X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 (Swine) Flu and Your Dojo

With H1N1 concerns in the public, how are your dojos handling it? Are you recommending that students who feel sick or are recently coming from an affected area hold off on coming to keiko? Have any of you sent out any notices?

Originally posted by ChaShu View Post
    With H1N1 concerns in the public, how are your dojos handling it? Are you recommending that students who feel sick or are recently coming from an affected area hold off on coming to keiko? Have any of you sent out any notices?
    Doom! Dooooooom! Doooooooooooooom!

Not over-reacting unlike most of the media would be a good place to start.

Comment

The problem is the media has really messed this up. soo much false or assumed information put out by the media that people don't understand how contracting the flu works.

But the basic rule with cold & flu like symptoms are stay in bed, fluids & don't go popping antibiotics. For me, I just take tylenol cold/flu medicine. Sneeze or cough into your elbow.

Hand washing, not touching your face(rubbing your eyes, picking your nose), not using public utilities like phones, Atms, etc... use automactic doors instead of touching doorknobs. get an adequate amount of sleep & eat healhty--this keeps the immune system strong. allow your sick friends to rest & have quiet time.

Comment

I think the concern is the (unfortunately) flying saliva during keiko...

Comment

We haven't put any rules in effect. Not really all that concerned myself but we always have told people (in general) not to come to practice if they are feeling bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt View Post

hahahahaha, agreed! my sentiments exactly.

Comment

Here is a simple test to determine if you have swine flu. Hope it helps you and your dojo make this complicated decision.

Comment

And another one: http://doihaveswineflu.org/

Comment

A naginata sempai of mine has her parents scheduled to fly in from Japan next weekend for her graduation. She got a panicked call from them; apparently, the Japanese media are hyping the entire North American continent as a death trap right now. She managed to calm them down and convince them to still come.

Comment

Yeah, we had the same problem during the SARS scare. We're 3000 km from Toronto but people didn't want to fly here.

Comment

It would be unfortunate if fatigue from too much overblown news coverage makes people less wary than they should be. Previous deadly flu pandemics came in waves, and the virus certainly could come back in a nastier form. The current virus appears to not have some key characteristics of the 1918 strain, but it is jumping from person to person, and it's virulence could change. It's kind of scary to realize that a person with two different flu virus infections at once is a laboratory for gene-swapping between the two strains. I'm less than certain we've dodged the bullet quite yet.

Comment

Not a single case in Italy....yet....

Comment

Bit late to reply but...

Why worry about it? Seriously. How many people have died from it so far? Not very many. I think US still has only 2.

The swine flu symptoms are more mild than the symptoms of the regular flu. Also, 7 people die every hour from the regular flu versus the 2 that have died total from the swine flu.

So, imho, the swine flu should be handled just like the regular flu in people's attitudes towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raffa View Post
                            I'll bring some to Sportilia!

(Just a joke!)

Comment

Originally posted by Raffa View Post
                              Ignore all other advice from media and medicos;

PASTA AND OLIVE OIL ARE THE ANSWER!!!

sorry for shouting....

Comment