Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One the subject of age of members at Wakaba - which was mentioned in the original post as a concern - I happened to look at Wakaba's membership file yesterday and I think there are about 5 members aged between 14 and 16 - so maybe you visited on a day they were not there? At least 4 are regular attenders, coming most weeks.

Also, on the topic of what you were taught: the emphasis in Wakaba is to let people learn through experience. It's not about long lectures on every detail - and we certainly would not worry about every aspect of your technique being correct on your first visit. Learning the 'basics' is a lifetime's work, so if you think something was missed out, you may have somewhat ambitious expectations about what is achieveable in one hour. Still, if you don't trust your sensei and think you already know better, good luck to you. I'm not sure you will ever find somewhere satisfactory with that attitude.

Wakaba and Mumeshi both have excellent reputations. If you want 'proof' - well, the winner of the London Cup this year teaches at Wakaba and the Winner of the Premier's Cup practices at Mumeshi. That, of course, just proves that each club has a couple of people good at shiai, but it's about all the proof you could get other thant the comments of the people who have posted here...

Tora, near Waterloo, also takes people over 15 - so that may be another one to try: www.torakendo.co.uk - their sensei were also at Wakaba yesterday and include the former UK Men's Squad Captain and Korean Women's Squad Captain... so I guess they also think the Wakaba practice is okay too.

Comment

I also don't want to show too much bias, but on the basis of your age and background and your concerns for care & attention to teaching - Wakaba is by far the most youth orientated club in London, with specific class taken away to be taught separately from adults.

Give Wakaba more of chance, youth of today come and go, and as Paul says, perhaps you missed them on the occasion you visited. I don't want to identify individuals but can think of one girl your age who started Kendo very young, and is now a young 2nd dan, and still only a kid (OK so not seen her for a while, exams...?) - she is inspiring, and lovely with it. I see kids every week there, supported by parents too - its a happy relaxed weekend atmosphere with two 5 dan Japanese sensei leading the practice...they are good teachers, who don't bombared anyone of any age with too much in one go.

Mumeishi is another long established club - I can't speak for the youth percentages there having not been in a while but feel that Wakaba has more kids under 18 than other Britsh clubs...

(as to one comment, indeed as a girl, there is a Naginata class before Kendo - that's same bogu, a little extra and more kata (no bogu) - if you're traveling some distance, and you want to try or do both) and insured to accept juniors but each is on a case by case basis [www.naginata.org.uk]).

Some answers here have been passionate replies, of experienced Kendo folks, who are also .good guys/friends too - so don't take to heart you may have offended them, they've been bashed harder than this ;-) but remember, this is hobby that people teach generously for free in their spare time - to make it the best practice for you the student and themselves as responsible volunteer teachers (sensei). Good luck in your quest for the ultimate club.
      Last edited by Budo Angel; 13th July 2009, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorArts View Post
        ... Are you serious? Lol.
        Yes, of course I will return, I really do like the club, especially how friendly they are, and they were especially patient with me, as I couldn't seem to be able to shout. ...
        I am just in a bit of a panic right now, because only 2 clubs, Wakaba and Mumeishi, practices Kendo, is in London, and takes in under 15s. That's why I am a bit torn between which one to chose.
        I really don't want to have regrets later on.
        But again, I suppose I can always experience both clubs by going to both, switching every few weeks... Or just doing both Saturday and Sunday.
        Most people will advice you against going to two different dojo when you're a beginner. Reason why? Because as a beginner (especially one at your or younger age) it's very hard to interpreted the advice given. Often the advice given seems to conflict with each other also teaching styles and some minor differences in technique can occur and might lead to difficulties.

