X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo in Virginia Beach, VA

Hey, Kendo is something I really wanna do and I have wanted to do it for quite a long time, however for the life of me I cannot find a dojo closer than Williamsburg. Sort of a long drive to practice, ne? No way my parents would drive me that far, nor would they probably even let me drive that far once I get my license (hopefully by the end of next month). I looked a couple pages back and as far as I can tell there's no other threads on this, so sorry if it's a repeat that I missed. I just joined the forum, so if anyone could help me out with my predicament it would be great, thanks.

As far as I know the closest thing you're going to find is in Norfolk, Virginia at ODU. I don't know if they're still doing it, but I believe that they teach a kendo class there which is taught by Hiroyuki Hamada. They're affiliated with the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai. I really don't know much about how their classes are structured of if you can practice if you're not a university student, but you can get their contact information here: http://www.odu.edu/educ/education/kendo.html

I'm the student-instructor at the William and Mary class up in Williamsburg, but the students are going to be out for summer vacation in a week and won't start up again until September. There might be a dojo in the Outer Banks of North Carolina depending on where in Virginia Beach you're located. I know that driving long distances is a hard thing to do for kendo training, but I have to drive up to Richmond every week and sometimes twice a week from Williamsburg to train. It's hard, but worth it if you're really committed.

Comment

Well, like I said, its more an issue of my parents freaking out about me driving to Richmond than anything. I'd totally do it if I was allowed to. If I can't join at ODU I'll probably try the Richmond one with my parents first. However, kendo's obviously an expensive sport so I also need to get a job.

Comment

I completely understand. But here's the address for the Outer Banks dojo:

Outer Banks Kendo Club
        Nags Head, N.C. 27959
        John S. O'Connor
        4717 S. Pompano Ct.
        Nags Head, N.C. 27959
        Tel: 252-202-4666
        John O'Conner
        classes at OuterBanks YMCA in Nags Head
        Tues and Thurs 7:00 A.M. to 8:15 A.M.
        Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 9:15 A.M.

I don't know if that's any closer to you than Richmond would be. If you want the contact info and address for my dojo in Richmond, here it is:

Koryo Dojo
        10960-F Three Chopt Rd
        Richmond, VA 23233
        W 7:00-8:30pm Sa 1:00-2:30pm

Good luck and I hope you can find a resolution with your parents. ^_^

Comment

heh, thanks a lot. ^__^ I've heard of one at ODU though that one of my friends also may start taking classes out, so I'll probably check that out first. I heard you don't have to be a student there to take it either, which is good because I don't plan on going there for college. Thanks for the contact info, if the ODU thing doesn't work out I'll try those.

Comment

Humble suggestion.

If I may be so bold, I would offer to help you. I am a mere Shodan in Kendo, but I was teaching with SEUSKF support in Jacksonville, NC. I'm now in Virginia Beach, and I'm trying to start a club here. Please let me know what you think.

Yours in Budo,
            John Anderson

Comment

Ive also posted in Johns thread, but yes you can join our classes if you are not a student. I believe (please dont hold me to this ) that it is $50 for 6 months. Of course, school just let out and the summer is a long time to get rusty so if you wanna meet up for a friendly practice let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lane
                yes you can join our classes if you are not a student
                Whoops, I meant to say a student at ODU

Comment

Originally posted by Jung_Yul
                  If I may be so bold, I would offer to help you. I am a mere Shodan in Kendo, but I was teaching with SEUSKF support in Jacksonville, NC. I'm now in Virginia Beach, and I'm trying to start a club here. Please let me know what you think.

Yours in Budo,
                  John Anderson
                  That'd be great, if you did. Let me know when you do happen To start a club, I'll gladly be your first student.

Comment

Hey Yuudai,

I'll be meeting up with one of the ODU students on Saturday just for a face-to-face, and most likely, a bit of practice. Right now the only place I have to work out is outside, so it's weather permitting. ^_^ The best I can promise is that I can at least get you started with the very basics... I'm a beginner myself, and certainly not a greatly experienced instructor, but I can show you the best I know.

John S. O'Connor... I believe that I met you in Charlotte last June... at the promotional exam? I was introduced to you by my sensei, Jim Lovell sensei? If I'm mistaken, please let me know, but also please tell me if I'm correct.

Yours in Budo,
                    John Anderson

Comment

anyone have any experience with the Koryo Dojo?
                      i'm planning on starting there sometime soon...so i just want some feedback if available

Comment

Originally posted by DanDan
                        anyone have any experience with the Koryo Dojo?
                        i'm planning on starting there sometime soon...so i just want some feedback if available

That's where I practice. Recently, we've had a few new students so if you don't have any experience with kendo, you won't be alone. Unfortunately, the dojo isn't really huge or anything so when there are a lot of students, it can get a little crowded, but the head instructor is great and everyone trys to help the beginners out. If you have any more questions, just pm me. I'd be glad to answer them.

Comment

I'm one of the newer students at Koryo referenced by Miyu (about 2 months) and can tell you that it's been a fantastic experience so far. The atmosphere is formal yet also friendly. As she indicates, the experienced kendo-ka are very willing to assist the newer students. The instuctor(s) are very approachable and make sure that each lesson is valuable regardless of experience level.

Watch out for Miyu, though, she's the toughest taskmaster of all......

Comment

hi
                            me again...sadly, i wont be starting kendo til the gas prices come back down...(damn OPEC) how much is membership per person @ the koryo dojo? i sent a PM to Miyu a while ago but apparently the PM function hasnt been working lately...

Comment

I've been doing it for just over two months (I think) at Koryo, I'm not very good, but I really enjoy the classes and the other people there. we have many new people who are staying. there are 4 or 5 more people who joined after I did.

Lots of newbies

there is a 30 dollar application fee and I think it is $55 a month. $55 or $65.

we meet twice a week.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X