Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasgow Kendo Club

Hi folks,

This is my 1st post on here so hello.

Just wondered if anyone trains at the Taiseidokai club?

I'll be going along tonight for the 1st time and I'll be on my own so if someone could keep an eye out for me and take me under their wing!

Ta

Bob

I dont train there but, I hope you have a good first night. Im gona be starting kendo next Tuesday as all my college exams and assessments are out of the way for the year!
    Enjoy!

Comment

How was the training Bob?

Comment

Hi,

The training was excellent. Really enjoyed my 1st night. A lot to take in but very enjoyable. There was also another guy there on his 1st night so I didnt feel too out of place.

We started with some warm up exercises then whilst in a circle we took our shinei and were shown a variety of moves we then had to practice them. Forgive me if I cant remember the names of the various moves.

Then we moved into a long line and followed one of the instructors across the hall and copied his moves.

At this point the sensei took myself and the other newbie off to the side and took us through the basics i.e. how to position our feet properly, how to hold the shinei, how to raise it properly etc.

Then we re-joined the rest of the group and practiced moves with partners. Basic overhead cutting moves with the partner holding his shinei above his head horizontally and we would slide in and cut down and some other variations.

I felt a lot more co-ordinated by the end of the class and I'm really looking forward to Thursday's class. The sensei was very friendly and patient with us when he was going through the basics and helped us settle in.

Comment

Hey Bob,

Good to hear mate!

It is safe to say that kendo is a hard road to walk down. It's hard, requires heaps of energy and dedication but it is well worth it.

Good luck!

Comment

I Actually wanted to go but i was under the impression that it was for Adults only?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacynth
              I Actually wanted to go but i was under the impression that it was for Adults only?
              Nah! Anybody can start kendo at any age. We had a guy start who was about 64 years old (but 3 months later gave it up!- but at least he gave it a shot).

We also have a very skilled kendoka in our club who started his training at the age of 6!! His grandfather taught him and man is he good!!

Give it a go... and who knows?? one day you maybe sitting your 8th Dan exam!!

Comment

Wow! Thanx for the Inspiration!

Comment

It's been along time since i wanted to go so can somebody please remind be where it is?

Comment

Glasgow Dojo !

Hi, Iam also intrested in joing the Glasgow Club.

I currently live in Edin (uni) but will be in glasgow from the 16th June. Can someone give me some information reagarding the time, place, any restrictions and price/session/week?

Also is each group broke up into skill levels or age groups, the reason for asking is Iam a complete begineer and 18 years old, the last few martial arts clubs I have joined have been full of young kids which has put me off (basically they show me up).

Thanks Dave

Comment

Hi, Im interested in joining the Glasgow club. Im a bit worried that Im too old at 25. Any advice from people who've started at a similar age? Is it alrite to goalong and watch for the first time?

Comment

Great to hear that you enjoyed your first night at Taiseidokai in Glasgow. (Interesting to hear that they don't seem to run beginners' courses.)

Info online:

http://www.glasgowkendo.net/

Gerry (Kincaid sensei) usually answers e-mail pretty promptly if you want to get in touch.

Kendo in other parts of Scotland:

http://www.edinburghkendo.co.uk/ (also with info on Edinburgh University Kendo and Aberdeen Kendo Club)

http://www.standrewskendo.co.uk/

:-)

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_St_A
                          Great to hear that you enjoyed your first night at Taiseidokai in Glasgow. (Interesting to hear that they don't seem to run beginners' courses.)

Info online:

http://www.glasgowkendo.net/

Gerry (Kincaid sensei) usually answers e-mail pretty promptly if you want to get in touch.

Kendo in other parts of Scotland:

http://www.edinburghkendo.co.uk/ (also with info on Edinburgh University Kendo and Aberdeen Kendo Club)

http://www.standrewskendo.co.uk/

:-)

Michael
                          Luckily i completed the beginners course at Edinburgh last Oct.
                          I would prefer if Glasgow held a beginners course but Don teaches a seperate class for novice kendoka.

Im still a n00b in bogu

Comment

Originally posted by Commander
                            Luckily i completed the beginners course at Edinburgh last Oct.
                            I would prefer if Glasgow held a beginners course but Don teaches a seperate class for novice kendoka.

Im still a n00b in bogu
                            With him beginners are in very good hands.

Comment

Hi I will study in Glasgow next year as Erasmus student and I would like to continue Kendo there. Are there many Kendoka in Glasgow?

Comment

Working...
                              X