X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shodan to Nidan

I was wondering if any of the senpai on these boards could give me any advice regarding the difference in testing for shodan and nidan. It seems that it would be more of the same, only more...if that makes any sense. Any ideas?

following is taken directly from the http://www.auskf.info/ website>>

"Nidan: demonstrate the use of shikake waza, harai waza, debana waza, hiki waza, and oji (oh-ji) waza. Obviously the occasion may not arise to use most of the mentioned waza, but the candidate should show better basics than the Shodan level and be able to use more advanced technique as above. The Kenshi at this level should not be obsessed with the use of waza but start to master the opportunity of attack. Cuts should have good vertical motion with the use of both hands and te-no-uchi."

also in addition, katat 1 through 7.

Comment

I passed. How hard can it be?
      Seriously, I looked over what Massahiro posted before my exam and it made it clear as mud.
      You are somewhat at the mercy of your partners. I think that showing that you have some control over the match and your partners (i.e. using any or all of the techinques listed in the manual) will make a good impression.
      Unfortunately it is the case that if your partner's kendo is good yours will be too.
      The above comes from comments after my test.

Comment

When I was getting ready for my nidan I was told to show 'some' seme, basically they wanted me to show that I had some control of the shiai; show decent tenouchi and snap in my strikes; use more than just a straight on men strike... you don't need to run through 10 different waza but you should be able to perform more than one successfully; make sure you don't give ground to your aite; try to make wise strikes... ie don't just strike, strike when there is an opening whether its one you create with seme or one your aite creates on their own. Plus of course all the things you need for shodan.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! The advice you all gave is very helpful... and it makes me kind of glad that I won't be testing until next year. Much appreciated!

Comment

It's as simple (and as complicated) as this: If you score at least two yukodatotsu per match, you will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
              It's as simple (and as complicated) as this: If you score at least two yukodatotsu per match, you will pass.
              ....and if you don't, do you fail?

Comment

The info posted by Masahiro from the auskf website is, of course, right on target, but IMO, there's a lot to read into what's being said there.

My personal opinion -- so take this with a huge grain of salt --- of the basic concepts of these gradings is like this:

Ikkyu -- very spirited (loud voice and all that good stuff) attacks, ki-ken-tai-ichi and zanshin
                Shodan -- The same as Ikkyu except more controlled and cleaner attacks
                Nidan -- Same as Shodan but a little more controlled and cleaner than Shodan, plus demonstration that you're messing around with seme. Kamae and posture is starting to get important at this point, so have good kamae/posture. A little more patient than the kikarigeiko-type fighting of Ikkyu and Shodan level...
                Debana waza good... Harai waza good... straight men, good... kote-men good. NO DOU strikes (my opinion), NO TSUKI... hiki waza good.
                Still don't need to waste time in tsubazeriai.
                As always, powerful voice.

My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by neko View Post
                  ....and if you don't, do you fail?
                  Not necessarily. If you face a very strong opponent or a very defensive opponent, you can still pass despite not 'scoring', as long as you are showing appropiate kendo for the grade.
                  So, if the opportunities and consequent attacks are at the appropiate level, you can still pass, at least up to nidan.

Comment

I think if you can't score at least once between your two opponents, you will have a tough time passing nidan.

Comment

Considering that your opponent should not be blocking for blocking's sake like you often see in shiai, it really is a test of YOUR ability to strike a yuko-datotsu.

In other words, I agree with Neil.

Comment

I'm preparing nidan and what my sensei is telling me is to do like shodan but with more energy, more explosive strikes and start showing seme but that's not the main point.

Comment

Working...
                        X