Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is there any good dojos in or around the Chicago (Cook County) area? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any good dojos in or around the Chicago (Cook County) area?

Hello, fellow martial artists. As you can probably guess I'm one of the new guys running around the boards. Well, for a good period of my life I have purchased books and researched online to learn as much as I could about the various martial arts. For an amature, I have to say I am pretty skilled. But, that's beside the point. Even though I already know a good amount of my various styles of martial arts I am not a fool and I realize my skill can't compare to that of the more advanced martial artists in the world. I would like to know if I can enroll in a dojo within my area that has a good reputation. I'm aware of all the "Karate Class" and "Tae Kwon Do" knock-offs in my area. I do not want that, I wish for a good and proper training. Of course, I realize due to I am still 17 I can not enroll in some of the more deadlier martial arts. None-the-less, I wish to to learn of the various schools in my area. I do not plan on enrolling in anything until I turn 18 and then can freely chose what style I wish to master.

Currently I am interested in: Japanese Fencing Schools, Chinese Martial Arts Schools, and maybe a reputable Karate school within my area. Can anyone help this aspiring martial artist?

I am from the same area. Just look up on the web and check out dojo's.. check out their qulifacations.. etc..

I know that the http://http://www.choyokan-kendo.org/info.html choyokan dojo has a good rep. because one of my senpai in Japan went there during her high school years. I plan on going there once i get back to the states.

Good luck.. there arn't many dojo's around but a nice selection to pick from unlike some areas of the world. ^_^ maybe see you in practice someday

Comment

See here for a list of Illinois kendo dojo.

Comment

Originally posted by YojimboZatoichi
        Of course, I realize due to I am still 17 I can not enroll in some of the more deadlier martial arts. None-the-less, I wish to to learn of the various schools in my area. I do not plan on enrolling in anything until I turn 18 and then can freely chose what style I wish to master.
        Kendo may be too boring for you. Check out a practice anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your help, everyone ! By the way, I know Kendo isn't exactly the most flashy thing but that doesn't matter. The reason I want to learn in an actual dojo is so I can have the experience of being taught in the dojo. Teaching yourself a martial art is one thing but learning in a dojo setting is a more rewarding experience. Oh, and the reason I said I wanted to go to a good dojo is so I don't get ripped off. I don't really care if the school is well known and praised, I just want to go to a dojo with quality teaching.

Oh yeah, YAMAFELL, maybe I will see ya ^.^ who knows. Once again, thank you everyone.

Comment

Hi!
            Me and my buddy are looking at getting into Kendo. I realize that the dojo in DesPlaines is the closest to us. My question is, how much are we looking at spending for this? How much are classes, equipment, or anything else?
            Thanks!
            Blake and Mike

Comment

Back in 1988-90 I studied here:

Chicago Kendo Dojo
              Buddhist Temple of Chicago
              1151 W. Leland Ave.
              Chicago, IL
              Tu F 8:00-10:00pm
              Rober Kumaki robert.kumaki@ogilvy.com

I LOVED this place... Matsumoto-sensei and Izui-sensei are incredlble teachers, as are everyone there. 10 years ago the group was small (about 8-10 regulars) of varying skill levels. The atmosphere is very respectful without being stuffy or controlling, and they will certainly push you to do the best you can without pressuring you into competing or "gaining levels" unless that's what you want. All-in-all I can't recommend the place highlyt enough.

Hope that helps and good luck on your road...

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeS8
                Hi!
                Me and my buddy are looking at getting into Kendo. I realize that the dojo in DesPlaines is the closest to us. My question is, how much are we looking at spending for this? How much are classes, equipment, or anything else?
                Thanks!
                Blake and Mike
                Only one way to find out, contact DesPlaines. All the Chicago kendo people are good people. As for equipment costs, check out some of the online retailers:

www.e-bogu.com

www.eguchi.com

etc.

Comment

Working...
                X