X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions for Shodan grading...

Ok, got shodan grading this sunday, and a question that ALL candidates grading on the day (1st-4th dan) must answer is:

Give examples of torikeshi and how the shushin indicates this to the fighter concerned

I've asked various people including my sensei and get slightly differing responses.

My understanding of it (so far) is:
    Torikeshi can be given if yukodatotsu is scored, but followed by bad zanshin or bad etiquette. If this happens shushin criss-crosses flags in front of his/her lower body (??)

Can anyone enlighten me with their offerings please. It would be most appreciated.

You have the right idea and you should do fine.

In the kendo rules it does say that a yuko-datotsu can be cancelled when there is no zanshin or when a player shows bad sportsmanship or makes rude gestures.

After the Gogi the shushin would wave the flags crosswise with hands stretched down after declaring the revocation.

These notes where found in "Kendo - The definitive guide" by Hiroshi Ozawa.

Cheers

Comment

Where ya grading Joe?

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Awooga Guy
        Where ya grading Joe?
        Kagami shin, Stoke. Mr Plimbeys yard. Although i can't make the saturday seminar, unfortunately. Luckily its not a pre-requisite on this grading that you do the previous days seminar.

Cool Cat:
        Thanks mate, thats a reassurance that i'm in the ball park. Gotta write between half and a full page on torikeshi ?!?!?
        Methinks 48pt Arial extra bold should do the trick.

Comment

Another example would be if you raised the wrong flag by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
            Another example would be if you raised the wrong flag by mistake.
            Neil, are you saying that if for eg. fukoshin raised the wrong flag by mistake, then shushin would just wave his/her flags downwards in front of the body without stopping the shiai? I've seen this done, but does this describe torikeshi?

Comment

Maybe I'm mistaken on my terminology, but I thought torikeshi was the act of an individual judge to negate the call he just made. So if I raise my flag on the hit but then zanshin is missing, I drop it and wave the red flag overtop the white. Or if I raise the red flag by mistake when it is white's point, I lower the flags, wave them together to indicate a cancel, and then raise the white flag.

If torikeshi is cancellation of a point that has been awarded by shushin... I think that would only come after gogi.

Comment

Congrats to Banza Joe on passing Shodan yesterday.
                Well done Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by Banza Joe
                  Ok, got shodan grading this sunday, and a question that ALL candidates grading on the day (1st-4th dan) must answer is:

Give examples of torikeshi and how the shushin indicates this to the fighter concerned

I've asked various people including my sensei and get slightly differing responses.

My understanding of it (so far) is:
                  Torikeshi can be given if yukodatotsu is scored, but followed by bad zanshin or bad etiquette. If this happens shushin criss-crosses flags in front of his/her lower body (??)

Can anyone enlighten me with their offerings please. It would be most appreciated.
                  I missed this thread but acutally if you look at the list of questions each section, Shodan to Sandan has a choice of 4 questions. The Yondan section has 3 and the Torrikeshi question is their compulsory question only.

Still having answered it you will have learned something

Congratulations anyway on passing.

Comment

Thanks Phil, missed you at training last night. Hope the arm is ok.

sjp:

I just checked the questions sheet again, it is a big ambiguous. For yondan it says "answer 2 of the following 4 questions"........there are only 3 !!

Then after that it says that this questions must be answered by all candidates.

Still not sure whether i should have done it, but like you said, now i know what it is....hey ho.

And thanks for the congrats. Onwards and upwards...hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X