X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo Summer Camps

Does anyone know of any summer camps (preferably in the North America region) that would be suitable for adults? I'd really like to have a week-long training session to improve myself, but my local group is having their camp the last week of August, which is a bit of a problem for me.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Shambler
    Does anyone know of any summer camps (preferably in the North America region) that would be suitable for adults? I'd really like to have a week-long training session to improve myself, but my local group is having their camp the last week of August, which is a bit of a problem for me.

I'm not sure of any camps but if you have the time, effort, and cash, you could always go on a solo Kendo tour. Map out a few dojos you would like to visit and visit them one by one.

I myself am planning a tour into Texas sometime in Jan/Feb. I figure I'd stop by the group in Oklahoma City for a practice, drive down to Dallas the next day for their practice, hit Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. Then head back to Dallas for another practice and OK City again. It worked out to be about 12 days with a practice on every day at a different place. (Texas because it is the close state with more than one dojo in it).

Or you could tour the east coast or something. Just a thought...

Comment

I am not sure, but I thought that the Shidogakuin dojos (spelling?) have some kind of summer camp. Don't know the age groups or anything, but look it up and ask them for more info. They got an email address that you can respond to if I remember correctly.

Comment

NCKF (Northern California Kendo Federation) puts on a 3-day summer camp, usually the first weekend in August. The last couple of years it has been held in Santa Clara (about an hour south of San Francisco). Great opportunity to learn from the many senseis. Last year Ota-sensei and Tomita-sensei came from Japan to lead the seminar. At $50 (USD) for 3 days, plus a barbecue lunch on Sunday (OK, so that makes it 2 1/2 days), it's a great value.

srt

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
          I am not sure, but I thought that the Shidogakuin dojos (spelling?) have some kind of summer camp. Don't know the age groups or anything, but look it up and ask them for more info. They got an email address that you can respond to if I remember correctly.
          yes, that's the one I was talking about... I'd definately go, but it's the last week of August, which I simply cannot do, as I'm moving into college that week.

Comment

Originally posted by srt
            NCKF (Northern California Kendo Federation) puts on a 3-day summer camp, usually the first weekend in August. The last couple of years it has been held in Santa Clara (about an hour south of San Francisco). Great opportunity to learn from the many senseis. Last year Ota-sensei and Tomita-sensei came from Japan to lead the seminar. At $50 (USD) for 3 days, plus a barbecue lunch on Sunday (OK, so that makes it 2 1/2 days), it's a great value.

srt
            That sounds like a good one to look forward to. Do they have a website or anything with more information?

Comment

Summer camps

Obukan sponsors one every summer, contact Stroud-sensei through http://www.obukan.com/ Also Toronto Kendo Club usually runs one, their website is http://www.toronto-kendo-club.ca/

Comment

That sounds like a good one to look forward to. Do they have a website or anything with more information?
                go to http://www.nckf.org and look around. Ota sensei has been coming to each and every summer camp since it started IIRC. I've went 3 out of the 5 years (or was it 6?) that it actually has been done. He brought Kakehashi sensei once and he brought Sato sensei last year. (lots of Sato senseis, but it was the one who competed 4 or 5 years back in the AJKC and lost to Miyazaki in the quarterfinals).

First thing to start of the first morning of camp? 1000 suburi.. The first time I did it, I think I did like 973.

Tim

Comment

The NCKF one in Aug is very good. I've been to the last two. Even traveled from South Cal for it this past year.

Comment

Working...
                  X