Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto resident looking for a good place to start.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto resident looking for a good place to start.

Hi everybody.. I'm new to this board

i posted this as a reply to someone's post, but there may be other people who won't see it there... so here i go.

I'm a born and raised Etobicoke resident, and i'm looking for a good place to start training kendo. I know from my shotokan experience, that dojos can differ greatly. it seems the learning experience is affected by how many other students are there, and their ages/capability level, as well as the general atmosphere.

I went to watch a practice at olympium last week, and aside from screaming toddlers running around the racetrack, the atmosphere seemed good.

If you can without bias give me your opinion on olympium or any other place to start training, i'd really appreciate it.

Am i better off training at the japanese cultural centre.... i'm not japanese (or asian, so would they even let me? (doubt that matters)

Heard of any other good places to train in toronto/etobicoke/surrounding area?

Now that i'm done college and making some stady cash flow I need a martial art to start, to keep me busy, get me back in shape, and clear my mind.
    Kendo looks like the one!

any advice would be awesome!
    thanks!

etobicoke have 3 members of team canada from last world championship.

so I guess it might be a good place to start.

Comment

If you're in Etobicoke, why not train there? Kamata-sensei is excellent, no need to go further. All the TO dojo are friendly with each other, if after you've been training at Etobicoke for a while you want to visit JCCC I don't think it will be a problem. I can also recommend Toronto Kendo Club, Kimura-sensei's dojo.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
        If you're in Etobicoke, why not train there? Kamata-sensei is excellent, no need to go further. All the TO dojo are friendly with each other, if after you've been training at Etobicoke for a while you want to visit JCCC I don't think it will be a problem. I can also recommend Toronto Kendo Club, Kimura-sensei's dojo.

What Neil says, there all good! If I was in Etobicoke, the Olympium is where I would be going.

Comment

awesome!

thanks guys.....

now to save up for my men and do and tare and etc.......

Comment

yep..
            all the dojos around toronto are great
            if i had a choice i'd be going to etobicoke

Comment

Working...
            X