X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah GA

Does anyone know of any unlisted/unaffiiliated dojos in Savannah GA? I've practiced kendo and iaido for a little over a year in Dallas, and now that I'm here in Savannah for college (SCAD) I can't find anywhere to practice. I've tried the school's gym to practice by myself, but being located in the basement of a bank building, the ceiling is too low to do anything but seated waza in iai. I've tried locating some karate dojos in the area but their emails are all defunct. If anyone can help me locate some other place of practice here I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,

James

James,
    I know a few people that drive up to Charleston on Sundays for Kendo. We practice at the Citadel from 3-5:30pm. It's about a 2hr drive...not too bad. I think there may be something coming to Savannah in the future, but for now Charleston is the closest choice! Hope you can come some time!
    Jamie

Comment

Two hour drive? That would be quite a walk With no transportation (and I don't think I can convince the SCAD buses to take me across state lines ) that is unfortunately out of the question. Thanks for the tip though, that might be something for next year or after that.

James

Comment

Savannah dojo

>Dallas, and now that I'm here in Savannah for college (SCAD)

There are three people from Raleigh who are at SCAD; they do kendo

There is also a professor at a nearby college who goes to Charleston.

James Parker, 5th dan, and prev president of SEUSKF is down there at the Army base.

Put up a notice at SCAD! Also, contact Parker sensei jamesparker@coastalnow.net

I'm sure he will please to start a Savannah dojo!

Regards

Don

contact me if you have problems with the above email address

dseto@gmu.edu

Comment

>There is also a professor at a nearby college who goes to Charleston.

Tom Murphy is his name

Comment

I've heard Parker Sensei was going to try to set up a dojo down there. They apparently go over to the Citadel Academy to practice. I suppose if anyone would know it would be the sensei.

Comment

Ooh, yay! Thanks a ton for the email, maybe I don't have to give up hope after all. Given the nature of the student body here (sequential art aka comic book majors, game design majors like myself, etc,) I'm pretty sure finding other interested students would be no problem at all. In fact, this guy who didn't even know I practice kendo asked me the other day if there are any kendo dojo around here, since he had started up over winter break. A fortuitous sign?

Thanks again!!!

James

Comment

James,

Hey.. how is everything?
                hope you find nice dojo....

...and when back in town, more than welcome to practice with us~

hiro

Comment

Hey Hiro, good to hear from you. SCAD is going great, thanks! I'll be sure to let you folks back at DFWKIK know if I luck out and find a dojo

Cheers,

James

Comment

Working...
                  X