X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place to Train

Hi, I'm new to kendo and I was wondering... Is it okay to train in my backyard? I've killed all of the grass in a big rectangle so it's just dirt... But do I need someone to be there watching me? Which leads me to another question. My friend and I have been learning Kendo from a book, and I was wondering if that is alright. I think my form is right, but if someone could show me a website with a "hot-to" video or something like that, it would be a lot of help.

--Saku

Do you practice kendo with a qualified instructor? If not, the first thing you need to do is find a dojo (or more than one if possible) near you and check out a few classes. Books are only useful if you put them towards what you have learned at the dojo. Kendo cannot be learned on your own or with a book.

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx
      Do you practice kendo with a qualified instructor? If not, the first thing you need to do is find a dojo (or more than one if possible) near you and check out a few classes. Books are only useful if you put them towards what you have learned at the dojo. Kendo cannot be learned on your own or with a book.
      thats true. I was talking to my favorite instructor for martial arts last night who usually talks to me about kendo and such too, and he said its better to get the books about philophisy or something, because you cant really learn much form from a book. He said if you wanted to learn a form, to get it from an instructor who knows it and train with him or something... but.. this sucks for me, since theres no kendo dojos where I live, and the closest one is at a University, wich is halfway across the state, and the other is all the way across the state in Stamford, CT. -.-x Enfield sucks. unless I find a martial arts place nearby that teaches kendo also, but I highly doubt it. *sigh* I could try to find one of my instructors that knows Kendo or Iaido and teach it to me but I'm not sure if itll work. *shrugs* oh well lol

Comment

Working...
      X