X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Kendoka in Petawawa or area?

I was just wondering if there were any kendoka in or around Petawawa that would like to get together and practice.

Or if there is a group already practising in the area.

Where is Petawawa?

Comment

It's a town that's home to a military base in Ontario about 2 hours WNW of Ottawa. Probably the closest club is Ottawa. The Ontario list is here.

Comment

Thank you Neil, but I was actually just looking for some people in my area that would like just like to get together and practice. The commute to any Ottawa kendo clubs is a bit much.

Comment

I understand, just answering the question. If you work at the base you may be able to at least arrange practice space for cheap which is always a headache. One of our guys works at CFB Dundurn and was able to get the base gym for a nominal rate for iaido practice.

Comment

Arxx - I'm just posted back to Petawawa and am looking for folks who want to train in the area. I've been practicing with JCCC in Toronto on and off since 2005. I was able to make a practice here in TO last night, and one of the guys had mentioned that someone (you) had posted looking for someone to practice with. I'm on holidays right now, but will be back in Pet on 21 August.

Comment

We've had folks on and off from Petawawa practicing in the last few years, maybe it's time to organize a club and get one of the seniors from Ottawa up once a month? Neil can put you guys in touch with Colin for information about organizing on a base.

Kim.

Comment

Actually it was one of our members, Tyler Davey, who organized things at CFB Dundurn. Turns out the military is just fine with the practice of martial arts involving weapons - who knew?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                  Actually it was one of our members, Tyler Davey, who organized things at CFB Dundurn. Turns out the military is just fine with the practice of martial arts involving weapons - who knew?
                  Aha, to him then go questions about the process.

Actually I have heard stories of folks trying to take their iaito onto bases and having a hard time of it. Which always struck me as just a bit ironic.

Kim.

Comment

Neil - it's actually hit and miss depending on where you are. Two years ago I was kicked out of the base gym in Pet because their policy is no weapons based martial arts in base facilities that are also used by the general public, unless you have an organized/approved club. It's something I've been trying to change, but the progress is glacial. The more voices we have the better, but I've not heard back from the original poster. I'm back there next week, so I'll start advertising to find any other lost kendoka. I'm hoping someone else turns up.

Comment

OK. PM me if you want Tyler's email, I'm sure he'd be glad to help however he can.

Comment

I have been working with another military guy for a number of years to try to get PSP support for Kendo. I spend a lot of time travelling to Comox, Kingston, Ottawa and Borden...

When in Trenton I try to make the trip to the Kingston Kendo Club... Closest to Comox is UVic... and although Vancouver is just across the strait... it is faster to get to UVic then to Vancouver.

It would be nice to get a list of players to connect from base to base... I tried it a few years ago, posted it on here even, but not much response at that time. Maybe it is time to try to breathe some new life into the project.

The chap I was working with even made CF style Zekken!!!

Cheers

John

Comment

Had a chat with Tyler about the process, and it wasn't an easy thing. It took around 2 months to jump through all the hoops, he had to write a boatload of paperwork and make presentations and all that jazz.

Comment

Same story here. I say we, but mostly was the other guy, that had to do similar stuff. I think the only difference was that we were trying to get a “Canadian Forces Kendo Club” going, so we could access various military resources like training facilities, equipment, transport etc as well as try to get CISM http://www.cism-milsport.org/eng/001...1_homepage.asp recognition.

Here is the thread I started back in 2008 on the topic. http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/sho...anadian+Forces

If anybody is interested, look me up on the DWAN and we can exchange ideas.

Cheers

John

Comment

Working...
                            X