X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eager to Train.

I have wanted to practice Kendo for years, however the nearest place to train that I have found is 100 miles from my House. I have spent countless hours trying to find a Kendo Dojo near Harrisburg, PA, with no success. I have posted on several other message boards, including e-budo.com, in which nobody could help. Does anyone know of a Kendo or Kenjutsu dojo near Harrisburg/Southern Pennsylvania? I have a collection of Katanas and other swords, which sadly, I am not proficient with. It is depressing, really. This is my first post here and I am requesting your wisdom, please don't flame me.

Hello!

Are any of these near you?

Hope this helps and welcome to the message boards.

Pennsylvania

Rei Mei Kan Dojo
    Bath, PA

Shu Do Kan Dojo
    831 D Ann St
    Stroudsburg, PA
    M 7:00-8:00pm W F 6:00-7:00am
    Contact: <A href="mailto:shudokan@ezaccess.net">Shuji Matsushita (570)223-1756

Tan Shin Kai Dojo
    Community Education Center
    3500 Lancaster Av.
    Philadelphia, PA
    M Th 7:00-9:00pm
    E-mail: info@tanshinkaidojo.org

Thomas Jefferson University Kendo Club
    Jefferson Alumni Hall Cafeteria
    1020 Locust St.
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Tu F 6:00-8:00pm

Comment

No, I already checked those places. The nearest one is Bath, PA, which is 105 miles away. Pittsburgh is 5 hours away and Philadelphia is 2.5 hours away. It seems I would have to join a dojo unrecognized by the AUSKF, if they exist in this area, which I do not want to do. However, I appreciate your post and time put forth, thank you.

Comment

Hi!

Welcome!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

DO NOT TOUCH THOSE SWORDS WITHOUT PROPER INSTRUCTION.

THEY WILL MOST LIKELY THEY BE WALLHANGERS UNSAFE AND MADE FOR THE WALL.

There. Having warned you, most non-practitioners have no clue what a safe sword is. Not only that, NEVER should you use one without being taught HOW FIRST by a sensei in a dojo. You can cut your hand very badly and even lose fingers. That is a very real truth. Besides, you won't be allowed to use what you have anyway. Your swords must be apporved by the sensei when he decides you may use a sword. You will, in a Kenjutsu or Iaido dojo, only be allowed to use bokuto for a long time, and then maybe be allowed to use an Iaito(blunt-edged sword.) It takes about 5-6 years of training before you will even be allowed to use a sword wih a sharp edge.

In Kendo, you will use a Bokuto for kata always, and shinai for the rest of training.

Yes, all those Kendo dojos that JHusch-san posted are what is there as far as Kendo is concerned, in your state.

If you are interested in learning Koryu(Classical Japanese sword arts: Pre-Meiji era) Kenjutsu, please contact me. I have information on Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjutsu in Philidelphia, if you are interested.

Oh, by the way, no complaining about distances. My dojo is 2 hr. 15min hours away. So, hehehe, I won't take "It's too far" for a reply. So, you can go twice a month instead. That is what I do. If you are serious about studying Kendo or Kenjustu, then you will drive to get there or find a way to get someone to drive you, if you are not of driving age yet. Getting there can be considered part of your training, because it is teaching you perseverence and discipline to be willing to do that. Patience, too. You will need lots of patience to study a JSA, because it is difficult at times.

Oh, please be aware that the Kenjutsu dojo I have, takes serious students only. So, only contact me if you are serious about training in this art.

Well, I just checked to see if sending an e-mail using the link in my profile works, but it doesn't, no matter what I fix in my CP thing. So, I guess everything is down. Then, I tried to see if I could e-mail you, but it won't work either.

So. I guess we'll have to do this if you want this dojo, because I don't want to post my e-mail here, if you don't mind. Please go to the Samurai Forum and send me a PM there. I am Kaoru there, too. I think you will have to register for that, but you can try anyway.

http://www2.g-com.ne.jp/~japan/cgi-bin301/ikonboard.cgi

Anyway, good luck!

Kaoru
        Last edited by Kaoru; 2nd June 2004, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBoy
          No, I already checked those places. The nearest one is Bath, PA, which is 105 miles away. Pittsburgh is 5 hours away and Philadelphia is 2.5 hours away. It seems I would have to join a dojo unrecognized by the AUSKF, if they exist in this area, which I do not want to do. However, I appreciate your post and time put forth, thank you.
          Perhaps you can drive to Bath, Pa. .. it is 105 miles away right? so 75 miles per hour (which is quite normal on highways I think) would get you there in less than 2 hours. Just a thought, good luck.

Comment

Alternative to Kendo

GoldenBoy,
            If you are not willing to go those extra miles for fufill your dreams. Then may I kindly offer you an alternative, Aikido, http://www.ittendojo.org/. While it may not be what you truely want it may be the best at the present time for you until you choose to move closer to a city or town that has a Kendo dojo.
            Best of Fortune to you.

Comment

if you really want to do kendo and you're serious about doing it, then you won't really mind those long drives. some people in this forum drive for 3 hours.

any 3 hour drivers in here?

