X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo in Belfast

Hi everybody ! I need some information about Belfast. I go to North Ireland to learn English on February and I look for a kendo club there. Could you give me a dojos address where I could to practice it . Thanks a lot for your help. See you.

Bonjour,

No there is no kendo club in Belfast.

If you dare cross the border, please come and practice with us in Dublin

Ben

Comment

Check out some of these posts on the subject

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sea...archid=3265476

Maybe there are some people training under the radar, perhaps you have the skillz to start something going, bobdonny indicates there is plenty of support from the Irish Kendo Federation to help in this.

Comment

Thanks you for your answers!

Ps: Benjimaru: I would really have liked to practice with you but my destination is Belfast. I keep your invitation if I visit Dublin one day Bye

Comment

Hi Ieiko,

It is only 2 hours on the train to Dublin from Belfast!

Kathryn.

Comment

if you are interested, there is an excellent iaido class, (which was also interested in doing kendo some time ago...no teacher though).
            email John, he heads up a great bunch of guys there... http://www.roshukai-ireland.org/

Comment

Hi everyone,
              I realise this thread is a little old now, I'm just wondering if there are any recent updates on the subject of a Kendo class starting up in Belfast? (I'm aware of the Roshukai Iaido club in Bangor, and I have met John on a few occasions, but I've never heard of him mention a possibility of starting Kendo classes).
              Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by aikidoka-bfast View Post
                Hi everyone,
                I realise this thread is a little old now, I'm just wondering if there are any recent updates on the subject of a Kendo class starting up in Belfast? (I'm aware of the Roshukai Iaido club in Bangor, and I have met John on a few occasions, but I've never heard of him mention a possibility of starting Kendo classes).
                Thanks for the help
                Also, I forgot to mention, I also know of the Kendo classes held in Dublin, at the minute, it's very difficult for me to travel that far. I am primarily interested in learning, but (I forget who it was, but I think that someone mentioned maybe helping with starting the first Kendo club in Belfast in another thread) I am also prepared to give as much of my free time as possible to helping set up a club, but seeing I'd be a total beginner, I'm unsure as to how I would be of much help, but I'm always willing to try
                Last edited by aikidoka-bfast; 4th August 2010, 01:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I was only looking at this thread yesterday as I updated some of the markers on the Kendo Clubs of Great Britain Google Map. Not that any of that helps as there still seems to be no joy in Belfast. Sadly my link on the subject no longer works but there seemed to be plenty of people who are keen and plenty of support from Kendo na hireann. It's highly unlikely you can get a club opened on your own with the current BKA requirements but there's a few examples here of those in the States and other places of folk who have started 'study groups' and built them into clubs. Good luck with it.

Try this

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sea...earchid=479579

Comment

Thanks for the help Dwez, unfortunately, your link isn't working. Yeah, I've noticed that there was a lot of interest in the past with opening a dojo in Belfast in the past, I think it would be a great idea, and the support from Kendo na hireann would be excellent since as you say, the requirements for the BKA are pretty strict, though I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't a dojo here in Belfast, considering it's also seems to be part of their jurisdiction. Yes, I'm a member of an Aikido group in Belfast that originally began as a 'study group', which has slowly grown into a club.

Comment

Sorry about the link, it was just a search for 'Belfast' which you probably saw most of the responses anyway. My main reason for creating the Kendo Clubs of great Britain Google Map was purely to see where the gaps are. Belfast is a sursprise but it's always surprised me there are none in Cumbria and only a few in Wales. Clubs come and go and some of the new startups, like businesses, have the shortest lifespan but even long standing clubs close, like Preston did recently.

However some of these closures take place because the sensei moves. Perhaps your Aikido background may well put you into contact with an experienced kendoka some time in the future. If enough people are interested it's something to build on.

Comment

hi, im john from dublin. if you can generate some interest and get a club started, I could maybe make a trip once a month? im sure if you can get people together and arrange a time, that hellbunnie would also make the trip!

and like she said, its only 2 hours away! we have people regularly coming to us from Wexford and nass for training. why not come down on Sundays? if you book a rail ticket online it'll be dirt cheap!

it might not be much, but it will get you started at least!

Comment

Hi all, there is now a dojo in Northern Ireland!

Ojika NI, led by John Kelso- please visit the website at www.ojikani.com or contact the club at info@ojikani.com.

Anyone interested in kendo or wants to help support the new dojo is very welcome and would be gratefully received.

Comment

Working...
                          X