X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miyamoto-Sensei From The NG Hachidan Video

I know this is a bit of a stretch here, but does anyone know if Miyamoto-sensei from the National Geographic kendo documentary end up getting his hachi-dan? He seemed very determined and it would have been a shame for him not to have achieved that.

There was some talk about this recently, I think...

No, he never did pass.

Comment

I had heard that he did a few years later...anyone know for sure?

Comment

Originally posted by tango
        There was some talk about this recently, I think...

No, he never did pass.
        When you use the past tense, do you mean that he has... passed away? (Not to writes obit before one passes though)

Comment

He passed away before he was able to pass the test.

Comment

That's unfortunate. I guess it just goes to show that kendo is an embodiment of perpetual self improvement, even up to our death. I highly admire Miyamoto sensei's perseverence and that he was practicing something that he loved all the way until the end.

Comment

Hachidan may be a personal achievement but being a good Sensei no matter the grade is a universal one. i think he would have touched more hearts and minds whether he passed that test or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                He passed away before he was able to pass the test.
                Tha's unfortunate, but at least he didn't give up on improving his kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                  Hachidan may be a personal achievement but being a good Sensei no matter the grade is a universal one. i think he would have touched more hearts and minds whether he passed that test or not.
                  Indeed... look at the reputation he has among those of us here who met him ONLY through that video....

Truly an inspiring story!

Comment

Working...
                  X