Comment

Yeah, I have the same problem.
                I've been wanting to do kendo for years, but can't find a club near me.
                The closest place is an hour away.
                Also Tagahanan, I would probaly drive that long, if it was a very very good school.
                I wouldnt be driving for hours just to get to a place that isnt even that good.
                Sadly, I cannot help you because I don't even live in the same country.

If anybody knows of any dojos in Sydney,Australia, Word Kendo Affiliated or not.
                Please tell me!!!

Comment

QUOTE* I have wanted to practice Kendo for years, however the nearest place to train that I have found is 100 miles from my House. I have spent countless hours trying to find a Kendo Dojo ...... I have posted on several other message boards, ......... in which nobody could help. ........ I have a collection of Katanas and other swords, which sadly, I am not proficient with. It is depressing, really. This is my first post here and I am requesting your wisdom, please don't flame me. *QUOTE
                  WOA! it seems as if i had written this, its truly the story of my life!

but to differ from goldenboy and to kaorus dismay, i do use swords without training (i havent heard about your warning, i started swinging swords at 12 and im 17 now, so dont get mad at me )

ive had 4 bokkens through my history (3 broken down, the one i use currently splintered) 2 katanas (i started with a blunt edge one like for a year, now i use the real thing) a tanto (edged o`course) 2 shinais (one s broken, the current one i havent taken out the plastic grapping in hopes it lasts longer than the last one ) a jo staff (splintered), 2 wooden broadswords (for crav magra i think, both of the things are still as good as new, ty god ) and an uncountable amount of broom sticks (broken all, i used to use them as bokken before i knew there was something called "bokken" lol).

all of this to serve me on my self samurai-ninja-sword-thing training

all this stuff lasted me through these last five years, and armed with nuthing but the named above, a bicicle helmet and a pair of weight-lifting gloves (couldnt find anything better ) me and a friend o mine smacked the shit outta ourselves every so often that we could meet, having as my teacher only samurai movies and iaido and kendo internet-downloaded-videos (and only through this last year that i found out about kendo! yay!).

so well...ye, i can copy most o the moves ive seen on video (iaido specially) and though im completelly sure i do the basic stuff wrong (hand position, feet pointing, stance , etc, all the stuff that can be apreciated well in a video) it sure server for something, cause now ive been swinging a katana for like 3 years (maybe totally in a non-chalant way and without any technique, but the thing is that i have ) and so i have reached a lvl on familiarity with the sword that i couldnt hope to have at the beggining, or some years ago, so i can do some of those hollywood flashy stuff you see on movies, (to the demise of my plants and garden 0_o ) like rolling around, the suddenly jump and make a cut so that you chopp off EXACTLY the marked branch (in a many branched tree) with a clean swipe (got no idea if its the right way of cutting, but the other branches dont stir as i cut down, i know in reality is pretty useless to jump and roll, but still it looks pretty cool )

so anyway, yea.....srry i got carried out with the story of my life , but now that i got vacations, and finally having found a kendo dojo less than 3 hours of trip in car (witch i dont have by the way, lol). the one i found is in another city, but im sure itll be worth the trip ,
                  so i would presume that even if some of my "wild-free-style-training" wouldnt have taught me proper swordfighting technique at all, i would guess that the coordination and space-sensations that handling a sword gives you, would at least make it easier, (or less harder ) to master the basics.

.............i dont even know why i wrote all this down 0_O ,...... hehe : D

Comment

Hi Kyros-san,

Well, hehehe, I guess you saw my warning... :P

Hey, did you see my post on dojos for you I made? I replied to your request, and there is a dojo an hour or less from you it looks like, in Mexico City. I posted in Spanish in my other post. Tonight, I am too lazy to write in Spanish. I gave you a website with the dojo info, too.

Ok. PLEASE go back to bokuto. Really, being untrained with that thing is very unsafe, and your sword is probably a wallhanger, which is VERY bad. You can kill someone with that, because those display sowrds are not meant for anything but a wall, and CAN break even if you just swing it. And, since the blade is glued in, in the majority of them, it is even worse, should it come loose and fly out and hit you or someone watching. And yes, wallhangers are 440 steel, which is very breakable. There's a video around here somewhere demonstrating this. The guy on the QVC network was all, "This is a great practice katana," *thwacks sword lightly on table* and the blade broke and stabbed him. He didn't even hit the table hard.

