X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo in Colorado

I joined the Colorado Springs Kendo group last fall. I have to say that if you're in the area and looking to join a school, this is a great one. Everyone was very inviting, and I really enjoy West Sensei.

Nice. I am up in Longmont, Colorado with Yamakage Dojo, and I am glad that you found a great group.

Comment

Unfortunately I live in Salida and have to drive 2 + hours to go to class, but it's worth it. What federation does your Dojo belong to?

Comment

SWKIF and (I am pretty confident but I have never seen it in writing so its hearsay on my part) AUSKF

Comment

I thought you guys were SWKIF, but wanted to check. They don't seem to make a lot of sense geographically. We are too. Are you heading to Dallas for the taikai?

Comment

Colorado is technically southwest (in general and not just for kendo) because it is a desert state, etc etc etc, I think. Always felt like "central west" would be an appropriate name for the region though. Meh. And yeah. I am planning on attending, for sure.

Comment

I hear ya on the desert state, but shouldn't it be in the Rocky Mountain Kendo Federation? There's an Omaha, NE school that's also Southwest, not Midwest, and I think that there's a Lincoln, NE school that's Rocky Mountain. Confusing.

See you all in Dallas! It will be my first testing!

Comment

AFIK, federations aren't strictly specific to a particular region. There's no rule prohibiting a dojo to belong to a whichever regional federation they wish to as long as they're paying their dues and abiding by that federation's rules. And you don't have to worry about AUSKF affiliation. If your dojo belongs to one of the regional federations, then you belong to the AUSKF.

Comment

Ah that makes sense. So I imagine that if someone branches off to start a school (ie from relocation and whatnot) they most likely join the federation they were already in regardless of where they are geographically.

Comment

yes and no, it can be a bit more political than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ender84567 View Post
                      yes and no, it can be a bit more political than that.
                      Political? How so?

Comment

Working...
                      X