X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Columbus, Ohio (USA)

Hi everyone... so glad that I stumbled onto this place!

I'm a 36 year old looking to start training again. I studied in college at the Chicago Kendo Dojo in the Buddhist Temple of Chicago on Leland, and loved that group. When I left the city to start my family and career I was unable to find a place to keep practicing, but I find myself missing kendo every week of evetry month of every year. While researching some kendo terms' spelling I found this place and thought I'd give finding a new dojo a stab (so to speak).

Can anyone suggest a dojo or group in Columbus?

Thanks!

Columbus Kendo

Just so happens I was born and raised in Columbus. Here is a link to the OSU Kendo club in Columbus, OH.

http://osukic.org.ohio-state.edu/

Ohio State University, Class located at Larkin Hall near the OSU campus. I can get you directions but be warned there is a lot construction in the area.

The bad part is you are at the mercy of the Universities class schedule.

Saturdays are our only permenantly scheduled days during the summer. Classes begin at 10:30am through 2pm. The 10 -2 class is very traditional there is another Kendo class at 2pm which is modern kendo both classes are great. The traditional class from 10-2pm also teaches Iaido.

Hope this helps.

R-S Luis, mailto:rodsan1234@hotmail.com <-- Good person to email if you want more info.

Good luck
    Craig

Comment

Go for it, Imago! Have we met? I'm from Detroit and have visitied Chicago for the past six years or so for kendo events.

Comment

Wow. Yaay! A club right in my area! And practice on the weekends! Could this GET any better? I'll email who you recommended and see what happens.

One question: the site you linked to shows weekday practices and does not list the 2:00PM class- are these for non-summer periods? Also, is the Iaido portion a seperate class or is it integrated into kendo practice? My sensei in Chicago would not teach me Iaido as they said it would distract me from Kendo, but said I should learn it later on.

Charlie, you might have met me if you were there at some point between 1989-91 or so... It's been quite a while. Do you know a kendoka named Skip there? He's who initially invited me to check it out- lost contact with him and I wonder if he's still doing it?

THANK YOU so much for the info!! I'm so happy!

Comment

Hmmm, Skip. Might know his face but can't place the name. Anyway, I didn't start kendo until '98 so, nope, we didn't cross paths. Chicago kendo is going strong, by the way.

Comment

Another option is Kotaka-sensei's Classical Kendo organisation. Their website is under construction but you can find some contact info here. Not sure if that's current or not.

Comment

OSU

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
              Another option is Kotaka-sensei's Classical Kendo organisation. Their website is under construction but you can find some contact info here. Not sure if that's current or not.
              I believe this is Kotaka sensei 's class, at least it was for many years but I had heard rumblings of some problems there. BTW if you are not familar with the Classical KF you may be a bit surprised after being at Chicago.

Comment

I offer no opinion, I just present another option

Comment

Haven't heard anything back from the OSUI club yet... still hoping.

How is the classical school different than what I might have already experienced?

Comment

Another alternative is Miami Valley, about an hour's drive from OSU, if you don't hear from them.

Comment

I'm sure the Ohio State guys will get in touch with you. Keep trying.

I can offer a limited perspective on Kotaka-sensei's classical kendo, since I practiced with some of its members in Cleveland once. The best way I can describe it is like the kendo we know but without worrying about points, trying to approach it as combat. The students I practiced with told me they also do iai, yari, naginata and some taijutsu. One unique thing about them was they utilized more stances than chudan more freely. I dug them as people. I'm sure part of any concern with anyone seeking to study with Kotaka is that it isn't mainstream kendo. FWIW!

Comment

Here's a must-read:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=27676

Comment

Hmmmm... that actually sounds more like what I did in Chicago than what's being called "modern kendo". When I last practiced with the Chicago group, we hadly, if ever, talked about "points" and such. Valid attacks that would or would not have penetrated armor? Sure. But points? Nah... I'm not even sure HOW TO score.

One of the things I liked about my old group was the fact that we were NOT pushed to go to competitions or earn levels... we were all there to improve our skills and to test ourselfve against one-another... We all knew when we felt the sting of a blow that was solidly landed, and kote strikes were almost NEVER taken on their own, but usually as part of a combo. I remember I was once yelled at by a sensei for striking kote and then backing off... "KEEP ATTACKING, DON'T LOOSE MOMENTUM!" he shouted at me... I loved those guys...

Comment

Hi guys,

If you have a major problem getting a hold of people in the Columbus KIR dojo, please tell me. I might be able to help. I know someone in that dojo. Depends how serious you are about that one.

Kaoru
                            Last edited by Kaoru; 3rd September 2004, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Interesting, Imago! I know the folks from Chicago Kendo dojo and they definitely do "mainstream" kendo - in fact, they are quite strong! Maybe it's just that they simply didn't emphasize shiai (tournaments), which is also quite normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X