Good luck on your search, hope you find a dojo nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorArts View Post
          ... Are you serious? Lol.
          Yes, of course I will return, I really do like the club, especially how friendly they are, and they were especially patient with me, as I couldn't seem to be able to shout. ...
          I am just in a bit of a panic right now, because only 2 clubs, Wakaba and Mumeishi, practices Kendo, is in London, and takes in under 15s. That's why I am a bit torn between which one to chose.
          I really don't want to have regrets later on.
          But again, I suppose I can always experience both clubs by going to both, switching every few weeks... Or just doing both Saturday and Sunday.
          Deadly serious. I was visiting during summer term and he was injured so had not brought his men so any men cuts we practiced he would block. He suggested I 'really went for it and hold nothing back'. This was about 15 years ago and I was a bit more sprightly and I guess my reach was a little short because I missed the target altogether and nearly took his eye out. After a brief pause to check if he was OK it was 'back on the horse with the same request and unfortunately the same result.

So I was terribly embarrased at the thought of going back, which was pointless as he didn't recall the incident, not surprising with so many years of kendo practice.

Well good luck with whatever dojo you choose. from the advice you've been given you will be well served in either of the two clubs. I will say that if I was living in London [weekend activities permitting] I'd probably check out Wakaba on a regular basis as I really liked the atmosphere and the variety of the members. I recall in particualr one individual who had the fastest kiri-kaeshi I've ever received. I struggled to block his cuts which in comparrison to how far he's moving his shinai indicates how fast it was, awesome stuff. I'd say that if you liked it and they were patient with you then perhaps that's the place you should go and be a little patient with them. It all comes together eventually.
          Last edited by dwez; 13th July 2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

As a newbie in any dojo, you'll never get to much dumped on you at once. Basically "here, this is a shinai" ....they'll work on you just getting comfortable with it and start with that and staying square. At lest we do and it seems to work out fine..................after a few weeks you get more thrown at you information wise and most people have a hard time digesting it all to which Sensei always replies with a smile and "Don't worry your mind will sort it all out later.......confusing isn't it?"

Though I haven't had the pleasure of practicing at the dojo you visited I would listen to the advice of those who posted here, go to a few classes, have fun and learn some good Kendo. You'll see your inerpretation of 'good or bad' Kendo change pretty radically once your actually doing it in earnest. I think you actually need to be doing this a few years before you can genuinely offer an opinion on what you think Kendo is. Bear in mind that your opinion of Kendo is based purely on your exposure to it and your experience thus far, so get thee to the dojo and train.

Most of all I would like to say welcome to kendo and be sure to enjoy it! Those that stick with it take it quite seriously and personally I have found it made me the person I am today. (Sats....stop snickering)

Comment

I started kendo at Wakaba and practised there for a few years before around 3 years ago changing to mumeshi, first of all to answer you're question: yes mumeshi is good especially for someone you're age as the guy above says mumeshi like any club would want to invest in a player who can take part in junior competitions as well as training a player from a young age to improve and eventually break into the adult practise, but this doesnt really differentiate it from wakaba or any other club, i'm 17 right now and at your age was changing between these two clubs, i think everybody (or i hope) can agree that wakaba wasnt as good as it used to be but whatever i say its still a top club and bringing the excuse thats its got more top senseis is bullshit if your a gd kendo teacher you'd more than likely train more than once a week whether at hizen, kodokan or mumeshi etc. so top teachers including those touring over UK from other countries often visit both clubs in london especially as they are after each other on the weekend, but honestly I don't know why you asked this question on a kendo forum, the easiest and best way for you to decide which club to join is just to go to both practise sessions and decide which you prefer rather than listen to strangers on the internet, as usually i see 'Gibbo' master of dickheads and shit jokes is being a nob, plus when i left wakaba i rememebered there were lots of news kids just joining kendo there, it wud be intresting to know what happened to them if as you say theyres none at wakaba now

Comment

*grabs popcorn*

Comment

So, hmmm, "Ishido" apparently "left" Wakaba 3 years ago, but only joins KW just to comment on this post on 08-08-2009... are you really 17? Are those spelling mistakes deliberate? I'm not totally convinced that post is legit...
                  Last edited by Paul Gray; 9th August 2009, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, some underhand tactics here methinks. Not good budo. A straight fight while looking into your opponents' eyes is much better.

