Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Dojo in Virginia Beach, VA

Dojo in Virginia Beach, VA

Hey, Kendo is something I really wanna do and I have wanted to do it for quite a long time, however for the life of me I cannot find a dojo closer than Williamsburg. Sort of a long drive to practice, ne? No way my parents would drive me that far, nor would they probably even let me drive that far once I get my license (hopefully by the end of next month). I looked a couple pages back and as far as I can tell there's no other threads on this, so sorry if it's a repeat that I missed. I just joined the forum, so if anyone could help me out with my predicament it would be great, thanks.

• Jung_Yul
    replied
    Gommen.

Originally posted by Ignatz
    Yes John that would be me. Have you heard from Jim since he went to Okinawa?
    I am no longer living in the Outer Banks, I moved back to NYC about two years ago and my son is living in the beach house now. I train at Kenshin-Kai and NYC Kendo, both in Manhatten but I had to move back to my farm in Pennsylvania because I got really sick.

Anyway, in response to the original question I can tell you that I know John's teacher and if you learn from John you will have a good teacher.
    I wasn't sure if I'd replied or not, so many apologies for the delay. I graduated from ITT, and life got a bit hectic. I have heard from Jim, in fact, Sayuri-dono just recently delivered their second child, a boy, so Jim's got two future Kendo/ Iaido students. He's been promoted to Master Sergeant in the Marine Corps, and has been transferred out of the 'Wing. Not sure what type of unit he's in, but they'll be much improved for his inclusion to their ranks.
    I must thank you for your kind words, though they may be a bit generous. ^_^ I hope you are recovering well. Take care.

Yours in Budo,
    John Anderson

Leave a comment:

• Ignatz
    replied
    Originally posted by Yuudai
    Hey, Kendo is something I really wanna do and I have wanted to do it for quite a long time, however for the life of me I cannot find a dojo closer than Williamsburg. Sort of a long drive to practice, ne? No way my parents would drive me that far, nor would they probably even let me drive that far once I get my license (hopefully by the end of next month). I looked a couple pages back and as far as I can tell there's no other threads on this, so sorry if it's a repeat that I missed. I just joined the forum, so if anyone could help me out with my predicament it would be great, thanks.
    Hi, I am sorry to tell you that the dojo in the OuterBanks is closed. I was the teacher there and moved to NYC and practice kendo there. However, the good news (see my earlier post) is that John Anderson is living in Virginia Beach. I met John and know his teacher and can certainly vouch for him. Now all we need is someone to vouch for me. Please follow up on John's offer, you won't go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jung_Yul
    Hey Yuudai,
    John S. O'Connor... I believe that I met you in Charlotte last June... at the promotional exam? I was introduced to you by my sensei, Jim Lovell sensei? If I'm mistaken, please let me know, but also please tell me if I'm correct.

Yours in Budo,
    John Anderson
    Yes John that would be me. Have you heard from Jim since he went to Okinawa?
    I am no longer living in the Outer Banks, I moved back to NYC about two years ago and my son is living in the beach house now. I train at Kenshin-Kai and NYC Kendo, both in Manhatten but I had to move back to my farm in Pennsylvania because I got really sick.

Anyway, in response to the original question I can tell you that I know John's teacher and if you learn from John you will have a good teacher.

Leave a comment:

• Sandru
    replied
    Yuudai, there is a dojo in Virginia Beach called Dragon Connections that teachs Kenjutsu and Kendo. It's located at Princess Anne Road and Baxter Road in the Kempsville Marketplace, I train there. If you want to know more or want to talk more, email me at Sandru@hotmail.com.

Yojimbo69, same for you. Just email me if you are interested.
    Last edited by Sandru; 14th December 2005, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Yoshito
    replied
    yes

I decided to delete my post.
    Last edited by Yoshito; 17th September 2005, 01:01 AM. Reason: not for public

Leave a comment:

• Miyu
    replied
    Originally posted by joekc6nlx
    Jeff, The closest I know of is at ODU, but it's really a PE class. I think Richmond has a dojo, but I'm not sure if that's part of the university or is independent.
    Hey Jeff,
    The Richmond Dojo is an independent dojo, but it's a good 2 hour drive from Virginia Beach. ODU is really the only place close to you that I know has kendo. I heard that there is a Tae Kwon Do studio that teach kendo in Chesapeake, but I really know nothing about it. It may be worth exploring on your end, but I can't guarantee the quality of instruction since I just heard about them (Heard as in Google).