cause now ive been swinging a katana for like 3 years (maybe totally in a non-chalant way and without any technique, but the thing is that i have ) and so i have reached a lvl on familiarity with the sword that i couldnt hope to have at the beggining, or some years ago, so i can do some of those hollywood flashy stuff you see on movies, (to the demise of my plants and garden 0_o ) like rolling around, the suddenly jump and make a cut so that you chopp off EXACTLY the marked branch (in a many branched tree) with a clean swipe (got no idea if its the right way of cutting, but the other branches dont stir as i cut down, i know in reality is pretty useless to jump and roll, but still it looks pretty cool )
                    Ok, Sorry... I have to lecture... DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DANGEROUS THIS IS WITH A SHARP SWORD AND NO PROPER TRAINING?!? *said being incredulous wirh great surprise and shock* For heaven's sakes, you will cut yourself VERY BADLY one of these days! OMG I can't believe you actually DO this stuff with that thing. AND STOP CUTTING STUFF AND DOING ROLLS BEFORE YOU CUT, WITH THAT SWORD!! *covers eyes* PLEASE... With the sword you have, that is ASKING to be seriously cut or worse. Your blade WILL break cutting from fatique on the blade, which is NOT meant for cutting anything at all. And anyway, NEVER cut tree branches with any sword. That will damage it or you, whichever comes first. It may look cool, but you can kill yourself. This is a fact. Please don't do this with a live(sharp) sword. ASI: NO MAS!!! Es MUY PELIGROSO que Ud. esta haciendo!! Es la verdad. Da un bokuto si Ud. quiere hacer esto.

Ok, end of lecture, rant off. Sorry. I had to say it. *takes deep breath.*

Well, please see my other post for dojos, ok? You posted a thread in this section asking. Good luck!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshin Axel
                      Yeah, I have the same problem.
                      I've been wanting to do kendo for years, but can't find a club near me.
                      The closest place is an hour away.
                      Also Tagahanan, I would probaly drive that long, if it was a very very good school.
                      I wouldnt be driving for hours just to get to a place that isnt even that good.
                      Sadly, I cannot help you because I don't even live in the same country.

If anybody knows of any dojos in Sydney,Australia, Word Kendo Affiliated or not.
                      Please tell me!!!
                      Kenshin Axel-san,

One hour is nothing. Go there. Mine is two hours 20 min way. Getting there is part of the training. I consider you lucky if is only an hour way. You can't assume anything until you go there, visit the dojo, and then decide if it good or not. Ok?

Kaoru

Kaoru

Comment

Yeah Kaoru,
                        I understand what you mean.
                        But I'm only thirteen, I can't exactly just get in a car and drive off, my parents have to take me. And my parents are pretty busy, there are six kids in my family, and we're getting a foster child soon, so they havent got alot of time.

Although, if I took a train it wouldnt even take half as long.....
                        But there are alot freaks who are around the train station, at least I'll be able to use my skills in Jiu Jitsu.

Comment

I would never train in Kendo to learn self defense.

my 0.02

Comment

I wouldnt either.
                            I said Ju Jitsu, the unarmed combat of the samurai.
                            That stuff kicks ass, like myself

Comment

i know that i must seem reckless or something, but i assure you that i didnt start rolling and cutting like the very first day, i was carefull the first months (even too carefull i think) thats why ive never cut myself. (in fact ive received more damage training with the boken than with the katana,) but of course that i first tried the crazy stuff and moves with the bokken (and therefore i received all the amount of hitting and bashing posible,) and then, when i had mastered the move, i did it with the katana, so no harm done.

quote* Ok, Sorry... I have to lecture... DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DANGEROUS THIS IS WITH A SHARP SWORD AND NO PROPER TRAINING?!? *said being incredulous wirh great surprise and shock* For heaven's sakes, you will cut yourself VERY BADLY one of these days! OMG I can't believe you actually DO this stuff with that thing. AND STOP CUTTING STUFF AND DOING ROLLS BEFORE YOU CUT, WITH THAT SWORD!! *covers eyes* PLEASE... With the sword you have, that is ASKING to be seriously cut or worse. Your blade WILL break cutting from fatique on the blade, which is NOT meant for cutting anything at all. And anyway, NEVER cut tree branches with any sword. That will damage it or you, whichever comes first. It may look cool, but you can kill yourself. This is a fact. Please don't do this with a live(sharp) sword. *quote

ok thats would have come in handy 3 years ago, hehe
                              but as both swords have standed considerable punishment (i have no garden anymore ) uncountable amount of branches have been cut, uncountable amount of swing have been given, and they still stand, not one scratch, (well seeing theyr price, i had to save for like 4 months to buy each of them, they were like 1600 pesos, = its like 160 dollars each)

an though i agree swinging in a wild mood a sharpened katana may seem dangerous at first, well i gotta tell you its almost as using one with a blunted edge, you NEVER touch the edge, thats the only rule, so even if i swing it and the point swings just centimeters beside my head, well........i practice!

at the beggining, when i used the blunted one and i wasnt sure if i touched the edge with my wild movements, i used to use in the swords edge just a bit of red paint, and put some old clothes on, and i started swinging, never did i got a mark (meaning a cut, in reality terms) just some drops of paint in the floor (cause with the speed of the swings, when i stopped the momentum of them, the paint, not dryed went ricocheted towards the direction of the cut) so if you have some nice floor tiles you dont want painted, dont do this

now i use the reall thing, and dont worry about that so much, with practice you get to calculate the size of the blade, and so you insctinctively know if your swing can or could reach a body part in its momentum and cut you.

Comment

Working...
                              X