Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kendo dojos in the Philippines

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hello Kaoru-san!

    Well, the floor polishing isn't as hard as it looks. There are usually a lot of us, so doing it isn't so daunting. Basically we're only required to go back and forth four times each...that's four times the length of a basketball court. But yes, going back and forth at full tilt (I usually try to go as fast as possible...the others do it slower, the lazy bums! ) usually does work up quite a sweat. I'm usually out of breath afterwards...and that's even before warm-ups!

    Then again, I appreciate the fact that there are a lot of us to do it...especially after watching the documentary on Eiga-sama. My hat's off to that guy...I mean, I can't imagine cleaning the entire dojo by myself, but this guy does it everyday as part of his regimen!

    Thanks for the encouragement too! I'll be sure to try and do my best from now on (then again, that should be my mind set all the time, right?) so that I can get nominated for the exam, and so that I can pass it!

    Cheers!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by asian_knight
      I just visited your site Togashi-san. Wow, you have a lot of sensei in your dojo. I hope I could visit your dojo when I back home.
      Well, to be fair our website hasn't been updated in quite a while. Some of the sensei you see there have since gone to other places, though others have come to take their place. That's one problem we have with the club. Our sensei are not actually based here, because the nature of their work means that they can be reassigned to other countries anytime. So the arrival of a new sensei is always a cause for celebration on our part...and it's a sad day for us too when he finally has to leave. We've been lucky so far that our current head sensei (Yamanishi-sensei, 7th-dan) has been with us for five years straight (can't remember how long exactly), but we can only expect him to be with us for two more years at most, as he's thinking about retiring from his job and moving back to Japan. Oh well...

      Actually, most of the sensei you see on the website were the ones who taught during the club's "golden days", about three to four years ago. As tough as the training we have sounds now, the seniors in the club always muse about how much more difficult practise used to be under them. Now that leaves me wondering just how tough practise was then! *shudders*

      Cheers!

      Comment


      • #48
        Hi Togashi-san!

        Well, the floor polishing isn't as hard as it looks. There are usually a lot of us, so doing it isn't so daunting. Basically we're only required to go back and forth four times each...that's four times the length of a basketball court. But yes, going back and forth at full tilt (I usually try to go as fast as possible...the others do it slower, the lazy bums! ) usually does work up quite a sweat. I'm usually out of breath afterwards...and that's even before warm-ups!
        Wow, even only 4 times, that is a LOT of ground to clean in the traditional way.
        I'd try to be fast too. Well, when you think about it, those slower guys are making it more work really, because if you go slow in that poition, it would be much harder to move I think. The distribution of weight would be all wrong. If you use your momentum, it is probably easier. Well... that's jsan idea I had anyway. hehehe, think I'd be more than out of breath if I had to do that. :P

        Then again, I appreciate the fact that there are a lot of us to do it...especially after watching the documentary on Eiga-sama. My hat's off to that guy...I mean, I can't imagine cleaning the entire dojo by myself, but this guy does it everyday as part of his regimen!
        I haven't ever gotten to watch that yet.
        Wow... He must be amazing! And, I bet he has REALLY strong Kendo from doing that every day!

        In our dojo, I forgot to say, we have three days a week to practice. I can only go to the Saturday practices every other week, because my dojo is so far. Saturdays are for beginners as well as advanced, but beginners as far as I know, only go Saturdays. I've been doing Kendo for a year now, but am not bogu yet. In our Sat. practices, we always do footwork as part of the warm ups. Before warm-ups, we do seiza retsu and mokuso and etc.(Sometimes, we do this before warm-ups. Not sure why.) Then, after warm-ups, we do lots of suburi, including katate-suburi to begin always. After that, the order of things and what we do, varies week to week. Lately, we have been doing a lot of kirikaeshi and kakari-geiko, while the beginners have been doing just men and kote. (Gosh I love Kirikaeshi and Kakari-geiko!) And at the end of practice,
        the bogu people do ji-geiko and then I go and do kihon practice with the other beginners, since that is what he has been having us non-bogus all do lately. After thatm we sit seiza again and do mokuso
        and rei to shomen and sensei, then he asks if we have questions and sometimes talks to us. After that, practice is ended. So, that's our typical Sat. practice. We never do kata on Saturdays. Oh, how I wish. I can't ever go to the evening week-day practices for kata. Sigh... I LOVE kata! Im my other dojo that I can't practice at right now because we lost our space and the main dojo is way too far(4 hrs), we always did kata at our Saturday practices. Oh well. How often do you guys do kata?

        Thanks for the encouragement too! I'll be sure to try and do my best from now on (then again, that should be my mind set all the time, right?) so that I can get nominated for the exam, and so that I can pass it!
        You're welcome!

        Kaoru

        Comment


        • #49
          Hi Kaoru-san!

          We only get to do kata once a month. This is mainly due to time constraints. I wish it COULD be more often, but we're only limited to two hours on Saturdays...which is barely enough time to fit in everything else. We're able to fit it in during the last Saturday of the month, when our practises go for three hours.

          Cheers!

          Comment


          • #50
            what did the guy say?

