X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore KENDO

hey all. i'm new here. be nice-ish. hah.

well. i only started learning kendo about half a year ago, and i really would like a place to train over summer break. i only get to be in singapore for these 2-3 months each year, so i don't want to waste it.

here's my problem. i've emailed Singapore Kendo Club, but they haven't replied. and i know that there are certain requirements that have to be met for enrollment. thing is, i believe i have to get a letter of recommendation from my sensei here since i've not yet been ranked, but i have less than a month left before i have to go back to singapore, and i don't know if i can get that letter ready by that time if i do really need it.

i also understand that NUS kendo club only accepts the students and staff there.

i'm afraid that NYP kendo club is the same, but i'm awaiting a reply.

just in case NYP also does not fall through, does anyone know of anywhere else that i might be able to contact regarding this???

Just do it!

If you don't get a reply then just drop by with your stuff and there you go. Kendo is the same all over the world nobody will turn you away.

Comment

I'll ask a friend at SKC, if you want. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send an email...

Comment

Buon Giorno

Originally posted by cesarekim View Post
        I'll ask a friend at SKC, if you want. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send an email...
        Where would we be without our friends eh?

Comment

Probably still in Oracle *sigh*....

Comment

thanks so much

Comment

I know some people are going to flame me for saying this. But if you check the website of SKC, they have weird application requirements.

Maybe what they aimed for is to only accept people who are serious in kendo? To prevent crazy people from wanting to join and pretend to be a samurai? Limited training space? Limited qualified instructors?

Weird things that I found.
              1) Apply for beginner's class and those shortlisted will have an audition, and those who passed audition will be invited to join?
              (What's this? Next Supermodel or American idol? I guess those who got accepted will throw a big party with their friends and family?)

2) 90% attendance in 6 months beginners class?
              (strict but I do wonder what happen if something important came up and your attendance fell)

3) One of the membership requirements, Foreign Kendokas with 5th kyu and bogu?
              (import restrictions on bogus into singapore, or they share bogus? Or having a bogu is a mark of status?)

4) Foreign kendoka with less than 5th kyu with instructor's recommendation can join. But local kendokas need at least 3rd kyu.
              (If you read between the lines, it does sound like discrimination against locals. And its cheaper/easier to join and learn kendo overseas)

5) Membership fees (~US$80 a year). When you drop membership and rejoin, If you do not have a valid and APPROVED exemption reason (such as being overseas) and if you rejoin. you have to pay all those years that you dropped out of membership.
              (Maybe I interpreted their charter wrongly, but in either case, dont want to discuss what this implies)

Most federations seek to promote their sport. But SKC which is also the country's kendo governing body and is supported by government/taxpayers funds, seem to be supressing it.

Any singapore kendoka wish to explain why the rules are so strict/weird.
              I'm an overseas singaporean, so hopefully I get my 5th kyu before I return home so that I qualify to join. OR NOT if they interpret foreign as non-singaporeans.

Comment

Just wanted to add there are only 3 kendo clubs in the Singapore. 2 of them are in colleges and only allow students and faculty of their respective colleges to join. the other is SKC

Singapore Kendo Club (SKC) is therefore the only kendo club in the country that is OPEN to the PUBLIC.

So if you fail to get in, no more kendo for you and think about what other sports you might prefer.

Comment

i found that very strange as well. but i hope i can find out what's really going on when i start practicing with them.

Comment

Isn't Singapore the country that beats Vandals in public with Shinai?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
                      Isn't Singapore the country that beats Vandals in public with Shinai?

no! shinai can't cut into the flesh! but what they use can. >_>

i think we should stop here. lest a flame war erupts.

Comment

Did they send a team to the 13th WKC? and if so, how did they do?

Comment

Originally posted by cesarekim View Post
                          Hey, can you pass me any information regarding SKC, from your friend? I've been searching for kendo in this stupid country of mine for quite some time and the SKC site is always dead (Maybe it's just me.), and there seems to be zero way of contacting them. (Amazing huh? A Singaporean asking someone overseas for help about some Singapore stuff.)

As for those weird requirements, I wouldn't be surprise if it's exactly as you posted, aloe. Singapore have some of the stupidest and most ridiculous requirements for any and everything. Makes you wonder if this country is run by apes.
                          Last edited by Earende; 12th April 2008, 02:22 AM.

Comment

The website was ok last week. And its now down, Maybe someone got mad and tsuki the website administartor.

When I was younger, I remember there were one or 2 kendo clubs that can be found in the conmmunity centers.

Somehow I feel that they are restricting on purpose. politics in the kendo club? Maybe the ones who represent singapore in the world kendo championship are the committee members themselves? Less people joining means lesser possibility that someone will beat them and replace them on the national team?

Singapore is more "corrupted" than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by aloe View Post
                              The website was ok last week. And its now down, Maybe someone got mad and tsuki the website administartor.

When I was younger, I remember there were one or 2 kendo clubs that can be found in the conmmunity centers.

Somehow I feel that they are restricting on purpose. politics in the kendo club? Maybe the ones who represent singapore in the world kendo championship are the committee members themselves? Less people joining means lesser possibility that someone will beat them and replace them on the national team?

Singapore is more "corrupted" than you think.
                              I think it's never a good idea to try to get involved in the politics and such speculation. And, since you intend to start kendo and practice there eventually, you wouldn't want to burn your bridges, right? Just a thought...

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
                              X