Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo in Las Vegas,NV

Hello to all,

It has been a long time since I have posted anything in the forums. I am happy to say that after who knows how long it has been that kendo has come back to Las Vegas. I finally found someone who is cappable of teaching kendo. There are only a few of us now, but hopefully there will be more. Hopefully we will be able to join the kendo federation soon and be recognized as a club. If any of you guys/gals live in Las Vegas and want info please email me (mkumakagef@wmconnect.com).

Hello to all,
    For those of you wanting to get information on the kendo classes my email has changed. you can email me at maflores@sprintpcs.com, or reach me by phone 581-1329. The dojo number is 220-5301 you can speak with James Sterling.

Comment

ooops i meant to put my right email address maflores744@sprintpcs.com

Manny

Comment

I got tired of having trouble with all my previous email address so I decided to get a yahoo address (lasvegas_kendo@yahoo.com). For those who have any questions about our class feel free to email me.

Comment

Woot, I hail from Reno, whats up boys down south

Comment

Not much just a small class maybe about 2 dozen if they all show up. Right now about 10-12 show up for class every week. I have been tring to find a place that has a wooden floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Swissv2
              Woot, I hail from Reno, whats up boys down south
              Woot times two for any group in las vegas that can find time for kendo inbetween slot machines and chicken ranches

Comment

slots machines are everywhere. We get bored pretty quick, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kumakage View Post
                  Hello to all,

It has been a long time since I have posted anything in the forums. I am happy to say that after who knows how long it has been that kendo has come back to Las Vegas. I finally found someone who is cappable of teaching kendo. There are only a few of us now, but hopefully there will be more. Hopefully we will be able to join the kendo federation soon and be recognized as a club. If any of you guys/gals live in Las Vegas and want info please email me (mkumakagef@wmconnect.com).
                  hey man do u still train there?
                  i went there on monday and there was only 1 person there getting a lesson.

Comment

Kendo in Las Vegas

I'm interested in finding a class here in LV too. I have seen a few, one by this Jon Kaufman but no response to speak of and the other one by a couple of people who teach Korean martial arts and call it Kumdo.

I've also been looking for some good Iaido classes, though I'd take almost any group that came along as long as they could help me advance.

Comment

Originally posted by KOokami View Post
                      I'm interested in finding a class here in LV too. I have seen a few, one by this Jon Kaufman but no response to speak of and the other one by a couple of people who teach Korean martial arts and call it Kumdo.

I've also been looking for some good Iaido classes, though I'd take almost any group that came along as long as they could help me advance.
                      Hi!

There is Araki Ryu Iaido available to you.

Contact Robert Corella-sensei.

Last I heard they had a dojo in Las Vegas as well as in Phoenix, AZ. No idea idea if that has changed or not.

Here is the website with the contact info. He also is on this forum as "Robert Corella." So, you could PM him, but I don't know how often he frequents this forum. Try e-mailing him instead.

http://www.kenshindojo.net/Home.html

I'd stay away from the Kumdo. There are no AUSKF affiliated Kumdo dojangs there and they are likely McDojos.

There is also MJER(Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu-Jikishinkai branch) in Las Vegas. It is a study group as the instructor is Nidan(2nd dan).

http://www.musoken.com/

That's all that is legitimate so far as Iaido goes that I have, in Las Vegas. You don't want just any group. You want to make sure they are legitimate or you'll just learn bogus things. There are too many fakes trying to "teach" sword out there. You have to be careful what dojo you go to.

Hope this helps!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
                        Hi!

I'd stay away from the Kumdo. There are no AUSKF affiliated Kumdo dojangs there and they are likely McDojos.

Kaoru
                        just have to correct you there. Kumdo doesnt mean McDojo, there are some Kendo McDojos out there too. in fact, KKA has a couple of dojangs here in the US and is no part of the AUSKF under a group named the Western Kumdo Fed. Instead of staying away from any place that says they're Kumdo, I'd do some research and ask if they're part of the Korean Kumdo Assoiation or 대한검도회.

Comment

thanks joonshik, looking out for us kumdo guys

Comment

Originally posted by JoonShik View Post
                            just have to correct you there. Kumdo doesnt mean McDojo, there are some Kendo McDojos out there too. in fact, KKA has a couple of dojangs here in the US and is no part of the AUSKF under a group named the Western Kumdo Fed. Instead of staying away from any place that says they're Kumdo, I'd do some research and ask if they're part of the Korean Kumdo Assoiation or 대한검도회.
                            I know. But, a huge lot of Kumdo dojang ARE McDojo. That's why you have to check them out. I should have added that, but it was late and wasn't thinking about that. Thanks for the reminder! There are kendo McDojos too, but there are more legit kendo dojo than there are kumdo dojang that I've found.

Anyway, according to the AUSKF newsletter, the KKA dojos that formed that new regional federation and became members of the AUSKF are in Seattle, WA and in California. Apparently, none are in Las Vegas from that regional federation then.
                            So, yes, it's good to see if they are members of the KKA. If not, then don't attend there.

I thought it was called the Western Kendo Federation. Darn, can't remember. There was a recent update posted on this, but I couldn't find it. And, yes, this small group of KKA members are now a member of the AUSKF.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Kaoru

Comment

Kaoru,
                              Thank you for thinking of us in Las Vegas. We now have two iaido dojo in the city. One is in North Las Vegas and the other is in Henderson. Below is the website; araki_ryu.nv.googlepages.com or you can always contact me directly at bcorella@cox.net.

As a side note, we are planning on starting a dojo in Bremerton, Washington in Janurary of 2008 and another dojo in springfield, Illionis in April 2008.

Again, thanks for thinking of us.
                              Bob Corella
                              araki ryu iaido
                              kenshindojo.net

Comment

Working...
                              X