X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on NYC Dojo's?

Hey guys.. ok, so this SoCal kenshi is thinking about moving back to NYC... My first 6 months of Kendo were at the Scarsdale Kyudokan, and it's going to be a bit farther than I will be able to travel.

So I have been researching NYC kendo and it seems that NYC Kendo Club and Ken Zen seem to be the more active Dojo's. Does anyone have any insight into these 2 schools? The SCKF is a very active and competitive federation, I hope that the East coast will be as well.

so, yea, any advice?

I don't think you can wrong with either, though my personal preference is the NYC Kendo Club and Kataoka sensei, simply because it was the first kendo I found here in the city. Ken Zen is a fine dojo and produces very good kenshi. Then there is also Shidogakuin, though I am less aware of this dojo and its operations than the other two. All have been around the city for three decades or so and are solidly established. All are located in Manhattan. By their very nature, I think that the east and west coast experiences will be somewhat different. But I don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality of the kendo, or the people you'll find around here.

Comment

Don't forget Kenshin-kai. Mid town Manhatten (around the corner from the David Letterman show)
      Where are you going to be living?
      When does your schedule permit training?
      Many people in NYC belong to one of these dojos but also practice at one or more of the others.(I belong to Kenshin-kai and am a regular at NYC too)
      I would suggest that when you get to NYC go to all of the dojos and find the one that fits you best and make that your "home".
      It is one big happy family in NYC.

There are also excelent dojos on long island and in Queens as well as N.J.

AEUSKF is revamping and planning regular seminars to develop all of the members.
      Last edited by Ignatz; 27th June 2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

There is also Hong Moo Kwan in Fort lee, NJ and in Bayside, NY. Stop by sometime.

BTW Ignatz, will I see you at NYC this Thursday? I will be going up to visit if everything goes as planned.

Comment

Due to various considerations (health and distance) I have only been going to the city on Tuesday and Friday to Kenshin-kai. If all goes well I will have another pied-a-terre in the city next year and will get to NYC more often.

I will be back from the islands for the tournament in July, hope to see yoou there.

Comment

Something I was curious about, you guys. I just read that Marvel Comics writer/editor extraordinairre Larry Hama is an iaido and kyudo practitioner. Does anyone know where in NYC he practices?

Comment

Hoping not to sound like a completely uninformed idiot, but seeing no way around it, may I ask which July tournament you're referring to, and where? Thanks.

Comment

Charlie,

I don't know for sure, but the kyudo aspect of his training must be with the club that practices out of the Shambala Center down in Chelsa, West 22nd Street, I think. I believe they are called the New York Kyudojo. They're on the web. The iaido element is a bit more complicated as there a numbr of places where he might practice. I don't know the man, and therefore wouldn't venture a guess. There is the Japanese Swordsmanship Society (I think they're called) and a number of kendo clubs/dojo where he might practice. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

Originally posted by nysamurai
                  Hoping not to sound like a completely uninformed idiot, but seeing no way around it, may I ask which July tournament you're referring to, and where? Thanks.
                  Tests are on July 9 at KenZen
                  Tournament is July 23, I think at Brooklyn but I have not seen any "official" announcement as to location.

Comment

Thanks, NYSamurai. I'm such a nerd that if I ran into him at a function I'd probably drop my jaw and act like a fanboy. "B-b-but, you're the author of the famous Storm Shadow-Snake Eyes subplot! Swooon!"

Comment

Originally posted by nysamurai
                      Charlie,

I don't know for sure, but the kyudo aspect of his training must be with the club that practices out of the Shambala Center down in Chelsa, West 22nd Street, I think.
                      yeah, thats the only place i found when looking for a kyudo place, but they pratcie really late on mondays so i can't go >>

i think the tourni is being held at polly tech again.

Comment

Ignatz and Dr. Hellsing,

Thanks for the info regards the tournament. I knew of the testing at Ken Zen and plan on being here, but had not heard anything about the late July tournament. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for additional info locally. Thanks again.

As to kyudo, I really enjoyed the experience when I was down there, but silimar to you, Dr H., the hours were tough to manage between my work schedule, my wife's, and two litte girls at home. So I had to step away. To my knowledge, they remain the ONLY game in town.

AND, it (kyudo) is just God aweful expensive and there seems to be very little, if anything, in the way of a less expensive aternatives when it comes to equipment. Acknowledging that kendo, too, can be rather expensive, at least there are alternatives and differing price points on bogu an weapons. In Manhattan, trying to get on the subway with your yumi and and a quiver full of arrows ain't easy... especially these days. Thankfully, the dojo has equipment available that they will lend out on the evenings of practice.

Comment

lol ppl will ask, "r u hunting rats or something?" XD

Comment

hyuna, a member on this forum, is from ken zen.

i hear fees are pretty expensive tho, as i would imagine it have to be considering its location.

Comment

Ill ask my sensie about the tournament. We all went last year(it was an awsome experience, my sensie actually competed and got 2nd place), but Im not sure about this year, hopefully we can pull it off. I am realy hoping I get to see him compete again, since this time around I actually understand Kendo a little bit better, so now I can marvel at his awesomeness. I thought it was an great tournament, so many good kendoka and so many teams, I am looking foward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X