The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg has a club that I help out with, but we're limited to practicing only when school is in session and if you are a non-student, you have to be over 18.

If those options don't work, I wish you luck in starting up a club or classes in Virginia Beach.

--Miyu

Leave a comment:

• joekc6nlx
    replied
    Originally posted by Yojimbo69
    Hello all. I live in the va beach area and am trying to find others interested in kendo. I used to take it here at the beach (when there was a dojo) but it has been awhile, and I really miss it. I was hoping there was a place we could meet and/or practice. There is a korean tae kwon do dojo around the corner, and I had thought about asking the sensei there if we could use the facility in between lessons or during down time. Let me know what you think.

Jeff
    Jeff, The closest I know of is at ODU, but it's really a PE class. I think Richmond has a dojo, but I'm not sure if that's part of the university or is independent.

I used to live in SW VaBch, behind Centerville Elementary, just south of Kempsville Rd and Centerville Tpk. Then moved to Portsmouth, and now I (but not my ex) am in Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• Yojimbo69
    replied
    Hello all. I live in the va beach area and am trying to find others interested in kendo. I used to take it here at the beach (when there was a dojo) but it has been awhile, and I really miss it. I was hoping there was a place we could meet and/or practice. There is a korean tae kwon do dojo around the corner, and I had thought about asking the sensei there if we could use the facility in between lessons or during down time. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Inouye02
    replied
    Originally posted by Hongsermeier
    Glad to see some Kendo happening in Norfolk. I travel there for work and would love to practice while there. Hope to see you all the next time I'm in town.
    Hey Hongs, where have you been ? you gonna visit sometime soon ? say hello to the wife also ..

Leave a comment:

• Hongsermeier
    replied
    Glad to see some Kendo happening in Norfolk. I travel there for work and would love to practice while there. Hope to see you all the next time I'm in town.

Leave a comment:

• Lane
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoshito
    This dojo near Norfolk, isn't that belong to Dai Nippon Butoku Kai and not AUSKF?
    Yes, is there a problem with that?

Leave a comment:

• Yoshito
    replied
    Norfolk Kendo Club

This dojo near Norfolk, isn't that belong to Dai Nippon Butoku Kai and not AUSKF?

Leave a comment:

• Kendoka108
    replied
    ODU Dojo and dojo in VB

I know that this is a little dated.... I just returned to ODU and for anybody else that finds this thread- you do need to be a student (or at least register through the school) to do Kendo. You have to do Beginner Kendo class first before moving to Intermediate (Instructor permission only).
    An adjunct teacher is currently teaching the Kendo class- She also teaches a class on Sundays at Granby High School (Norfolk) for a much more affordable price and you don't have to do it through ODU. I just found out about it so don't know how it is yet. Will keep anybody interested posted.

Did that VB dojo ever come around?- I'd be interested in any informal kendo get together with other kendoka in the area. I'm in Chesapeake but can make it to Norfolk or Virginia Beach.

Leave a comment:

• Miyu
    replied
    Originally posted by YoonGyungSshi
    i think i saw you there! :O
    i was one of those grls who were doing korean dancing (drum dance?)
    heh.. were you the woman with a guy when he asked me what i was doing when me and my friend were playing with my knives..? -_-''
    I don't remember that part . . . but yeah I was there with my fiance.

huhuhuhu... im going to that dojo with my bro (dandan) ...
    hm.. but i realized when i was there that i was the only girl student... theres more girls right? :|
    There are more girls, but not that many. Don't worry because my Sensei's wife practices there and she's really good. She can beat most of the people in the dojo so though there aren't many women, the women we have here are strong. I hope to see you guys there tonight!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X