Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear of this Dojo in NYC?

Hi everyone
    I've been lurking around the forums for a few days now. I've never done Kendo before, although I used to do Kempo karate several years ago.

I am looking at joining a dojo, but the only one that I can go to (as far as I know) is the U.S. Budo Kai Kan, (in NYC). I'm in grad school and all of my classes are evening classes, so I can only go on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays.

I have been trying to find some information about the school and the teacher, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the net. The teacher is Grandmaster Rico Guy. Does anyone know of the school or the teacher? Are they reputable?

I am a little skeptical because it says (on their website) that they teach classes in two different types of Karate, Iado and Kendo. Can a person be good at that many different things? It says that Grandmaster Rico Guy has high level dans (10th, 8th, etc) in the different ones (8th dan in Kendo I think). Is that sufficient?

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!

From the web site:

"All classes are overseen by Chief Grand Master Rico Guy and taught by his highly trained black belts.He is founder and head of the U.S. Budo Kai-Kan celebrating its 30th anniversary. Mr. Guy is ranked as follows: Iaido (samurai sword) 9th degree; Kendo (stickfighting) 8th degree; Goju-Ryu Karate 10th degree; and Go Kempo-Jitsu he is founder and 10th degree."

While I have no personal experience with this Dojo I would run not walk away from it as quickly as possible. NYC has several excellent Dojo's so there is no good reason to accept less. Might I recommend the following possibilities?

http://www.nyckendo.com/

Also Ken Zen's web site is off line but there is excellent instruction available there as well. Ken-Zen Institute 54 Thomas St. New York, NY 10013

Comment

Have you checked the AUSKF dojo locator?
      NY has a nice selection of good dojos to go to, is this really the only one you can make? It's worth traveling a little extra to get to the good stuff, IMO.

I don't see this guy listed and I'm pretty sure there's no american hachi dans in The budo kai-kan website doesn't look like legit kendo to me but I could be wrong. It certainly doesn't look traditional.

good luck.

Comment

But is it alright to only go once a week? I can't go on Tuesdays and Thursdays since I have class at that time.

Comment

He's not 8th dan in kendo. I don't know about his other qualifications, but he is not associated with the regular kendo organizations and the little "kendo in action" clip is proof to me that you should stay away from this fellow. If you do some searching on e-budo you can find out more on this guy, none of it good.

I think Ken-zen Institute has classes on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons, maybe some of the NYC guys can confirm.

Comment

I belive it's Wednesday and Saturday at Ken Zen. At our dojo, Shidogakuin, it's currently Monday, Tuesday and Sunday. There's also NYC Kendo and Kenshinkai. Those are the four AUSKF-affiliated dojos in Manhattan.

Visit the dojos first and figure out which one suits your schedule. Also take in the "atmosphere."

It's a bit hard to progress with practicing only once a week, especially as a beginner. Once a week is barely maintenance level, IMHO. You need at least twice a week.
            Last edited by Halcyon; 8th November 2008, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialArtsGirl View Post
              But is it alright to only go once a week?
              Absolutely fine. The first few months will just be learning how to hold the shinai and walk and strike. Oh and just that part is hard enough that it will take the rest of your life to figure out.
              Most of your practice will be repetitive and not really requiring any interaction with a partner so 1x/week is fine.
              In our dojo, beginners only are allowed 1 class a week anyway, so that's not uncommon.

Comment

What about Kendo USA? (actually from their website it looks like its technically Kemdo). from the ones that I've looked at, its the only dojo that I'd be able to attend twice a week. I got it from that AUSKF website... I'd rather do Kendo, though, but if it's the only one...

I wish Ken Zen's website was up!! Then I could know for sure as to when they meet. Whether or not they meet on Sunday is a matter of whether or not I'd be able to go.

Either way thank you SO much!!

Comment

Well, that is, unless it was ok to meet 1x a week.

I saw a website that said that Ken Zen meets Tue, Thur, Saturdays and Sundays. And that the unlimited fee is $75 (not including the membership fee?) Is that even accurate?

Anyway, as far as the 1x a week thing, unless there were other times, I would be looking at 1x a week for the next 2 years.

I love my grad program in so many ways...but I really hate the way they only offer classes at night. Its great for part time students who are working full time- which is not what I am.

Anyway thank you so much everyone!

Comment

What about Kendo USA? (actually from their website it looks like its technically Kemdo).
                    The kendo-usa.org website is a resource for legitimate kendo, affiliated with the AUSKF and all that good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                      I belive it's Wednesday and Saturday at Ken Zen. At our dojo, Shidogakuin, it's currently Monday, Tuesday and Sunday. There's also NYC Kendo and Kenshinkai. Those are the four AUSKF-affiliated dojos in Manhattan.

Visit the dojos first and figure out which one suits your schedule. Also take in the "atmosphere."

It's a bit hard to progress with practicing only once a week, especially as a beginner. Once a week is barely maintenance level, IMHO. You need at least twice a week.
                      Shidogakuin's new location and schedule

Ken Zen, 54 Thomas St. (Church and Thomas intersection)
                      kendo: Tue, Thurs, Sat 7-9pm, Sun 12:30-2pm
                      iaido: Wed 6-8pm, Sat 4-6pm

Comment

Actually I am wondering, does it really matter if it's Kumdo or Kendo? From what I read on this site, they are pretty much the same except for their country of origin.

Is that mostly true? Does it make a difference?

Comment

I saw a website that said that Ken Zen meets Tue, Thur, Saturdays and Sundays. And that the unlimited fee is $75 (not including the membership fee?) Is that even accurate?
                          Kendo at Ken Zen is $75/month. Membership fee is $150, I am pretty sure it's a one-time fee. Iaido is $50/month. I think if you do both kendo and iaido, you get a $10 discount.

Comment

Actually I am wondering, does it really matter if it's Kumdo or Kendo? From what I read on this site, they are pretty much the same except for their country of origin.

Is that mostly true? Does it make a difference?
                            I would say they are the same, except Kumdo terms are in Korean; Kendo terms are in Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                              I disagree. An absolute beginner is probably the only case where you can see real improvement going only once a week. Later on in your career it's tough to improve with once/week practice. The real problem with a once/week schedule is that it so often degenerates into less than that. If you have practice twice a week, odds are you can make at least one of them. Once a week, life is going to prevent you from practicing every week.

But the original dojo you were looking at is crap. Twice a week there is wasting twice as much time as once a week there. Looks like Shidogakuin has a schedule you might live with, and they are the real deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X