X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance

How many of you bother to call your teacher and excuse yourself when you can't make it to class?

Does your teacher expect that courtesy from you?

What would you think if your teacher stopped showing up for class and didn't call anybody in the dojo to let them know?

We don't expect people to call. Frankly, I really don't need to be called, you either show up or you don't. Likewise, the only calls the instructors make are to each other, to ensure that at least one of us is going to show up. It's a fairly big club, we never have the situation where there's less than 8 or 10 people at a class, and it's usually more like 15-20.

Comment

I wouldn't expect it. I think it's only appropriate if you are receiving one-on-one instruction.

OTOH, how many people make it their business to go straight to the head sensei as soon as they arrive at training and greet him (or her) formally before doing anything else? I think this is more appropriate reiho.

b

Comment

I always call to let him know, It's simple respect to let him know. -shrug-

Comment

I practice Iaido with my kendo sensei (we're both learning seitei together) before class. Therefore, I try to call him or let him know in advance if I will be unable to make it to class (or will be late), so he can choose to show up a little later as well. Seems like the considerate thing to do (and besides, he shows me the same consideration).

Similarly, since I'm usually the first one there, when Sensei arrives, I try to meet him at his car to help him carry his bogu, shinai bag, briefcase, etc. into the dojo. It's the least I can do.

RC_Kenshi

P.S. There is one person in our dojo (that I know of) who usually sends an e-mail if something comes up and they cannot attend. But most just show up, or don't show up. We rarely have less than a dozen people at practice, and usually have closer to two dozen.
          Last edited by RC_Kenshi; 13th May 2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I would like to say that I always call, but I usually call. My instructors know that I am out-of-town alot.
            I think it started out as a point that "I am still interested, so don't write me off" to now some 5-6 years later as a sign of respect toward my instructors.

Comment

Unless I've made a specific promise to turn up, no, I don't call/email.
              There will be at least 30 other people there anyway

Jakob

Comment

On the less than a half dozen times I haven't been able to make it, I've always called. I also do my best to greet Sensei when I get in, unless he's teaching another class at the time.

Comment

I try to make every effort to be at every class, so it is unusual for me to miss one. I send an email or talk to sensei at the previous class.

Hank.

Comment

We don't expect people to call. Sometimes, I will get an IM or email, but usually not.

We are a small club, so sometimes that means I will be myself in the dojo, which can be a little annoying, as I have a bit of a drive out there and I end up wasting a pair of contact lenses. But, in a big dojo I think it would be more annoying to have people calling you every week to say they cannot make it (since in a big dojo, maybe on any particular week some person or other will be busy). So, I suppose the size of the dojo has a lot to do with if it is "polite" for a student to call.

Probably because we don't get calls for routine absences, we also do not get calls for extended absences. I do think it is polite to talk to sensei if you are going to be away for an extended period, heaven forbid, quiting.

Comment

Originally posted by hyuna
                      Probably because we don't get calls for routine absences, we also do not get calls for extended absences. I do think it is polite to talk to sensei if you are going to be away for an extended period, heaven forbid, quiting.
                      I appreciate those. I especially hate people who quit while in possession of club bogu, and we have to hound them for months to get it back. It's just ridiculous - we volunteer our time to teach these people, provide them with dirt cheap rental equipment and they can't even talk 30 minutes out of their day to return the stuff when they quit. I think sometimes they don't want to admit to themselves that they've quit, and they think they'll come back someday.

Comment

I always tell my teacher if I am unable to attend a class, but we are a small club, and I have a lot of responsibility in our dojo as well, so he needs to know if I won't be there.

Comment

I try to always e-mail, even though my presence in class really doesn't matter. I feel a responsibility to attend every class and when I cannot, I just feel this need to offer explanation. This was never mentioned as a requirement, but I just don't feel right if I just don't show and don't say anything. So I thank my senseis for allowing me to use this as another way to try to stay focused on Kendo and be committed.

Comment

Because our club is so small, we always call if we are not attending. All it takes is 2 or 3 not to show and we end up canceling.

Comment

I agree with Mr. Gendzill...

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                              I appreciate those. I especially hate people who quit while in possession of club bogu, and we have to hound them for months to get it back. It's just ridiculous - we volunteer our time to teach these people, provide them with dirt cheap rental equipment and they can't even talk 30 minutes out of their day to return the stuff when they quit. I think sometimes they don't want to admit to themselves that they've quit, and they think they'll come back someday.
                              I'm looking for a Samoan kenshoka to do bogu collection for our club. One phone call and they'd run to the dojo with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X