Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

legit dojo or what?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • legit dojo or what?

    Hi,


    Uh some girl i know practices kendo here,and says the teacher has his own ryu or something.Also she said she had to do an exam to become student of the ryu.Sounded kinda not right.Also i direct your attention to the picture of the kendoka on the site doing some sorta power ranger move ?
    I dunno, im pretty ignorant in the ways of kendo,so i very well could be wrong
    but maybe not


    http://www.akarate.com/images/kendo2.jpg
    http://www.akarate.com/
    --Niels

  • #2
    Originally posted by Niels
    Hi,


    Uh some girl i know practices kendo here,and says the teacher has his own ryu or something.Also she said she had to do an exam to become student of the ryu.Sounded kinda not right.Also i direct your attention to the picture of the kendoka on the site doing some sorta power ranger move ?
    I dunno, im pretty ignorant in the ways of kendo,so i very well could be wrong
    but maybe not


    http://www.akarate.com/images/kendo2.jpg
    http://www.akarate.com/
    --Niels
    Hi Niels,

    From what I've seen from their website and the All U.S. Kendo Federation (AUSKF) website, this dojo and its instructor(s) don't appear to be members of the AUSKF and that 'kendo' picture isn't right at all. I didn't see kendo mentioned in their schedule, either. I'd be leery of this place as far as kendo goes. If your friend tests for kendo under the head instructor's organization, her rank will be legit within their circle only and it won't be recognized under the International Kendo Federation (IKF) or AUSKF.

    On the plus side, they seem to have a pretty big practice facility for their karate/kickboxing/aikido/etc., though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ralutin
      Hi Niels,
      (..)
      On the plus side, they seem to have a pretty big practice facility for their karate/kickboxing/aikido/etc., though.
      Yea i wonder how legit their karate and aikido is ...
      Maybe im worrying for nothing but that kendo picture has wrong written all over it, even I can tell :S


      --Niels

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Niels
        Yea i wonder how legit their karate and aikido is ...
        Maybe im worrying for nothing but that kendo picture has wrong written all over it, even I can tell :S
        It just looks like a typical example of karate guys getting bored with so much "empty-handed" practice and fooling around with shinai for a change of pace. There is a whole thread over in e-budo.com called Krappy Karate Katana Kamae devoted to pix like that. If the pic in question was just a "demo," no big deal, but if they profess to actually teach kendo, then be worried, be very worried.

        American karate dojo tend to be a very different beast than your average kendo dojo, but many of them also qualify as so-called "McDojo," i.e. consumer- and profit-oriented "fast food" teaching with an emphasis on physical fitness rather than traditional martial arts training.

        I wouldn't pre-judge this place, but it does have one of the typical warning signs: The school offers an entire menu of martial arts, but the main instructor, by his own account, is only qualified to teach kempo karate. And no credentials aside from "black belt" are listed for the assistant instructors.

        If you really want to know, i'd suggest posting a respectful question in e-budo.com in the "baffling budo" thread. There are a lot of serious martial arts guys over there who can probably answer your question.

        Comment

        Working...
        X