X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo's in the Wichita, KS area?

Are there any dojo's in the Wichita area? I'm just wondering because the nearest one I can find is in Kansas City. Right now I am learning from a sensei out of her home. This is great, but I was wondering if I am missing anything by not joining a dojo?

Just a question, are you her only student in that class currently?

Comment

Originally posted by Mifune
      Are there any dojo's in the Wichita area? I'm just wondering because the nearest one I can find is in Kansas City. Right now I am learning from a sensei out of her home. This is great, but I was wondering if I am missing anything by not joining a dojo?
      Oh, THAT explains why you think you are learning Mugai Ryu. I would like to know her full name, her rank, who her teachers were, and where she learned and in what dojo please. She may not have a clue. You know, there ARE people out there who claim to be JSA teachers but really are not. If she refuses you this information, then run in the other direction and don't look back. It means she isn't the real deal. If you can get me this information, I can check with the proper people on e-budo where a lot of qualified sensei can verify whether or not she is the real deal. Really, finding a real, authentic Koryu like Mugai Ryu in one's town is extremely rare. So, I see a possible red flag until I can get it checked out.

In Mugai Ryu you will not use a live blade for a long time in a legit dojo. And, it won't be a shirasaya encased blade, either.

This is why I am very suspicious: From the official Mugai Ryu website:

http://221.114.251.44/mugai/en/index.html - Read this main page first!

http://221.114.251.44/mugai/en/mugai_northam.htm

Quote from this page:

The United States Official Representative of Mugai ryu Iai hyodo is Tony Alvarez (bigtony@senpokan.com).
      Currently there are no licensed instructors of Mugairyu Iaihyodo under NPO Hougyoku-kai in North America. However, there are several study groups that practice regularly:

On the west coast, Tony Alvarez oversees regular study groups in Los Angeles. Please contact Tony Alvarez (bigtony@senpokan.com) for details.

In Chicago, the Shinjinkai Dojo holds weekly study groups. Please contact them (info@shinjinkai.org) for details.

In Virginia, Sean Moffatt (smoffatt@camber.com) of Tidewater Aikikai and Rob Rivers (sensei@virginiakempo.com) of Virginia Kenpo are organizing regular study groups. Please contact them for details.
      In the meantime, while you get me this information I asked for, I will look for a dojo for you. Ok? Thanks. And, I can check with Tony Alvarez if I have her name, rank, etc.

Kaoru
      Last edited by Kaoru; 13th July 2004, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Relax

Originally posted by Kaoru
        Really, finding a real, authentic Koryu like Mugai Ryu in one's town is extremely rare. So, I see a possible red flag until I can get it checked out.
        It happened for Dave Lowry!

Honestly, as an uninterested bystander, I don't think you are giving him or his teacher the benefit of the doubt. It almost feel like you are treating them as guilty until proven innocent.

Perhaps the instructor is trying to save him money. I've seen people come up to the iaido dojo with highlander katanas expecting their first lesson. How the sensei choose to deal with it is another matter entirely. I'm not saying that allowing him to practice with shirasaya is a good thing...but good ma art equipment is probably hard to come by in Kansas, esp if the instructor is not web-savvy and is unaware of the resources available.

Also, regarding Mugai Ryu, do you know how many Mugai Ryu are out there? Even Ren Kuroda himself kept emphasize that they are Mugai Ryu Iaihydo, and that there are other variations of Mugai Ryu out there.

I'm not against defrauding bad teachers...but there needs to be some respect involved in the process.

Sincerely,

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I asked sensei if she was JSA approved, but she is not. So I will stop going to her for training. Its just that there is virtually no iaido dojos in my area. The closest thing is katana training and a kara-te class. This is NOT iaido. As for training my self, I'm tempted to, at least until I can find a respectable dojo. I do have a bogetsu, which I had previously trained with, but will now resume. Of course I could always take up taiji sword seeing as how I do have a useable taiji sword (unlike my shirasaya ). I'm pretty sure there are a couple taiji practitioners near me. Again thanks for the help!

Comment

Excuse me, katana training IN a kara-te class.

Comment

Originally posted by Mifune
              Thanks for the help guys. I asked sensei if she was JSA approved, but she is not. So I will stop going to her for training. Its just that there is virtually no iaido dojos in my area. The closest thing is katana training and a kara-te class. This is NOT iaido. As for training my self, I'm tempted to, at least until I can find a respectable dojo. I do have a bogetsu, which I had previously trained with, but will now resume. Of course I could always take up taiji sword seeing as how I do have a useable taiji sword (unlike my shirasaya ). I'm pretty sure there are a couple taiji practitioners near me. Again thanks for the help!
              Hi Mifune-san,

You're welcome! Where exactly are you? Are you IN Wichita? I need to know, so I can look for you. There may be a dojo in a state next to you. And, you may end up with Kendo, which is better than nothing at all. Even if it isn't Iaido, I think you'd still really like it. Oh, and if you can drive, you can expect to drive an hour or two at least, for a legit dojo if I can find one. Many of us do that, and it is part of training to get there.

