X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First aid kit

I am thinking of creating a club first aid kit that can also be brought to competitions and wondered if anyone would have any sugestions/recomendations or can describe what is in theirs.

Off the bat I was thinking a variety of band- aids, spray disinfectant, wide & thin cloth tape, elastic bandages, tweezers, scisors, instant ice, baby powder, advil, nasal spray, klenex, sinus cold tablets, tiger balm, shinai knife, sand paper.

tiger balm? what are you going to use that for? scaring the Newbs and threaten to put it on thei blisters if they don't improve? hahahaha. j/k. sounds like a good list to me,

try one of those "spray on skin" thing. they help with the blister really well, and maybe some "bruising" medicine. i think it's called Tseng Gu Shuayi.Anyone know that one?

Comment

nail clipper and file. i keep them with my stuff along with some tape and band aids.

also i've gotten into the habit of carrying around asprin when i travel with my dad, just incase. I notice I started carrying it around with me anytime i'm in the company of people like him.

Comment

this may sound odd, but having bars of chocolate will be a good idea. help to keep off hunger and helps those whose sugar crashes with exercise.

Comment

A fifth of whiskey...
          Painkiller or disinfectant. Performance enhancer or sabotage syrup.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
            I am thinking of creating a club first aid kit that can also be brought to competitions and wondered if anyone would have any sugestions/recomendations or can describe what is in theirs.

Off the bat I was thinking a variety of band- aids, spray disinfectant, wide & thin cloth tape, elastic bandages, tweezers, scisors, instant ice, baby powder, advil, nasal spray, klenex, sinus cold tablets, tiger balm, shinai knife, sand paper.
            A few ideas (some more important than others, but I'll leave that to your discretion):

Tums, or some sort of stomach settler, neosporin, mouth guard for cpr, latex gloves, maybe some quick instructional pamphlet, second skin blister stuff, hot cold pads, a cough suppressent, cough drops (medicated for sore throats would be cool), sore throat spray, thermometer, femine pads (they also absorb blood very well), cayene pepper (supposed to aid clotting process and stops bleeding if applied directly to wound), maybe some sort of a laxitive pill, and maybe even a toruniquet or something. (Technically, you aren't supposed to use these, but thinking of a limb being removed by a shinken at a tameshigiri demonstration or something, I think they could be apropriate there.)

Alot of these are more for if someone became ill on a trip or something, some are very important, other more obscure, just some ideas. Hmm, I seem to be over explaining myself again...

Comment

Not to sound smart-assed but at this rate, what I think is REALLY necessary is an ambulance and possibly a paramedic on hand.

Comment

I would think that cold and cough medication is going beyond the scope of a first aid kit, no?

As neko said, they're maybe more useful if a group's going away for a few weeks, but I can't imagine someone suddenly catching and suffering from a cold at a shiai.

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx
                  A fifth of whiskey...
                  Painkiller or disinfectant. Performance enhancer or sabotage syrup.
                  .. along with hot looking nurse in short skirt with big.. urr.. to hold hand and tell folks that everything will be alright.

pete

Comment

I suggest more than one kind of analgesic in case of allergies. Maybe a ventilin inhaler in case there is exercise-induced asthma and someone has forgotten their inhaler? Not that this has ever happened to anyone I know... other than my stubborn daughter, anyways.

Comment

2nd the chocolate bar. Another commonly found item in kits are single pack glucose tablets and alcohol swabs. Ideally, someone with sugar problems will be very careful to maintain balance, but just in case... Speaking of allergies-- non-latex gloves. Inhalers aren't exactly over the counter here, kind of like the emergency anti-bee sting injectors for those with severe insect allergies.

A common problem with first aid kits--not having them restocked when things are used.

Comment

Highest Priority

A bottle opener for those non-twist off revitalizing liquids necessary to properly execute post-keiko beer waza.

MArk A. Kerstein

Comment

Splints for injured leg musculature.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet08
                            .. along with hot looking nurse in short skirt with big.. urr.. to hold hand and tell folks that everything will be alright.

pete
                            bad idea, then people will start walking into tsuki's with their head tilt upwards and neck exposed.

Comment

Mark if your country is anything as beaurocratic as the UK then you will have to make sure your 'first aid' kit looks nothing like a real First Aid Kit.

Can you imagine an incident where someone has burned themselves for example and another trained First Aider picks up your bag and finds he only has Tiger Balm, a bottle opener and Chocolate in there. Whoops.

Comment

Working...
                              X