X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo Search Near Albany, NY

I realize that there have been several previous threads about this particular area in the past, and I've read them over, but I was hoping I could find some answers here. I searched the AUSKF and other federation sites, and as was stated before, the closest dojos I could find were far south and west.

However, there was one in Schenectady, NY called Meito Kukan. Now, I've looked at their website, but there's no information about where they're located, who the instructor is, or where they practice, etc... I learned by reading something in the archive that the previous teacher left for a dojo in NYC, and the senior member would be the one to contact. So I emailed them a while ago, but no one has responded. Have they closed down? If anyone could tell me anything about this dojo I would really appreciate it.

I am a former student at meitokukan about 10 years ago. You can follow up with Hyuna who used to run the kendo side of things. From the best of my knowledge they are still around as I have seen their iaido students. Perhaps try contacting Stanley Kiyonaga?

Another way might be to try contacting the RPI kendo club. Some of them might still have ties to meitokukan.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try contacting RPI, I have a few friends who are in college there. How would I contact Stanley Kiyonaga or Hyuna?

Comment

Hi,

I just sent you an email response, but I will also respond here.

My Name is Paul Wilson and run the Kendo Half of Meito Kukan in Schenectady. We practice every Sunday from 12:00 to 2:00 or when ever we get done. We are a very small club with no proper Kendo Sensi so we take regular trips to Ken Zen in NYC and Seiz Zen Kai in Amherst. Right now we have a visiting Korean Sensi practicing with us for one more week.

Looking forward to practicing with you
        Paul Wilson

Comment

I am also a former student of Meitokukan. I was gonna direct you to Paul. Hyun sensei moved to NYC (Ken Zen) a few years ago.

Comment

Hi, I was looking around the forums and for a long while I believed the Meito Kukan dojo had closed down. it pleases me to see that it's indeed still up and running, but I have some questions I hoped you could answer.

I guess I'll just state them here...

Firstly, would you like prior notification for a sit-in (trial) class?

And what should I bring to that said class?

For your trips down to NYC, how do you guys usually get down there? Carpool? Bus? Train?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these, I just joined kendo-world literally five minutes ago, so I'm not sure how the contact messages (like PM's) work and all so if you could either answer here or at my email (zhongyihwa@gmail.com), I'd be much obliged.

Again, thank you very much!
            -Lawrence

Comment

Meitokukan has always been hard to track down, I couldn't find it my first two years in the capital area because the AUSKF had the wrong address and there was no website.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhongyihwa View Post
                Hi, I was looking around the forums and for a long while I believed the Meito Kukan dojo had closed down. it pleases me to see that it's indeed still up and running, but I have some questions I hoped you could answer.

I guess I'll just state them here...
                Yep we are still alive and thanks to the offer of a new member we may even get the web site issues straightened out.

Firstly, would you like prior notification for a sit-in (trial) class?
                You can visit any class you like without prior notification. That said if you let us know in advance we can make sure a smiling face is there to met you.

And what should I bring to that said class?
                All that is required is some lose fitting clothing.

For your trips down to NYC, how do you guys usually get down there? Carpool? Bus? Train?
                We generally carpool.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these, I just joined kendo-world literally five minutes ago, so I'm not sure how the contact messages (like PM's) work and all so if you could either answer here or at my email (zhongyihwa@gmail.com), I'd be much obliged.

Again, thank you very much!
                -Lawrence
                Please feel free to contact me directly: nuki.waza@gmail.com

Paul Wilson

Comment

Re: Meitokukan School

Dear Mr. Paul Wilson,

Would you tell me where is your Kendo school in Schenectady, NY? I have had no success in finding it. I wish to have my daughter learn Kendo. She is ten-years-old. Thank you.

Sincerely,
                  Lucero.

Originally posted by Munnin View Post
                  I just sent you an email response, but I will also respond here.

My Name is Paul Wilson and run the Kendo Half of Meito Kukan in Schenectady. We practice every Sunday from 12:00 to 2:00 or when ever we get done. We are a very small club with no proper Kendo Sensi so we take regular trips to Ken Zen in NYC and Seiz Zen Kai in Amherst. Right now we have a visiting Korean Sensi practicing with us for one more week.

Looking forward to practicing with you
                  Paul Wilson

Comment

I have already replied to this person but for people who find this thread in the future please try meitokukan.com

Comment

Working...
                    X