            ~taganahan

            Comment


            • #51
              Hello Taganahan-san

              Um, were you referring to me asking one of my sensei about the possibility of a kendo dojo in Davao? Sorry, but that particular sensei didn't practise with us yesterday, so I wasn't able to ask him. Next week perhaps, ok?

              Also IZA, if you read this, I was wondering if that UP Kendo Club member you met mentioned where and when they practise on Sundays? Cause I dropped by the venue where their practises are supposed to be held, but they weren't there. There was a karate club there who've been practising there for one sem already, and they haven't heard of the kendo club...so I'm a bit lost. Hope you can help me out here.

              Cheers!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Togashi Yokuni
                Hello Taganahan-san

                Um, were you referring to me asking one of my sensei about the possibility of a kendo dojo in Davao? Sorry, but that particular sensei didn't practise with us yesterday, so I wasn't able to ask him. Next week perhaps, ok?

                Also IZA, if you read this, I was wondering if that UP Kendo Club member you met mentioned where and when they practise on Sundays? Cause I dropped by the venue where their practises are supposed to be held, but they weren't there. There was a karate club there who've been practising there for one sem already, and they haven't heard of the kendo club...so I'm a bit lost. Hope you can help me out here.

                Cheers!
                Yes that would be cool, I was talking with a ex-UP kendoka before. She said Manila Kendo guys beat them up well. They were already doing 3 hours of practise then..1hr jogging in the morning and after, 2hrs of normal training and you guys still beat them ? Wow..physically..3 hrs of training is really tough..especially jogging, haya suburi is one thing..jogging is another thing lol

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Togashi Yokuni
                  Hi Kaoru-san!

                  We only get to do kata once a month. This is mainly due to time constraints. I wish it COULD be more often, but we're only limited to two hours on Saturdays...which is barely enough time to fit in everything else. We're able to fit it in during the last Saturday of the month, when our practises go for three hours.

                  Cheers!
                  Hi Togashi-san!

                  Oh, you're lucky! I can only go on Saturdays, but Kata isn't done on Saturdays. Sighhhh... I just love the kata! Our Sat. practice is only an hour and a half, sometimes two, depending on what sensei wants to do. I wish practice was three hours.

                  Kaoru

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Pokie
                    Yes that would be cool, I was talking with a ex-UP kendoka before. She said Manila Kendo guys beat them up well. They were already doing 3 hours of practise then..1hr jogging in the morning and after, 2hrs of normal training and you guys still beat them ? Wow..physically..3 hrs of training is really tough..especially jogging, haya suburi is one thing..jogging is another thing lol
                    Hey Pokie!

                    Hmm, that particular event happened before my time. Though I did hear one of the seniors mention it before. Didn't get a lot of details though. Anyway, my main reason for tracking them down is that I hope to add one more training day to my sked. After all, since I usually work overtime on Sundays anyway, I might as well take some time to practise too.

                    Cheers!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Kaoru
                      Hi Togashi-san!

                      Oh, you're lucky! I can only go on Saturdays, but Kata isn't done on Saturdays. Sighhhh... I just love the kata! Our Sat. practice is only an hour and a half, sometimes two, depending on what sensei wants to do. I wish practice was three hours.

                      Kaoru
                      Greetings Kaoru-san!

                      Well you never know. Things COULD change for the better. You just have to hope. I for one hope that kata becomes an integral part of your training again soon.

                      Cheers!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Oh yes, more kendo training the better. So it is true, UP from what I gather were terrified of you guys hahah. If I was from UP, I would definately train with you guys too lol.

                        Kaoru by the way, are you filipino too ? Just wondering

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Togashi Yokuni
                          Greetings Kaoru-san!

                          Well you never know. Things COULD change for the better. You just have to hope. I for one hope that kata becomes an integral part of your training again soon.

                          Cheers!
                          Our kata goes on for 2 hrs, just last month, I havent been training for 2-3 months before that..my 1st training was kata. I thought it was a breeze physcially, but I couldn't walk properly for 2 days after it..it just worked out my calf really good.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Togashi Yokuni
                            Well IZA, please feel free to drop by anytime you're in Manila then...though I guess that really means only on Saturdays or Wednesdays...hehehe

                            Anyway, guests are always welcome at the dojo. Are you going back to Manila anytime soon? Just wondering...

                            Cheers!

                            Kutch
                            am hoping i can be there soon...ill be very glad to see you in person


                            hi kaoru san!

                            kampai!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Pokie
                              Oh yes, more kendo training the better. So it is true, UP from what I gather were terrified of you guys hahah. If I was from UP, I would definately train with you guys too lol.

                              Kaoru by the way, are you filipino too ? Just wondering

                              hi Pokie-san

                              Kaoru is not a filipino...but shes a very good friend of ours here in Cebu City.

                              kampai!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                What theres Kendo in cebu as well? Is there any dojo out there in the Philippines that hasnt been mention? Cebu is even closer to where I live. Is there any other dojo in the Visayas region. I live in Bacolod. Since the country is so spread out, or it makes travel realy hard. It would be nice to practice with the people out there before I back home.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X