Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Hottest Kendo Spots in the US Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hottest Kendo Spots in the US

    What are the top 5 best kendo communities in the US?

    My family and I are ending our military career and relocating to the US and, since we have no ties to any given region, are completely open as to where we are going to settle. Similar to the circumstances we live in now in Tokyo, I would truly love to live in a place that has a thriving kendo community with several kendo clubs--each offering keiko several times a week. I've researched threads and checked the dojo listings, but those resources painted only portions of the picture. All replies appreciated.

    Respectfully,

    MHM

  • #2
    Originally posted by MHM
    What are the top 5 best kendo communities in the US?

    My family and I are ending our military career and relocating to the US and, since we have no ties to any given region, are completely open as to where we are going to settle. Similar to the circumstances we live in now in Tokyo, I would truly love to live in a place that has a thriving kendo community with several kendo clubs--each offering keiko several times a week. I've researched threads and checked the dojo listings, but those resources painted only portions of the picture. All replies appreciated.

    Respectfully,

    MHM
    Based on number of dojo and in no particular order:

    1. Greater Los Angeles area, Southern California (http://www.eanet.com/sckf)

    2. Seattle, WA (http://www.kendo-pnkf.org/index.phtml)

    3. San Francisco Bay area, Northern California (http://www.nckf.org)

    4. New York City/New Jersey/New England

    5. Island of Oahu, HI (http://www.hawaiikendo.com)

    Honorable mention: Chicago, IL; Texas; Florida

    Check the AUSKF website or Kendo America website for dojo listings in the areas I didn't give websites for.

    AUSKF: http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/schools.htm
    Kendo America: http://www.kendo-usa.org/statedojolist.htm

    Thanks for helping defend our country and I wish you and family the best in your return to the U.S.

    Comment


    • #3
      Best bet would be to move to California.

      Comment


      • #4
        What might have been overlooked in the previous ranking is that Seattle is also only a hop skip and a jump from Vancouver Canada, who hosts several very strong clubs.
        http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mark
          What might have been overlooked in the previous ranking is that Seattle is also only a hop skip and a jump from Vancouver Canada, who hosts several very strong clubs.
          http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm
          Sorry for that, but he did specify that he and his family will be relocating to the U.S.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just thought that people who live and train in Seattle can also train from time to time in Vancouver, it is only a short distance and a easy border crossing away.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mark
              I just thought that people who live and train in Seattle can also train from time to time in Vancouver, it is only a short distance and a easy border crossing away.
              That is true and there is quite a number of good dojo in Vancouver.

              Comment


              • #8
                The San Diego area is a very Military/Military friendly area. We have 2 main Dojo's.. San Diego Kendo Bu, SCKF Taught by Yamamoto Sensei (my dojo) and San Diego Kendo Club, SCKO Taught by Lorimer Sensei...

                NorCal and SoCal are hotbeds for kendo... we have alot of tournaments and great teachers...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oahu is good because if you wanted to you could practice 8 times a week without having to travel too far and we get a lot of visiting Japanese sensei. It's not so good if you want a lot of tournament action or camps though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For distance from Tokyo and probably a couple hundered bucks off of your plane ticket, come to either California, or Hawaii.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JoonShik
                      For distance from Tokyo and probably a couple hundered bucks off of your plane ticket, come to either California, or Hawaii.
                      Actually you need to be a bit more specific than "California". There are a few hundred miles (thousands of square miles) between the northern-most NCKF-affiliated dojo in California and the Oregon-California border. If you're not careful you can find yourself in Lake Tahoe, Chico, Redding, Eureka, Susanville, etc., most of which are beautiful places (depending on your idea of beauty), but all of which are hundreds of miles from the nearest dojo. Same goes for Central and Eastern California, even the central coastal areas are a little "kendo-challenged" (what's the closest dojo to San Luis Obispo? Santa Barbara?). Now if you're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Los Angeles area, or San Diego, I agree, you have plenty to choose from, but just because you live in California doesn't mean there's a dojo within an hour's (or maybe even two or three hours') drive.

                      RC_Kenshi

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MHM
                        What are the top 5 best kendo communities in the US?

                        My family and I are ending our military career and relocating to the US and, since we have no ties to any given region, are completely open as to where we are going to settle. Similar to the circumstances we live in now in Tokyo, I would truly love to live in a place that has a thriving kendo community with several kendo clubs--each offering keiko several times a week. I've researched threads and checked the dojo listings, but those resources painted only portions of the picture. All replies appreciated.

                        Respectfully,

                        MHM
                        one of our sensei's just returned from Japan, William Kaneshiro, He was in the Air Force, and worked at the embassy. do you know him ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RC_Kenshi
                          Same goes for Central and Eastern California, even the central coastal areas are a little "kendo-challenged" (what's the closest dojo to San Luis Obispo? Santa Barbara?).
                          RC_Kenshi
                          There is an SCKF dojo in Santa Barbara and another one down the 101 in Oxnard. Don't forget the three or four CCKF dojo in the Fresno area.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Northern cal and southern cal arguably boast some of the best kendo in the US.

                            Nor cal focuses more on good form and conditioning. Endless amounts of suburi, kakarigeiko, etc. Straight kendo is paramount.

                            Socal, from the dojos I've been to, focus on waza, basics, etc. But their "style" is a bit different. I'm really still trying to adjust since I've moved here from norcal a year back...

                            Of course this depends on how advanced you are. From the beginning, you have to learn kihon so from there, its all about the sensei and what you want out of practice.......

                            Tim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RC_Kenshi
                              Actually you need to be a bit more specific than "California". There are a few hundred miles (thousands of square miles) between the northern-most NCKF-affiliated dojo in California and the Oregon-California border. If you're not careful you can find yourself in Lake Tahoe, Chico, Redding, Eureka, Susanville, etc., most of which are beautiful places (depending on your idea of beauty), but all of which are hundreds of miles from the nearest dojo. Same goes for Central and Eastern California, even the central coastal areas are a little "kendo-challenged" (what's the closest dojo to San Luis Obispo? Santa Barbara?). Now if you're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Los Angeles area, or San Diego, I agree, you have plenty to choose from, but just because you live in California doesn't mean there's a dojo within an hour's (or maybe even two or three hours') drive.

                              RC_Kenshi
                              you kinda answered your own question. Redding (I'm not sure, but I think I saw a zekken that said Redding) and Central California (CCKF) have kendo dojos, but as for way up there, now that's a little too far. From what I see, I think that some people should start lookin up north past Sacramento and get a dojo up there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X