X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo in QingDao China

anyone know if there are any dojo/dojang in qingdao/tsingtao?
    going to be there for couple of days and would like to visit a dojo for a day.

No, but I like to drink Tsing Tao!

...which looks to be the same pronunciation as "QingDao"...

maybe they just drink beer there... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
      No, but I like to drink Tsing Tao!

...which looks to be the same pronunciation as "QingDao"...

maybe they just drink beer there... good luck!

pronounced ching dow

the brewery was established by the Germans who ran the place in colonial days

we stopped there as part of our round the world yacht race

(not a great city :-(( )

Comment

so wait.... the Tsing Tao brewery is actually in the city of QingDao?

I realize they are pronounced the same..

I was just taking a shot in the dark on that..

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
          so wait.... the Tsing Tao brewery is actually in the city of QingDao?

I realize they are pronounced the same..

I was just taking a shot in the dark on that..
          F***ing great big brewery too :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingtao_Brewery

the beer is definitely the best thing about the place :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nonamehandle View Post
            anyone know if there are any dojo/dojang in qingdao/tsingtao?
            going to be there for couple of days and would like to visit a dojo for a day.
            I looked around on Chinese websites and there does not seem to be any.

However, due to Qingdao's proximity to S. Korea, it is possible there is a sizable Korean business community there, and you might be able to find kumdo dojangs in that community. However, you will have to do that search in Korean, as Korean dojangs sometimes are a bit segregated from the local Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilMcLaughlin View Post
              the beer is definitely the best thing about the place :-)
              That place must be pretty bad then. Tsingtoa tastes like what I imagine my urine must taste like after a heavy night of boozing.

Comment

Hi everyone, I have been to QinDao on a business trip earlier this year and I really like the place. The air is much better than here in Shanghai and the food especially the see food is excellent. No wonder about 10% of the population is korean and it is china's top spot for korean tourists.

When I lived in Japan I was convinced that TsingTao (actually an older spelling of the pinyin Qindao) is smelly and doesn't taste. However in China it tastes completly different, just as you simply can't drink Suntory Beer in China, which is worse than happoshu.

Besides... since when did Americans qualify for judging about beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Osakajinyan View Post
                  Besides... since when did Americans qualify for judging about beer?
                  Ever since the Asians started brewing. Thai has done a bang up job however.

Comment

Tsing Tsao is a good beer. Like Singha and Chang in Thailand it's origins are German. It's probably too pure a tast for you Americans!

Comment

Originally posted by Maro View Post
                      too pure a tast
                      Yeah. Pure sh!t.
                      Hey, the co-founders of Anheuser-Busch were German immigrants but that doesnt make Budweiser taste any better. (Bud is the Belgian's problem now, so let's see if they can do something with that crap.) Tsing Tao is pee pee in a bottle and you dont have to be a beer connoisseur to figure that out.

Comment

I bet you drink Pabst!

Comment

God no. I forgot that PBR existed.
                          Actually VB is one of my all time faves. Alas none of that to be had in Japan.

Comment

follow-up

just a quick follow-up

couldn't find any dojo in qingdao. possibly maybe a korean dojo but did not check too deeply for this trip. did enjoy the trip. the weather was a bit foul but i liked walking along the beach. the people seemed pretty up beat, maybe cause the olympics were quite near. the architecture was interesting and lot of quaint places to stroll around. found a great sauna and a below average italian restaurant (i think owned by an italian-american).

oh i drank tsing tao beer. and i liked it but i've always liked qingdao with chinese food.

Comment

As I said the Tsing Tao in China tastes very different from the one you can buy in Japan. It can easily compete with the Japanese beers in Japan, but I am very can't wait to have my next Schlappe Seppel. Lucky for me I will fly to Germany next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X