Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo Beginner moving to Bangkok

Hello Kendo World!

My name is John, and I am 24 years old. I currently live in Chicago, USA, but will be moving to Thailand in October.

I will be doing my best to find a place to do Kendo in Bangkok. From searching it looks like there are definitely some good places to train and most of the people there are actually Japanese. I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone here is a member of a Bangkok dojo. It would be great to know someone a little bit on my first day.

Also wondering; is it bad to cold-call/email a dojo about joining?

=Start Introduction (skip if you want)=
    I have been studying in Aikido for 4 years at Tenshinkan Dojo under Toyoda Sensei. I feel like I'm still a beginning in Aikido, but I recently attained 4th kyu (taking it kind of slow I guess heh)
    I think it's a wonderful dojo and I am very sad to be leaving it.

I have a small amount of experience with Kendo and Iaido.
    At Tenshinkan, I expressed interest in training in Kendo, but the club was on "hiatus". They practice "Haga Dojo" style which is supposed to be rougher and pre-war style Kendo (sounded pretty cool to me, but I've heard it has a bad reputation).

Since I was eager to train, a few of the members started showing up for morning classes. I had the opportunity to train in Kendo, Kenjutsu, and Iaido twice a week at 7am for about 8 months, but it was usually with only 1 other sempai.

The Sensei only showed up for one class, but I will never forget it! I had heard many scary stories about him from others at the dojo, but I didn't think he was a cruel person. The training was very intense, and I fought him. He really kicked my ass and pulled my Men off, but in a very calm way that caught me off guard. I fantasize about fighting him again one day, and maybe making some headway.

Finally, as it became 2011, the Sensei shut down the club saying that we weren't dedicating enough time to practice in order to learn it the correct way. So it has more than a year since I have practiced.

I didn't own a bogu until recently. I got very lucky one day and found three Men, two Do, and a Tare in a thrift store for $28 total!! I bought everything and gave away the extra pieces to the other Kendo people I trained with from before. I just bought some nice Kote to complete the bogu and I'm extremely excited to train now!

Anyway, glad to be a member of Kendo World! Thank you to anyone reading.

Originally posted by zorgitron View Post
    Also wondering; is it bad to cold-call/email a dojo about joining?
    I don't see why not. That's how most people start their communication with a dojo.

Although, if there's more than one dojo in Bangkok, I'd ask to visit them and try to spend a bit of time in each one before choosing one to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dervish View Post
      I don't see why not. That's how most people start their communication with a dojo.

Although, if there's more than one dojo in Bangkok, I'd ask to visit them and try to spend a bit of time in each one before choosing one to commit.
      Heh, yes maybe it's obvious that I should contact them. I just saw a post on here about something like that, maybe it was for a Japanese dojo, I can't remember.

Here's all the bogu stuff I picked up at that thrift store, if people like pictures.

IMG_7997 by zorgitronn, on Flickr

Comment

The doh facing this way

Comment

As was trying to say before the system took control, the doh facing this way on the left looks more like a Kendo one than the right-side one due to the munet; the men left-side looks OK but the two on the right, not sure if for Kendo. Anyway, good for you that you found them, and keep on persevering! Thailand will be hot, so hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tort-Speed View Post
            As was trying to say before the system took control, the doh facing this way on the left looks more like a Kendo one than the right-side one due to the munet; the men left-side looks OK but the two on the right, not sure if for Kendo. Anyway, good for you that you found them, and keep on persevering! Thailand will be hot, so hang in there.
            Hi Tort Speed,
            Oh no! The Men and Do on the left is what I gave away... If these other two aren't for Kendo, I wonder what they're for. Is this something that will look weird to use during practice?

Comment

Working...
            X