X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you seek from Kendo?

I've heard as many answers to this question as people I have asked.

So I figure it would be an intresting Thread

!!! I must ask that people please respect other people's answers to these questions. There is no right or wrong answer in this so there is absolutly no reason to flame anyone about their answer no matter what it may be !!!

!!That means the folks in the kouen-gumi too, you know who you are. no flaming the otaku-gumi members either, lets keep it friendly!!

The prime question:

In Kendo/Kenjutsu/Iaido/Iaijutsu/Kumdo or whatever your sword style training may be. What is it you seek as an individual to gain from your experience and training?

Secondary question:

What got you started in your sword training? What influanced you to take up training in the deadly sword arts?

my personal answer:

In my training I seek the efficent use of the Japanese sword in combat. I seek the personal confidence of knowing I can use a blade to protect myself and the ones I love.

I started into Kendo after having an accident with a Paul Chen sword that was given to me as a present. After some time in Kendo I decided to seek out the Kenjutsu arts to learn more adaptive combat techniques. I stumbled across my current school by accident and feel very much that my personal goals are being satisfied in my training.

I want to excel in my study of sword arts and to be my teachers best student.

i orginally wanted to be in kumdo becuase of Bushido i have a high respect for it and well frankly i would love to be , well if they still existed, a samurai to live for the people of japan and to be kind and serve the country with honor.

Comment

World Peace.

Comment

First off, I train in kendo and AJKF Seitei Iai/MJER Iai-jutsu.

Originally posted by 2SwordStyle
        In Kendo/Kenjutsu/Iaido/Iaijutsu/Kumdo or whatever your sword style training may be. What is it you seek as an individual to gain from your experience and training?
        I look to increase self-development. I wish to become a better human being, and I also wish to learn more of Japan's history and culture through the practice of kendo and iai.

What got you started in your sword training? What influanced you to take up training in the deadly sword arts?
        I started because I have been very interested in Japan's culture for most of my life, and had always been fascinated with the katana. I would say, most of all, that I took up kendo and iai for the discipline.

Comment

I do it to pull all the honeys.

Comment

Well, at least you're honest about it. XD

Comment

Originally posted by kuzu70
              I do it to pull all the honeys.
              I hope your kidding The % in kendo are really bad, something like 80 guys to 1 girl. You should join a choir (1-90), yoga (1-150), or aerobics (1-40)....

As for the initial question... it changes year over year...and tends to be related to my current kendo challenge. This year it is En.. learning to stay focused, present, and engaged. A pretty useful capability, in a dojo, at work, or at home.
              I find that I am a different person as a result of kendo. I like the change and the process.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                I hope your kidding The % in kendo are really bad, something like 80 guys to 1 girl. You should join a choir (1-90), yoga (1-150), or aerobics (1-40)....

Doooooh!! (ala Homer Simpson)

Comment

Erm, I took up sword arts because I found it interesting. Interesting to watch, the history of it... and, i have to admit, it was a kick ass thing to say that I did. It was the first Martial Art that I looked into, then when I went to give it a go, I ended up doing it, and haven't really stopped...

I saw my two senseis training (is it called sparring? Well the were practising some kata) in Jodo, and it had me in awe. They were so quick and accurate... I just stood and watched them. So that is probably what I seek to gain. The power and ability that they have.

Comment

I used to play alot of fighting games(MVC2,tekken, etc.) After a long time I started to be able read my opponents intentions.

Then I found out about kendo and how kendoists have been doing this for hundreds of years.

So I guess my answer would be that I study kendo to attain a higher state of being through metsuke and debana.

I also studied TKD for about 10 yrs. but I renounced alot of it after reading the Tao of Jeet Kune DO. It made me realized how commericalized TKD is. I wanted to study a style more "old school" that put as much emphasis on the mind as the body.

Comment

I like how kendo isn't commercialized and the Sensei don't do it for money, they do it for the love of kendo. Yes most girls that do kendo here ain't crackin, my dojo has a few good looking ones. BUT MANNN go to freaking Canada hottest girls all live there and practice kendo. That is where you need to go Kuzu.

Comment

I do it for:

Cute/hot/sexy guys in bogu....

ahem...

Seriously:

1. Fun
                        2. Physical and mental improvement
                        3. Something to tell me life isn't a bitch, like Mingshi's sig goes, "1000 suburis a day can keep all your bullsh!it away!"
                        4. The challenges

Karate was boring but I needed a sport that can keep me in shape while allow me to do tiny damage in the process. Besides that, Kendo is an unique sport and the main thing is I get to whack people after a week of boring work. A great way to get rid of stress. Also, instead of paying another 30K to go back to school, pay $35 a month to get yell by sensei makes me feel like I'm in school again which I am addicted to. And Kendo by all means is not that deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Yzakj
                          I like how kendo isn't commercialized and the Sensei don't do it for money, they do it for the love of kendo. Yes most girls that do kendo here ain't crackin, my dojo has a few good looking ones. BUT MANNN go to freaking Canada hottest girls all live there and practice kendo. That is where you need to go Kuzu.

yeah alot martial arts "schools" want to charge alot for many reasons(rent,children to support, bills,GREED) and they also have expensive promotion tests. But martial art "clubs" seem to charge only enough to cover their cost and like you said they teach for the LOVE of the art but one of the downsides is you may not get to practice every day with other students.

Comment

Kendo is kendo...I can't really sum up what it is without calling it...by its own name. It's been such a relief to go to the dojo and talk to people who have the same interest(s) as I do and be able to have conversations that aren't about how much homework, drugs, or alcohol someone is getting.

I think the only way I can improve the world is to improve my outlook on it using kendo. I'm a lot more calm now and don't throw temper tantrums. Hell...even at school, sometimes, when I'm not thinking, I put my hand up to my side when I walk in front of someone...who returns a pretty blank stare. I don't know...it felt so right being part of something for once. I've never been part of any school sport or club, but kendo has given me feelings of camaraderie.
                            Last edited by Andou; 3rd September 2005, 05:27 AM. Reason: I'm out of school. My brain...is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Andou
                              Kendo is kendo...I can't really sum up what it is without calling it...by its own name. It's been such a relief to go to the dojo and talk to people who have the same interest(s) as I do and be able to have conversations that aren't about how much homework, drugs, or alcohol someone is getting.

I think the only way I can improve the world is to improve my outlook on it using kendo. I'm a lot more calm now and don't throw temper tantrums. Hell...even at school, sometimes, when I'm not thinking, I put my hand up to my side when I walk in front of someone...who returns a pretty blank stare. I don't know...it felt so right being part of something for once. I've never been part of any school sport or club, but kendo has given me feelings of camaraderie.
                              culitvation of spirit is a wonderful thing. I've felt this change in myself as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X