X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examination board question

Ok, I have a question about the make-up of examination board members for kendo promotion exams. It's possible that this has been covered in a previous thread somewhere but I did not find it in the K-W World search function so if there was one please post a link so I can read through it.

My question is ....... For those in Federations other than the AUSKF what are the rules regarding the examiners board make up. In the AUSKF for Ikkyu- shodan test it is five 4-Dan minimum, and goes up in board member qualifications as the rank being tested increases. But my question really is more about the examiners board members for testing at ikkyu and below. I was recently informed (by Murakami sensei via Maeda sensei) that AUSKF rules say that for all kyu ranks (at least down to 6kyu) the board must consist of a minimum of four 4Dan. We had previously thought it was ok to test ranks up to 2kyu with a minimum of three sandan but that apparently is not the case.

So (just out of curiosity) what are the rules governing the make-up of promotion examination boards in other National Federations?

CKF has no rules regarding rank below ikkyu. Kyu ranks are dojo responsibility, and many dojo don't bother even testing for them.

Comment

In Australia for kyu kendo exams we need 3 x 3dan (or above) as a minimum. In practice, in states with a larger kendo population we usually have 5 x 3 dan (or above) on panels for kyu grades.

For shodan, we need minimum 5 x 4 dan (or above), with consent of 3 or more.

Comment

Mike,
        I want to say that I just stumbled upon that same information just the other day while looking for something else. Wish I could remember where I saw it online.

This new info seems to be a change from how things were done in the past, but maybe it's possible that the rule has always been on the books but maybe wasn't really enforced? I'm not sure...

Comment

Murakami Sensei, VP promotions, told me that he is working diligently to get all of the various things that have been approved into one place so that there is an up-to-date and accurate rule book.
          From what he showed me he will have it ready shortly.

Comment

http://www.kendo-usa.org/reference/promo_regs.htm

It might be helpful if one of the Marsten brothers could comment in this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
              http://www.kendo-usa.org/reference/promo_regs.htm

It might be helpful if one of the Marsten brothers could comment in this thread...
              I will have to look in my regs, but the AUSKF regs have not addressed rank of 2 kyu and below. I am not positive 1 kyu is even in there. It is left to the regional federations to decide.

I just received updates and need to look at them.

I do know that shodan to 4 dan is a board of five 5 dan minimum. The regs on my web site are the IKF/KIF regs.

Comment

right... thanks, sensei...

Comment

Those are the old regs (1997) and what I thought was still current, but according to Murakami sensei it is now somewhat different as far as kyu ranks are concerned. I am assuming since Murakami sensei is in charge of AUSKF promotions he is up to date with the rules but if there was some misunderstanding and kyu ranks are still up to the member Federations I would certainly love to know. I'm glad he is working to get a new copy of the regs online. I am going to post a similar thing for the SEUSKF web site once I get all the details straightened out.

Comment

Why would AUSKF want the headache of responsibility for kyu grades? They don't even do that here for judo, where the kyu grades actually mean something (8 or 9 years until shodan locally).

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                      Those are the old regs (1997) and what I thought was still current, but according to Murakami sensei it is now somewhat different as far as kyu ranks are concerned. I am assuming since Murakami sensei is in charge of AUSKF promotions he is up to date with the rules but if there was some misunderstanding and kyu ranks are still up to the member Federations I would certainly love to know. I'm glad he is working to get a new copy of the regs online. I am going to post a similar thing for the SEUSKF web site once I get all the details straightened out.
                      As far as I know the IKF regs are still current. There was an effort at Glasgow to change them, but because of objections they were tabled.

I do not know if there was any attempt at Taiwan GA meeting to change them.

The AUSKF is going the way of the Japan regs as near as I can tell.

Comment

Curtis ( I assume this is c. marsten sensei ?) the IKF regs say the rules for lower kyu ranks are up to the individual federations. Do you know what the AUSKF regs have been in previous years for 2 kyu and below?

I started this whole thread as I was interested in finding out what federations other than the AUSKF do because our club was recently trying to set up a local club type promotion for ranks up to 2 kyu and this was the email in response to my questions about regulations governing it ( message below was from Maeda sensei who is in charge of promotions for the SEUSKF):

Dear Mr. Watson,

I got the answer from Murakami sensei.

6 Kyu to 2 Kyu promotion also needs five (at least four) 4-dan examiners. That is, all kyu level and Shodan (1 dan) exam needs five (at least four) 4-dan examiners.

Comment

Curtis ( I assume this is c. marsten sensei ?) the IKF regs say the rules for lower kyu ranks are up to the individual federations. Do you know what the AUSKF regs have been in previous years for 2 kyu and below?

I started this whole thread as I was interested in finding out what federations other than the AUSKF do because our club was recently trying to set up a local club type promotion for ranks up to 2 kyu and this was the email in response to my questions about regulations governing it ( message below was from Maeda sensei who is in charge of promotions for the SEUSKF):

Dear Mr. Watson,

6 Kyu to 2 Kyu promotion also needs five (at least four) 4-dan examiners. That is, all kyu level and Shodan (1 dan) exam needs five (at least four) 4-dan examiners.
                          I will look when I get home. Previously the AUSKF did not care what you did for 2 kyu and below. We have used a board of three 4 dan for our kids and 4 dans on the adult kyus as well. In fact we used a 3 dan at one shinsa.

Comment

Dear Mr. Watson,

I have just had an extended conversation with Murakami sensei concerning the regs. I pointed out that there was a contradiction in the cover letter vs the regs.

At this point despite what was on the cover letter attached to the reg updates, examination board requirements for 2 kyu and below are set by the regional federation. Until it is changed which may be this Fall, this is in effect.

The AUS regs state under Sec 2 Art. 4 that kyu will follow the FIK regs. The FIK regs approved 12/7/06 state it is set by the federation, in this case the regional.

So the answer is that you do not at this time need five 4 dan to give out 6-2 kyu. The regional federation may set its requirements for testing.

Comment

Thank you for the information Marsten sensei and for the follow up with Murakami sensei. I'll have to bring this up with Maeda sensei and see if we will be allowed to get a promo exam locally or if the SEUSKF is going to just stay with the situation as it is now. This is what I had originally thought to be the case ( ie that the regional federations set their own regulations for 2kyu and below). Once again thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              X