X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Dan and above please

How are the 3 kills and the 4 sicknesses related?

Whilst I know what you mean by the 3 kills, should I be embarressed that I either don't understand what you mean by 4 sickness's or potentially don't even know what they are? My kendo theory has never been so hot.

Is this some sort of test for us, or a genuine question? Considering what I understand to be your grade, I would know which I think it is...

Comment

Someone just sent me a PM about what the 4 sicknesses are. Just never heard it called that before...but at least I knew what they are! So anyway, gimme time to think about this one......but I would still like to know why we are being tested?

Comment

Hows this....I'll keep it short and sweet....

By effective use of one or more of the 3 kills you can create one or more of the 4 sicknesses in your opponent, which is to be used to take an effective strike from your opponent.

Hows that? Do I win a prize? Can I have the big teddy on the back row? Or the little goldfish in the plastic bag?

Still, again, why?

Comment

I'm not 3rd Dan ... sorry.

But for the sake of the rest of us could we have a break down of the 3 kills and the 4 sicknesses.

Cheers

(I've heard of the sicknesses but not the kills.. )

Comment

3 kills are:
            Body, sword or spirit.
            4 diseases:
            Fear, doubt, suprise, perplexity.

Jakob

Comment

I was surprised by this perplexing question. I doubt my ability to answer accurately, so I fear I'll have to pass on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                I was surprised by this perplexing question. I doubt my ability to answer accurately, so I fear I'll have to pass on this one.
                Does that mean I win? Or was I way off?

Comment

Hmm, my theory is weak, too. But I'd say the 4 diseases are all diseases of the spirit - if you exploit them, you've killed the spirit, which will let you kill the body.

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM
                    Does that mean I win? Or was I way off?
                    I'd give you ippon, but Marsden Sensei's the Shushin around here.

Comment

i thought it was: spirit, sword, technique

as for how they are related, i see the two things as being fundamentally the same, where the kills are an outward expression of the weaknesses. through one of the kills, you create in your opponent one of the weaknesses, but you perform one of the kills by exploiting one of the weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM
                        By effective use of one or more of the 3 kills you can create one or more of the 4 sicknesses in your opponent, which is to be used to take an effective strike from your opponent.
                        Interesting. I was thinking the order is the other way around. Here's how I picture it in my not completely solidified mind:

First we start with "en" or engaging the opponent. That means focusing all our attention on him, and becoming sensitive to his disposition. Next comes seme, the pressure that comes from our intention to attack. Our pressure infects our opponent with one of the 4 sicknesses, and then we get a chance to kill him (by attacking his sword, his waza, or his lack of spirit).

I have a feeling that the process of questioning ourselves is more important than getting the "right" answer. Great question, thanks Marsten Sensei.

Comment

Actually if you look at the shinsa study guide at the AUSKF site, Gibbo is right and I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hyuna
                            i thought it was: spirit, sword, technique.
                            I thought so too.

Comment

No , no , it's Plague, Pestilence, Death and the other one

Comment

Working...
                              X