Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covina Kendo Dojo

Hello there.

I have been supremely interested in pursuing Kendo, and have looked for local dojos.

The closest one to me is Covina Kendo Dojo, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience at that specific dojo.

At any rate I *should* be going for my first time this Tuesday or Thursday.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Mike,

Welcome. Although I have not been to the dojo I have heard good things about it. I forgot his name but a fellow from Covina used to come and practice with us (when I lived in Costa Mesa) sometimes. He was a really nice guy. Anyways good luck. You are lucky to be able to do kendo in SoCal. You have so many good sensei and high ranking students to learn from down there.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am pretty excited for my first session.

Thanks again.

Comment

Did you know they have a website?

www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6360/

They've got some very good instructors there..

Comment

Yeah, I ran into the website a few days ago. Hopefully I'll take to it when I go Tuesday evening. Not too expensive either.

Comment

I've been there many times. There is bunch of people who practice there. Everyone is nice. The practice was divided into 4-5 groups. 1(beginner class) ,2(adult class), 3(kids class), 4(advanced class), sometimes 5(womens class). They have Senseis(teachers/instructors) that are 4 dan (black belt, 4th "in karate terms") and above instructing each group. I say that dojo has about over 70 people practicing every week. The best time to go is thursday. Tuesday, the practice is held in a different place and the floor is very hard and cold. So I recomend going on thursday.

Comment

Tenken, I am taking your advice. I went to watch for a few minutes tonight (Tuesday). I am going to actually start on Thursday though.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

After sleeping on it I'm not sure if Kendo is for me. I am going to look at different martial arts before I commit to anything. Thanks for your input though.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMJH
                  After sleeping on it I'm not sure if Kendo is for me. I am going to look at different martial arts before I commit to anything. Thanks for your input though.

Exactly what are you looking for?

Iaido
                  Iaijutsu
                  Kenjutsu

There are a lot of choices in Southern California.

Comment

After sleeping on it I'm not sure if Kendo is for me.
                    Oh my !
                    What have you seen in Covina dojo that scared you off?
                    You know, you have your national team members training there... and everything must just look better than anything else.

Comment

Mingshi don't say that. You're going to scare him off some more. Sorry, But you should at least go see the thursday practice though. I will be there. Just look for a guy who is swinging with one arm. Or if you stay long enough, the guy who is sitting on top right side. and more likly, I'll come late.

Comment

I gave the wrong impression. I am still going to the Thursday practice, but as Kusarigama mentioned, believe I am looking for something more like Iaido.

We'll see after Thursday though.

Tenken, I'll look for you.

By the way, does anyone know of any Iaido dojos in this area?

Comment

i'd like to go thursday but i have work....tenken i might not make JCI but i'm gonna try , i have your video ready for you ...

Comment

By the way, does anyone know of any Iaido dojos in this area?
                            I think the only two in SoCal area are Chuo dojo and Norwalk. Also there is a really nice aikido dojo in Little Tokyo that teaches iaido as well but it is extremely expensive seems pretty exclusive. Also I hear there is a kenjutsu school that opened up in Costa Mesa.

Mike what are you looking for? If you want action go with kendo. If you want to play samurai try iaido or kenjutsu. The closest thing you are going to get to "real" sword play in kendo is kata. Which is unfortunately not emphasized because people think it's boring Luckly I got to attend the kata seminar with Yamaguchi sensei before moving

Comment

Well, I'm not necessarily looking for action, nor am I looking to "play samurai." I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                              X