Comment

Warrior Arts, you posted me the very same question via Youtube . . . .you seem to be passing judgement on something you have no knowledge on, learning the "Basics" as you questioned me on will be taught in any club, it's what you put into Kendo that will make the basics work for you or not work for you . . . worrying about which club is better is in all honesty a few years up the line if you stick it out, until then stick the nearest and easiest to get to then when you've earnt the right to pass judgement on who may be better for you give the other club a try.

Nice to see the Dojo knockers seem to be crawling out from under their rocks too . . . Ishido, whilst you may have some grudge against "Gibbo", at least he posts under his own name, do we need to say anymore ?

Comment

Originally posted by sparky2488 View Post
                        Ishido, whilst you may have some grudge against "Gibbo", at least he posts under his own name, do we need to say anymore ?
                        This is what I like about E-Budo. Real names are required from all members.

Comment

You guys really are the brains of the operation, ishido is my surname, if you dont believe me theres probably some website on this god forsaken internet with a list of common japanese surnames, now thats out of the way what else were u oafs complaining about? ah yes on the subject of only joining this ridiculous forum chat to post my reply i suggest you grab a seat around the fire, it started on the stroke of midnight between the 8th and 9th of the month of august, as you may of observed it is currently the middle of the summer holidays, as i stated early being 17 i wanted to check about the Mumeshi 3's and which age group i would be in before the competition commenced in november whatever, only peering down the google search list i noticed this particularly debate and seeing as it involved mumeshi kendo club, which i attend, and i had time to kill i believed this would be a fantastic oppurtunity to sit back and relax and enjoy this.... exciting conversation, anyway unfortunately with my humane and charitable personalitity i couldnt help but offer my assistant and yes i admit voice my opinion on the situation (yes u caught me red handed oh dear), only by joining the network could i carry out such an process, thus hopefully i have answered your question as to why i only joined to comment on here, for the sake of paul grays doubts as to my former presence at wakabe, i used to go to the japanese school at chalk farm as you know this was also the former establishment for wakaba kendo under hamm( i think thats how u spell) sensei i left for mumeshi probably a year or two after we moved into Britannia soon after deguchi sensei left for japan.

on the believe you guys grasp that i have some 'beef' with gibbo if you put on your spectacles grandads you'll notice that i only mentioned it in passing a dozen words or so at the end of my post, even then you can see i only put a spin on his own signature and brand him no more than a nob, simply a sign of jest, but knowing that it might be taken to seriously, i'm apoligise will you ever forgive me? but honestly and i'm guessing you know him he will probably reply to this in some condesending fashion, next as for the spelling mistakes i have the bad habit of just typing quickly rather than checking through my post numerous times, finally paul gray am i really 17? No i'm some 50 year old peadophile trying to chat up teenage girls on a kendo website, i hope you're not american and understand sarcasm, oh and sparky on the fact that he posts under his own name sorry i forgot gibbo is called the Great I am how silly of me, anyway i hate to reply to this as the original post was about mumeshi rather than me but i hope i have answered all your questions, if not you drones can enquire further no doubt over the next weeks or so i'll be popping in here at midnight to chuckle over this debate once more, btw dont expect a reply over the next week or so i'm going to japan

Comment

Originally posted by Ishido View Post
                            No i'm some 50 year old peadophile trying to chat up teenage girls on a kendo website
                            Sweet - I'm really a 17 yr old girl looking to date 50 yr old paedophiles. Let's meet up. How about at Mumeishi this weekend? I'll be the big girl with the beard and the flowery dress.

Comment

And I'm guessing sparky is your real name? moron

Comment

A quick look on Sparky's 'about me' profile will demonstrate who is the moron here.

Comment

Working...
                                X