X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dojo in tokyo???

hi i was wondering if there were any dojos around the higashi ginza area. I'm only a beginner but i'm looking for somewhere i can practice in for free or just to watch. I've only been doing kendo for 8 months in hawaii. but I haven't gone for the 3 months before i came to japan. longer now that i've been in japan for a couple months or so. if anyone has any info it would be helpful. also, has anyone heard of or have gone to the dojo at the Yokohama police station? just wondering. I was in Yokohama for about 2 months before this and the only place that practiced was the police station. well, thanks.

sorry I cant answer you question about dojos in Japan. However I live in Hawaii also and was wondering which dojo did you go to? I am new to kendo and am thinking of joining a dojo to get some training but I dont know where to go.

Comment

Kanda

Hi there,

I practice at the Chiyoda ward's gym on Tues and Thurs nights, near Kanda station, just a few stops from Ginza. There is a 200 yen entrance fee for residents (350 yen for non-residents), but I don't think they charge if you just want to watch. But it might be tough if you want to practice, because I don't think they take beginners - I've never seen anyone teach beginners in the 1 year that I've been going.

I think most wards' public gyms have kendo. I also heard that Chuo ku's gym used to teach beginners, including foreign students, so you might want to check into that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles35
        hi i was wondering if there were any dojos around the higashi ginza area. I'm only a beginner but i'm looking for somewhere i can practice in for free or just to watch. I've only been doing kendo for 8 months in hawaii. but I haven't gone for the 3 months before i came to japan. longer now that i've been in japan for a couple months or so. if anyone has any info it would be helpful. also, has anyone heard of or have gone to the dojo at the Yokohama police station? just wondering. I was in Yokohama for about 2 months before this and the only place that practiced was the police station. well, thanks.
        I dont know your japanese language level, but if you go to ku-yakusho (shi-yakusho), they have a list of kendo dojos in the area.

ECM,
        Do you practice Chiyoda Gym on saturdays? My sensei's group practice there every saturday.

Comment

Chiyoda

Kirin,

I just saw your post on another thread about your sensei. I practice on Tues and Thurs nights, but I've gone on Saturdays for the 3 p.m. practice a few times. (There are smaller groups that start at 1 p.m. as well.) Is that when your sensei is there? What's his name? I'd love to look him up next time I go.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ECM
            Kirin,

I just saw your post on another thread about your sensei. I practice on Tues and Thurs nights, but I've gone on Saturdays for the 3 p.m. practice a few times. (There are smaller groups that start at 1 p.m. as well.) Is that when your sensei is there? What's his name? I'd love to look him up next time I go.

Thanks.
            My sensei's name is Kiyoshi Abe. His wife, Chizuko, also practices there.(both 5-dan)
            Abe sensei was with Dallas Dojo for 7yrs, and he is one of our mentor.
            I think they practice every saturdays from 2ish.

Everytime our dojo friends visit Tokyo, they stop by and have keiko there.
            In fact, one guy just visited and had couple of practices last week.

Comment

Kirin - thanks, I'll be sure to say hello to Abe sensei next time I go.

Comment

to lonewolfandcub

I practice at the Kenshikan dojo. they practice at the Japanese Cultural Center in Mccully. I like it there and i think you will too. it's 25 dollars a month. practice saturday mornnings. tuesday and wednesday nights.

thanks all for the replies. i will try to visit there if i can. language is not a problem. just the fee. but well, i will leave japan maybe sometime the end of this month. so i think all i can do is just watch anyways.

Comment

Thanks for the info bubbles35. Ill have to check them out some time soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X