it will help, but I wrote an article comparing combative sport to chess. Maybe some of the points will be similar or reflective of your own thoughts. Here is the article:

http://www.ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_kondek_0702.htm

By the way, I think it takes at least two years to start having profound insights into kendo. Maybe I'm wrong. I think you must be a patient person, however, and expect this...

Comment

not sure about the book, but like kendo, go has a billion japanese terms which you only use when playing the game

http://senseis.xmp.net/

is a good go wikipedia style site with a search thing for any terms if you need them

Comment

Working...
                              X