Ok... No, no, no. Please do NOT mess with ANYTHING SHARP right now without a teacher! And, do NOT try to teach yourself. You will end up learning bad habits which will just set you back when you get into a dojo. Trust me, having to unlearn everything you thought was right but really is wrong, is no fun. It is just not possible to teach yourself. It is just waving a sword around at that point. It is MUCH better to wait and start off on the right foot, so to speak, and learn things right the first time around.

If you insist on messing around, get yourself a bokuto(wooden sword) please. That will keep you from losing any fingers and cutting your hand badly.

Well, if you are still interested in a dojo, let me know and tell me if you are actually in Wichita, ok?

Kaoru

Comment

Hello

Hello,
                I am too interested to know where a dojo is located in and around Wichita, KS. I have no training but would like to start somewhere. Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Dan

Comment

Probably closest kendo dojo is at Oklahoma City.

Kendo/Iaido dojo would be in Omaha or Dallas.

Comment

Hi!

Hello! I am looking for a Kendo club/ or dojo in the Wichita Kansas area. I noticed you helped someone before. I would like to find one , or get some people together and start a new club for our city. Also, I am new to this forum and am having trouble locating anyone in my city. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
                    AncientHorse

Comment

Originally posted by AncientHorse
                      Hello! I am looking for a Kendo club/ or dojo in the Wichita Kansas area. I noticed you helped someone before. I would like to find one , or get some people together and start a new club for our city. Also, I am new to this forum and am having trouble locating anyone in my city. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
                      AncientHorse
                      Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Somehow, I can't seem to figure out why I didn't finish posting dojos for this person. Maybe I PM'd him... I have no idea. Either that, or the thread got lost and I couldn't find it again. If I had posted the dojos I just looked up, you'd have had them already!

Anyway, they are kind of far, but that's your only option. You won't be able to start a group by yourself and other untrained people at this point. Not unless you somehow got a mentor, and that won't happen unless you show some dedication and go to consistant practices at a legit dojo. Well, to be very honest, a complete beginner shouldn't even try to take on running a group. What you can do, is get a couple friends to go to the dojo and learn Kendo and then you've got practice buddies. Do not try to start a dojo/group until you've got experience and have some decent basics down(I mean basics the sensei approves of, not what you think is good.) and you ask if you might start one.

The student comes to the teacher. That's how Kendo is.

The first is in Kansas:

Kansas City Kendo Club

http://www.kckendo.com/index2.htm

This dojo practices in Overland Park. It is probably about 2 1/2 hours away, judging from the map I looked at.

-----------------------

There are also two in Oklahoma City:

Sen Shin Kan
                      Redlands Fencing Center
                      3627 NW 23rd
                      Oklahoma City, OK
                      Tu Th 4:30-5:30pm
                      Sa 10am- 12noon

(405) 947-2521

Sou Fu Kan Dojo
                      Twelfth Avenue Recreation Center
                      1701 12th Ave. NE
                      Norman, Oklahoma
                      See website for practice schedule.
                      Email: rustinsparks@gmail.com

(The websire isn't working for some reason. You'll have to call for more info.)

-------------------------

The one in Oklahoma City is probably about the same, give or take. I looked at a map to see.

The second one? I have no idea where it is, since I could not find Norman on the map. But, you could find out, I bet, if you e-mail them or call.

Now... I don't want to hear complaining about distance. Getting there is part of your Kendo practice, and it teaches patience. Part of doing Kendo is showing the dedication and perseverance to get there and study hard to learn kendo properly. My dojo? hehehe, It's 2 hrs and 20 min away. I don't feel a bit sorry for you.

As for distance, you can plan to do several things... You could go once a week or, twice a month. But, you'll have to talk to the sensei about this, and if it's a gas issue, you'll have to explain why you can't come to every practice. You should make a serious effort to get to the dojo to learn. You need to be in the dojo learning from a qualified sensei at your level, which is untrained at the moment. And besides, you need to work with other more advanced students as well. You'll learn soooo much more this way.

So, don't expect a teacher to come to you. That's not right. You must go to them. Show dedication and maybe you could, if you stick with Kendo long enough(Most quit within 6 months or less.)
                      , consider starting a study group if the sensei gives his approval. You'd still have to go to the sensei though for proper instruction.

Anyway, it's late and I must go. I don't often have access to a computer, so you got lucky I saw this while I'm staying at my parent's tonight. I'm glad I did! I hope this does help you a lot.

Oh. Don't just show up at the dojo. Call first and ask about visiting the dojos. That's proper etiquette. Make sure to visit more than just one if possible, since each dojo is different in personality.
                      Same waza(techniques), but different ways of teaching the same waza, that is.

Good luck! Please do let me know what you ended up doing.

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
                      X