X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendo in jacksonville FL

i head throw the grape vine that someone is looking to open or start a kendo club in Jacksonville fl has any body got any info or know anything about this let me know

I've been looking around for something here in Jacksonville myself, I'm on the south side and my ability to travel is pretty restricted, at best i'm thinking a one hour trip one way... I've been surfing forums pretty much all day to see if i can find something, so if i do i'll let you know

Comment

Only in Orlando or UCF..... sorry boys..

Comment

I'm actually about to start a Kendo school in Orange Park fairly soon. I'm just looking for a place to teach, but my sempei and myself currently train a few days a week if anyone wants to join us. My experience in Kendo is over 10 years worth to include the last 3 in Japan. I'm originally from South Florida where I trained under Shihan Ernie Reynolds Soke since I was five in Judo. If your interested in the school you can email me at BlackDragonJax@gmail.com or call me at 904-472-8223.

P.S. I have extra bogu if you need it.

Comment

i will be moving to jacksonville soon and looking for a school maybe we can start one

Comment

I am not trying to doubt you or anything. I am very happy to see another kenshi in Florida. But I would love to find out what dojo did you trained before ? There are only handful of Kendo dojo in Florida so we know most of them. Are you going to join SEUSKF ? We are planning to have a seminar for Florida Kenshi and testing on December 4 at Bartow highschool. If you want to get more information, please let us know.

Originally posted by BlackDragonJax View Post
            I'm actually about to start a Kendo school in Orange Park fairly soon. I'm just looking for a place to teach, but my sempei and myself currently train a few days a week if anyone wants to join us. My experience in Kendo is over 10 years worth to include the last 3 in Japan. I'm originally from South Florida where I trained under Shihan Ernie Reynolds Soke since I was five in Judo. If your interested in the school you can email me at BlackDragonJax@gmail.com or call me at 904-472-8223.

P.S. I have extra bogu if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker View Post
              I am not trying to doubt you or anything. I am very happy to see another kenshi in Florida. But I would love to find out what dojo did you trained before ? There are only handful of Kendo dojo in Florida so we know most of them. Are you going to join SEUSKF ? We are planning to have a seminar for Florida Kenshi and testing on December 4 at Bartow highschool. If you want to get more information, please let us know.
              My original school was in Ft. Lauderdale under Soke Ernie Reynolds, who is now in Tennesse (http://blackdragonassociation.com/). I started Judo with Soke Reynolds when I was five and got into Kendo when I was 19. About five years ago I moved to Key West and was teaching there, but it was only for a few months (transferred) and with two students. Prior to leaving Ft. Lauderdale I was teaching Judo for about four years. For the past three years I have been in Japan and studied the first year at a school near Seya in Kanagawa prefecture. After that I trained with some of the Japanese police near Yamato.

As for the SEUSKF, I had Hardenstine over this past weekend and he gave me some info on your federation and your upcoming seminar. Our styles seem to be a bit different, but it is always good to learn new styles and techniques. I'd love to talk with you about the federation and might be able to come to your seminar. Email me at blackdragonjax@gmail.com or feel free to give me a call.

Tom

Comment

P.S. If I don't reply right away on here, it because I usually check this site weekly. Most of my off time is dedicated to my masters degree right now or training. Feel free to call me or email me. ^^ Arigato Gozaimashita

Comment

As far as I am aware there is really only one 'style' of kendo or are you referring to some form of kenjutsu or kumdo or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                    As far as I am aware there is really only one 'style' of kendo or are you referring to some form of kenjutsu or kumdo or something else?
                    True enough there is only one style per say, but some schools focus on mens or dos or kotes, others are more rounded, some are more offense or defense. For instance my school practices all five stances, Jodan, Chudan, Gaydan, Wakigaki, and Hasso. Most schools just teach Chudan and Jodan. When I was training in Japan it was more about offense and I was scolded for using blocks at times. My school we learn ni-to fairly early as kyus, I know some schools only teach it at dan level. The schools I went to didn't have kata in kendo, only iaido, but like Hardenstine's school, they do kendo kata (looking foreword to learning those). The rules of kendo are fundamentally the same, but each school has its own quirks I guess you can say. That was my meaning ;-)

Comment

I see your meaning. I think you'll find that most, if not all, schools (at least schools that are part of the IKF) spend at least some time on kata as they are part of the promotion exams from ikkyu and above. Hasso, gedan, and wakigamae are not used in most kendo clubs worldwide as they have limited utility in shiai and are definitely frowned upon to use in shinsa. Nito and jodan are practiced in various clubs usually based on a few factors including the head sensei's preference, physical disability, etc. Chudan is the basic kamae and I think you'll find that most, if not all, higher ranked kendo sensei (ie 7 dan and above) from every country will agree that good kendo needs to have a base in chudan even if they use nito or jodan themselves. Kendo IS about offense, not defense. Blocking is discouraged because kendo is not about winning, it is about building the spirit and character and the commitment to offense (and the concept of sutemi) is a basic tenent of kendo.

Comment

I actually just bought a book on kendo kata and I was thinking about going to Orlando for that seminar next month. I always enjoy learning different techniques and how various regions have different traits. I also agree chudan is the best stance and should be taught to kyus as the main stance, but learning other stances helps with seeing different angles of attack and how to defend or counter the stance if it is used against you. I guess you can look at it from a few different angles, is kendo more of a sport to you, an actual martial art that can be used in combat, or something more akin to physical fitness? This is more based on the school and sensei. I prefer to know a bit about each and define my own personal style based on what works or doesn't work for me personally. Judo is the same way. You have traditional judo where you learn all the techniques and kata, but judo can be defined as self defense, sport, mma, or Olympic based on the focus of techniques. Did you know there are strikes in judo? Most people don't, but if you read Professor Kano's kodokan judo book there is a section on striking, which virtually no judo schools teach. In the end my point is, even if certain techniques are not the norm for a school, federation or whatever, that doesn't take away from its value in the art. Someone at sometime created each of the techniques and stances for a reason, so why not embrace them? Just my views ;-)

Comment

Just looking at the Black Dragon website and judging by your comments, it seems to me that you have not been learning what most of us refer to as kendo, that is the FIK standard kendo that is taught world-wide.

Comment

Your right, we don't follow the FIK standards. My sensei was studying kendo originally from a family run school in Japan around when the first All Japan Kendo Federation was established and well prior to the FIK. Now why my sensei doesn't affiliate with the various federations is unknown to me, most likely because I know he avoids the politics. While my style of kendo might not be the same way you were taught kendo, it is still kendo. We have the same strike points, stances, etc. As for myself I'd like to learn how the various federations train and their way. I say the more knowledge the better, I like to be open to new things. As for my teaching style, if I affiliate with a federation, I will teach the way the federation wishes so my students can be ranked under the federation in case they want to go elsewhere and there is a federation school. I will still teach my sensei's style and be under his association as well (he is the one that taught me since 5 and out of respect I will always be his student), but make the distinction between the requirements and how to perform at tournaments. Now I wish I could say that I have been able to train at a federation school outside of Japan, but there are no other schools as you can see by this post in Jacksonville.

I would be interested in becoming ranked in a federation and I have already emailed the AUSKF and just recently the SEUSKF about the requirements and what would be needed to become a member. I'm sure over time I can make that happen and welcome the challenge.

In the end I wish to have the most rounded education in Kendo for myself and my students, as well as being able to enjoy some good matches and camaraderie among all kendoist.

Comment

Hi BlackDragonJax,

I used to live in Florida. What is your name?

Page

Comment

Working...
                              X