X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

this is my 3rd post, but i have read these forums a lot. i was just wondering, theoretically speaking, could i use kendo with a katana? like for real and it would work?

I think a lot of people on the forum would say, "why would you want to know, or why would you want to do that, or kendo isnt for killing," and things to that extent. But ill tell you straight up, yes and no, but mostly yes. The sport of kendo is based on real swordfighting and a lot of the aspects of sword fighting are not in the art of kendo. Let me say this, if you did realy fight with a katana and you are proficient in kendo, you could probly do some damage, maybe even a lot of damage. But if you realy want to learn how to use a sword(a real blade), you should study kenjutsu.

Comment

thanks a lot, i just wish there was a kendjutsu dojo in wisconsin.......

Comment

It would depend on the kenshi, really, I'd assume.

Unless you are a very highly skilled kenshi, or your kata are quite good, your kendo probably leans more towards striking that cutting. But of course if you were using a shinken, any contact you made with a person would damage them, but it would be far less affective than, let's say, someone who has trained in iaido and knows how to handle an iaito, or perhaps even a shinken[a real, sharpened nihonto]; there is a great difference in the way one uses a bokken, shinai, and nihonto.

So, in my opinion, it is a very 'iffy' thing. And something else is that you would'nt do the same footwork that you use in kendo if your were in a real duel, for the most part, I'd guess. I think it would really depend on the person's grasp of kata in the end, if kendo was the only art practiced, I mean, but that's just me.

I'm just commenting like this because the "Why would you want to know..." question has been addressed and understood.

But yeah, if using a real sword is your goal for the future, then kendo probably isn't the art you want to study to reach it; kenjutsu or iaido would be MUCH better; they would actually help you, I mean.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the answers you get on here!

Comment

thx for all the advise, i want to learn anything i can, but the only dojo close to me teaches kendo and nothing else do any of you know of a dojo in the mid west area that teached iaido, kenjutsu etc??? oh yea, feel free to im me, im usually on AIM thx agin

Comment

Just some input. If you really want to learn as much as you can I'd say if you find an Iaido dojo and have the time, to try and learn kendo and iaido. That's just me though. Although I can't personally speak from experience, I've read countless times that iaido and kendo compliment each other quite well.

Comment

Ahmed,
              I don't see how you classify kendo as a sport. It is first and foremost a martial art, not a martial sport. Its aim is self-improvement, not competition with somebody else.

You can do some pretty good damage with a bokken, you don't have to use a katana. In fact, some of the samurai could use a bokken to dispatch an opponent quite effectively. Why bloody up your sword?

I'm not advocating the use of a katana by anyone who isn't properly schooled in its use. We don't let children operate motorcycles when they have just learned how to ride a bicycle. Giving an edged weapon to someone so they can swing it around and act like a samurai is dangerous in the least. Of course, NOBODY here would ever do that, right? We all know how dangerous katanas are and don't want anyone hurt through ignorance.

Comment

thx for the input, i think i'll stick with kendo for now, until i get the time AND money

Comment

When i said, "The sport of kendo", it was more a figure of speach then a generalization. I know kendo is an art,that is why i practice it. Yet, in a way, it is allmost like a sport, but i will not get into this, this has been argued over and over. I believe it is more of an art then a sport but i also believe it is kinda both.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed61086
                    ...if you realy want to learn how to use a sword(a real blade), you should study kenjutsu.
                    I agree. Kendo is a standardized form of sword fighting and it really is meant to be used while wearing bogu. If you're really interested in learning how to handle a live blade, then do either iaido or kenjutsu, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by yohed55
                      thx for the input, i think i'll stick with kendo for now, until i get the time AND money
                      Sorry to say yohed-chan, but kendo tends to be a slightly costly activity. Hope you're not thinking that kendo will not be a hit to your pocketbook...

Comment

thx for all the advise, i want to learn anything i can, but the only dojo close to me teaches kendo and nothing else do any of you know of a dojo in the mid west area that teached iaido, kenjutsu etc??? oh yea, feel free to im me, im usually on AIM thx agin
                        Yohed you dunno how lucky you are to have a Kendo dojo close to you, i can't even believe you said that with a sad face lol, just start with Kendo, you will learn a bit about the japanese sword even if you'll only be using a bamboo stick (shinai) for fighting and practice or a wooden one (boken) for doing forms (kata), the day you'll fly with your own wings look for some place where kenjutsu or iaido is tought and don't think your kendo experience is a waste.

Comment

I think you can, but it does take some cross training or at the least just time to get the feel of the katana, which does not have the same feel as shinai or bokuto.

Comment

Thx also i think ill take kenjutsu when i get a little older and o yea, its only 800 a year to learn it and i live at home, so it shouldnt be too hard to pay for once i start working soon
                            Last edited by yohed55; 13th July 2005, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Thx also i think ill take kenjutsu when i get a little older and o yea, its only 800 a year to learn it and i live at home, so it shouldnt be too hard to pay for once i start working soon
                              That's the spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X