X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah or Tokyo Dojo?

I live in Savannah, Georgia and would like to become interested in Kendo. The first thing that springs to mind is to find a dojo, right? I haven't extensively searched, but I have used sites linked to Kendo world and it seems like their isn't one.

Alternatively, I may spend the summer with my father on the airforce base in Tokyo (not sure if it's exact location) and was wondering if dojos in japan would except international students.

In addition, I'd like some basic information on kendo. I don't expect I'll be able to study very effectively online, but just basic stuff that probably wouldn't be on a website- how much money I'd invest, ect.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Zaxser; 5th April 2004, 08:14 PM. Reason: EDIT: How could I spell "Savannah" wrong? Twice? Sorry.

Originally posted by Zaxser
    I live in Savannah, Georgia and would like to become interested in Kendo. The first thing that springs to mind is to find a dojo, right? I haven't extensively searched, but I have used sites linked to Kendo world and it seems like their isn't one.

Alternatively, I may spend the summer with my father on the airforce base in Tokyo (not sure if it's exact location) and was wondering if dojos in japan would except international students.

In addition, I'd like some basic information on kendo. I don't expect I'll be able to study very effectively online, but just basic stuff that probably wouldn't be on a website- how much money I'd invest, ect.

Thanks in advance.
    Most kendo dojos have a monthly fee. Contact the dojo for that information. You may also need to pay annual dues for the AUSKF and your local kendo federation.
    In the beginning, you will only need to buy your own shinai, $30. Later, you will need your own uniform. And then later, you will need your own armor. Do not buy all these things at once in the beginning. You will most likely have months in between starting, getting a uniform, and getting armor. Therefore, you don't need to invest a lot in the beginning. Costs are spread out over time.

Georgia Kendo Alliance
    Athletic Club Northeast (Aerobics Room)
    1515 Sheridan Road N.E.
    Atlanta, GA
    Th 7:30-9:00pm
    Sa Beginners 5:00-6:00pm
    Sa 6:15-7:45pm

Georgia Japanese Language School Kendo Club
    Lindley Middle School
    Atlanta, GA
    Sa 3:00-5:00pm

Peachtree City Kendo Club
    Glenloch Rec Center
    Peachtree City, GA
    Sa 6-8:30PM

Comment

Antlanta isn't anywhere near convenient for me, but if I can hold off for a year, I can get my driver's liscense and hopefully it'll be alot easier. I also like the idea of spreading cost through long periods of time. Do dojos usually provide access to equipment? It would make it much more convenient rather than having to include credit card and shipping costs.

Comment

Hello Zaxser,

For Savannah, I bet that's one hot place to do kendo! Good luck finding a dojo with (hopefully) a good air conditioner!

As for Japan, if you have a sincere interest in learning kendo (which you obviously do since you are posting in this forum) you should have no trouble joining some practices at the local budo-kan or martial arts gym. Sometimes, Japanese teachers are very fond of foriegn students and you just might have a wonderful experience learning and practicing with the locals. Best of luck to you in Japan and in kendo!

Comment

In the US, most dojos do not have the capital (i.e. cash) to have bogu for beginners. Some dojo do have bogu for rental or temporary use. In Japan, bogu is as easily available as vending machine iced coffee in a can.
          Japan has a hierarchy in dojo as they do in society. Anyone is able to join a kendo dojo. If you do not speak Japanese, you may have difficulty learning if everything is in Japanese. You will, of course, be segregated with the lower level students. So, at least they will be your equals.

Comment

Yokota Airbase

Looks like they have their own kendo club. You don't have to look elsewhere.

http://www.kendomushi.com/Clubs/ClubIndex.htm

Comment

That was very considerate of you. Thanks! I owe you a favor sometime, bub.

Now if only I could get up with my dad...

Comment

Savanagh

I believe there is a dojo in Savanagh, not sure if Parker-Sensei runs it or not but I know he's up there somewhere.

I had the priveldge to keiko with him when he came down to Orlando for a boken seminar (katas/kihon waza).

Good Luck!

Comment

As a fellow kendoka in search of a dojo in Savannah, I'm sorry to say there isn't one (yet.) Parker-sensei goes to the Citadel dojo in SC if I'm not mistaken. The only dojo I'm aware of in this area is Tasicoglu-sensei's (or as I know him, Prof. Tascioglu ) jujutsu/taijutsu/aikijutsu dojo, which he runs in the Savannah Downtown Atheltic Center. (www.tansensei.com/dojo/index.html , www.dacsavannah.com ). I've emailed Parker-sensei before, and he says he would be interested in starting a dojo here if he could find a location. I emailed him about the DAC but haven't gotten any response yet. Here's hoping!

Comment

I got an email from Parker-sensei (jamesparker@coastalnow.net), here's what he had to say:

Dear kenshi,

I have finally received approval to use a room at the post gym at Hunter Army Airfield. I can have it Tues and Thurs evenings. The gym coordinator was suggesting 6:00pm however that might be a little tight for me to get there. I was thinking more about 6:30. We can start as early as next Tuesday. I know summer break is coming up-however if you are here or know someone who is staying then classes can start. I will have a couple of dates in June and July I may need to miss. I hope to be able to allow one of the students to lead the class in my absence. But I don't know if the gym will allow that at this point.

Directions to the Gym.

1. Come the main gate at Hunter Near the Mall.
                    For non-military you will need a photo ID, car registration, and insurance card to enter the gate.
                    2. Continue straight down the street. It will dead-end at Lightning Street-turn Right. Post Headquarters should have been on your right.
                    3. Go about one block (water tower on the right) turn right onto Leonard Neal. There will be a 2-way stop sign after a couple of blocks on Leonard Neal. Go through this stop sign. (I mention this because it is only a 2-way stop sign and you might get hit from the side.)
                    4. At the next stop sign should be Duncan (4 lane with a median strip). Turn left on to Duncan. The gym will be about 1 block down on the left. I will most likely need to sign you in.

Tom, I know there was an army guy starting at the Citadel. Do you know how to get in touch with him to inform him of the gym arrangements?

Let me know how this sounds. There will be a small seminar and promotion exam followed by keiko at Sweetwater, TN on 5 Jun if anyone is interested.

Jim Parker

Comment

jodonnell,

So you get to practice now?

Looking forward to see you when you are back in Dallas... we are still at Greenhill. We got 20+ beginners this year, so you have many kohais now.

Oh. btw, Hyun-sensei is at Sweetwater if you are going to attend this seminar. If you need his contact info, e-mail me.

Good Luck,
                      Hiro

Comment

Hey Hiro,
                        Unfortunately, all my kendo stuff is now back in Dallas so I won't be able to practice this quarter; but since summer break is in two weeks thats no big worry; I'll be at my home dojo soon enough There's actually two or three other kenshi on campus which is pretty mindboggling to me. Hearing that there's finally going to be a dojo thats less than three hours away was exciting news all around

Comment

Working...
                        X