Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo in Randolph, MA

Hello:

Anyone here trains at Shu Fu Kai in Randolph, MA? Do they have a website? What is the address?

_Thanks.

There is no website yet. It is in the works to be made, but it's in the planning stages. We train Sundays from 2:30 to 5:30 at the Boston Higashi School. It's right on route 28 (I'm pretty sure of that, I might be having a brain fart). Any questions, just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
      There is no website yet. It is in the works to be made, but it's in the planning stages. We train Sundays from 2:30 to 5:30 at the Boston Higashi School. It's right on route 28 (I'm pretty sure of that, I might be having a brain fart). Any questions, just let me know.
      Could you tell me a bit more about the dojo?

Comment

Practices always begin with kata, then waza practice of all sorts, 5 minute break, and then jigeiko.

There is a godan, a couple yondan, sandan, a few people I don't know what rank, and the rest of us below. We always have visitors from other dojos. Sometimes one or two, other times lots. We have joint practices periodically with clubs close to us and occasionally we take trips to NYC for joint practices down there. We are starting to have a good core of kids too. Most members are Japanese.

It is definitely the traditional Japanese style kendo dojo where good kendo is more important than points. They teach well.

For me to be more helpful, I need more specific questions though.

Comment

Randolph

Hi,

I am looking for a place to start learning Kendo. I have no experience. Who do I contact about the Randolph Dojo? and what materials does one need to buy to start? Also, what is the cost for training?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Comment

You will probably have to watch a practice first, then you can talk to the Ogimura-sensei and get the info from him. At first you'll just need a shinai, but you should stop by and watch a practice and meet with him first. He'll tell you all the info you need. Sorry, phone number and email are currently lost in the abyss of my great organizational system.

Next practice is Sunday at 2:30 at the Boston Higashi School, always same time and place. Although there is a competition on the 17th so that may not be a good time for your first visit.
            Last edited by nodachi; 8th October 2004, 05:52 AM.

Comment

do you do any iaido? also, whats your standing on lefthanders? I am interested in joining so i want to find out as much as i can

Comment

Originally posted by meh
                do you do any iaido? also, whats your standing on lefthanders? I am interested in joining so i want to find out as much as i can
                No iaido. Just kendo, but always kendo kata before the rest of practice.

And what do you mean for our standing on lefthanders? Everything in kendo is pretty much done the same whether you are left handed or right handed, such as grip, attacking, positioning of the feet, etc. so whatever your question concerning lefthanders was, it probably doesn't apply anyway, but feel free to ask anyway in case I'm wrong.

If you are interested in joining, just stop by to observe a practice and talk to Ogimura-sensei in person to get all the info you need. I am just relaying basic info, but I am not trying to say too much since I am simply a student and not the teacher. I don't want to sound as if I am speaking for him. Just stop by and get your info directly from him. Visitors are always welcome.

Comment

thnx for the info. I was looking for iaido though, in addition to kendo. Do you know of any other places that may do this? I know about the one in Waltham and Acton, but those are way too far to get to. Also, if i do come for to see a practice, I wont me able to for a long while because of an injury. thnx anyways.

Comment

You found iaido in Acton and in Waltham.

There is also a group that practices iaido at a Brazilian culture club or something like that in Cambridge. Click around on the websites you have for links or web search for it. I just forget the info on the Cambridge place, but if you look around a bit you should find it.

Comment

Hey nodachi, I get back to MA a couple of times a year to visit family. how far is your Dojo from Marblehead-salem area?

Comment

Traffic can be a little icky on Sundays so from Marblehead/Salem it could take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. Probably more towards the 1.5 hour mark.

Comment

Nodachi:

How did you do in this past weekends tournament?

Please thank everyone in your club for putting on a great event. We had a great time. Our Team, NYC A, did not fare to well against Shufukai A

Look forward to the 6th Goyokai already.

Comment

Nodachi do you goto the dojo in acton?
                            I missed the recent tourney in randolph anyway i didnt pratice

Comment

Originally posted by Siglith234
                              Nodachi do you goto the dojo in acton?
                              I missed the recent tourney in randolph anyway i didnt pratice
                              I don't go to the Acton Dojo.

Comment

Working...
                              X