No kashiwade allowed??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
    You might want to rethink that. Your best option as a new student is to just do what your sensei says, and keep your opinions to yourself.
    Well I have aspergers so It's easier said then done. I won't do it in before or duting class without his permission but I will contuine to confabulate w/ him about this.

Grr what was it in japanese again... an old saying that translated to "Never ending self-improvement"

>o<

Comment

Originally posted by Charuzu
      >Went to find the oppion of ... Barrish (et al) ... and they agree with me.
      When you say 'went', you mean what exactly? I wonder as it seems there are some details that are lacking in this conversation. I imagine they were also lacking in any interaction you might have had with Barrish et al?

Particularly, I am curious to know how you are certain that the object at the shomen of the dojo you train at is, in fact, consecrated and maintained as a kamidana. There is a bit of archived conversation on this one at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-5599.html.

>so I can get informed oppion and compile them into an creditabe augurement.
      Arguments are often more creditable when legible, lemme tell ya. Be that as it may, "the nail that sticks up will be hammered down". It's not clear to me, but it seems you are going to a lot of effort to prepare for an argument with your instructor, instead of preparing for class. Several folks have suggested a simple course of action, so there's no need to repeat here. I think it might be most productive to be a student of kendo with your kendo instructor and a student of shinto with your shinto instructor.

John

Comment

Each dojo has their own traditions. I've been in places in Japan where the reishiki deviates quite considerably from what is considered the norm. If you don't like it, leave.

Comment

Yes, I am. Thought I am quite new.

Went to find the oppion of Rev. Barrish of the Tsubaki grand shrine and other Shintoists and they agree with me.

Thats why I'm posting this... so I can get informed oppions and compile them into an creditabe augurement. So in short I am "Fact finding"
          Since you are a newbie at this, I find it a bit presumptuous of you to assume that you know all everything there is to know about Shintoism. John Seavitt raises a good point. Some dojo's here in the States have something that looks like a kamidana but is actually just there as a decoration. Real kamidana's have to be consecrated by a Shinto priest and it is rather uncommon to find one outside of Japan. I also think you're asking these other people about this completely out of context. Do they know that this particular kamidana is inside a kendo dojo? Everything you are doing is contradictory to the most basic rule of any dojo: follow your sensei and sempai. If your sensei says not to do it then don't do it! Don't provoke him into an argument. If you don't like the way he runs things, then find another dojo or one where they allow you to do that. Like I said before, to go against the grain is to mark yourself as arrogant and self-centered. Please, don't take offense to what we're telling you. We're telling you the same thing for a reason. Think EXTREMELY CAREFULLY about what you're doing.

Comment

You want to put forth a credible argument. What is the point of doing this?

Do you want to change sensei's mind about what is going on in the dojo? Even though one might think that paying respect in the dojo is different from kendo, it is not. It is all part of the same thing. So if you want to change sensei's mind about something in the dojo, it is the same as not trusting him to teach you kendo, even if it is something that might seem unrelated to you. That is why there is no value in constructing an argument.

Maybe you just want him to acknowledge your opinion? Again, you are in the dojo, presumably to learn from sensei. Sensei is trying to teach you the right way. Do you want your teacher to be swayed by the opinions of beginners about the right way? Of course not, you want the teacher to teach the right way. And if you believe that he is not teaching the right way, then we are back to the paragraph above.

If you do not want to change sensei's mind, then there is no point at all in the context of the dojo of talking to him about it. There are rules to be followed in the dojo, and it would be better to focus on learning those rules.

So there is no point in arguing, and there is not even a point (in my opinion) in understanding both sides of the issue. There are no "both sides" in the dojo. Having an opinion about the right way to bow in your dojo is like having an opinion about the sum of 5+5.

Comment

Well I have aspergers so It's easier said then done. I won't do it in before or duting class without his permission but I will contuine to confabulate w/ him about this.
              How exactly does having Asperger's Syndrome change keeping your mouth shut and simply not doing it?

Comment

For thoses wondering I have put it up on the Tsubakiko on the yahoo groups.
                And I talked it over with sensei and have decided to finnaly let it rest. So Neal and Everyone else on this board I'll do as you say.

Also, as for one who said "
                Sounds like an excuse to do whatever the hell you want. " I highly recommend that you do some fact checking before making such rude comments. For I am not doing "Whatever the hell I want" but tring to do what is right. I think that my feelings can be best described by a quote from Imagawa Sadayo "Without knowledge of Learning, one will ultimately have no military victories. One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness".

As I said I just wanted to find facts yet you go as low as just to insult without jiving ANY useful information. So in short I will go to your lever and tell you straight out at you levcer that I thin you are being quite the prick.

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM
                  How exactly does having Asperger's Syndrome change keeping your mouth shut and simply not doing it?
                  As for that when I have something on my mind I must follow through.

I am also not the person who just hears something and takes it to be true. I need to be %100 shure. For this reason my teachers in school just love/hate me. lol, It's a double bladed sword. Sometimes I cut down my opponet and other times I slit my own throat.

Also, I appoligize for calling that one guy a prick but you gotta understand, I came here to get "FACTS" to support or disprove my ideas. At first i got some useful comments and then right after it is notthing of use... only slander.

Comment

As for that when I have something on my mind I must follow through.
                    Then get reigi on your mind and follow that through!.

Jakob

Comment

Also, as for one who said "
                      Sounds like an excuse to do whatever the hell you want. "
                      Where did someone say that? I read carefully through every single post in this thread and didn't find someone saying that. Maybe someone came off as saying that but word for word it's not here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinKenshi
                        Where did someone say that? I read carefully through every single post in this thread and didn't find someone saying that. Maybe someone came off as saying that but word for word it's not here.
                        Oh that was in my rep.
                        Grrrr.... I hate it when people second guess me.
                        Also, thanks for all that useful info ShinKenshi.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt
                          Then get reigi on your mind and follow that through!.

Jakob
                          Hmm... thats new vocab? What does that mean.

Also, I'm doing 1000 suburi (almost) everyday and work on the kata and waza in my house over and over. I'm just sitting and typing becuse it is a bit to hot outside for suburi (I do it during the night or morning) and as for Kata and waza..... damm... Good point!

Nice shomen cut on my head, nice, nice....wait?! Why are you reading this insted of doing suburi, huh? (J/K)

(For those of you who don't know J/K means Joking)

Comment

Reigi is another word for etiquette. The first step is: follow your teacher. Think about that. Until you do, it doesn't matter how much suburi or whatever you do, you'll never understand anything about kendo.

Comment

Actualy if I were to follow Regi I would say that kendo is a sport. I disagree, I think it is a way of life. Also, I have to disagree with you. I think that If one lies to ones self and the world that he will lose his honesty. I pride my honesty and I refuse to just go without voicing my oppion.

Also, have you not read over my post where I said "I talked it over with sensei and have decided to finnaly let it rest. So Neal and Everyone else on this board I'll do as you say." It is post #22.
                              KingOfMyrrh, please Read and study before you start insulting people.

Comment

I refuse to just go without voicing my oppion.
                                Then don't be surprised if your teacher wont teach you.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
                                X