X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we abandon grades?

OK here's a point that has come up violently in one of the Flame threads: Kendo does grades (Kyu, Dan), so do a range of other originally Japanese and now global Budo. Koryu did award teacher licenses and that was it. The same for non-Japanese martial arts, including western disciplines such as boxing etc.

Kano's Kyu/Dan grades took the world by storm it seems, thereby instilling a particular parochial culture and style onto what might well be the majority of East Asian Martial Arts practised today. The militarist connotations of his sytem are well known.

So: Are we right in perpetuating the system of grades, the almost mythical 'black belt' status? Might there be costs that come with this sytem that outweigh its strong points? Is it time, in other words, to revert to the older and internationally initially much more prevalent way of granting assistant, teacher, and 'top coach' awards?

Yes. Thought you were just passing by?

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea View Post
      Yes. Thought you were just passing by?
      Why then?

Guys like yourself are persuading me to stay, not too many forums where one can share in a civilised, mature discussion with for the most part reasonably experienced Budoka.

Comment

Most of the serious MA practitioners I know aren't really interested in grades. Kyu/dan ranks serve their purpose well enough, especially in competitive arts like kendo. Most koryu (which are non-competitive) do fine without them.

I take gradings when my sensei tells me I should. Other than that I don't really give it much thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          . . .Guys like yourself are persuading me to stay. . .
          I thought it was the fan mail from your secret admirers.

Comment

Why then?

Guys like yourself are persuading me to stay, not too many forums where one can share in a civilised, mature discussion with for the most part reasonably experienced Budoka.
            Oh, bull. You're another anonymous blowhard, here to shill for your personal cult hero. I can fill a hefty crapsack with the names of bozos who have come here in the last few years to do exactly what you're doing now. Get in line behind 2SwordStyle, Weird Al Kilgore, his boy SengokuClassic and the ever-popular Gatsu.

Plonk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz View Post
              Obviously, you can see straight into my heart. But off topic, right?

Comment

"a hefty crapsack"

now that my friends is poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Paikea View Post
                  Oh, bull. You're another anonymous blowhard, here to shill for your personal cult hero. I can fill a hefty crapsack with the names of bozos who have come here in the last few years to do exactly what you're doing now. Get in line behind 2SwordStyle, Weird Al Kilgore, his boy SengokuClassic and the ever-popular Gatsu.

Plonk.
                  Aye Sir. Will not question that. Would seem arrogant, right? Let me line up then. Ossu.

Comment

"a hefty crapsack"

now that my friends is poetry.
                    And I am the first to agree. And to admit that my personal cult hero has just changed. Will it ever end?

Comment

Obviously, you can see straight into my heart. But off topic, right?
                      No, directly on-topic. You want a world where you can be sensei without ever having to go through the process.

Anybody can call themself shihan or soke or teacher or whatever and if you are a good enough salesman you will get some followers. Heck, Charlie Manson had followers.

With kendo, the kind that millions of people practice, you know what you are getting. Even the worst 6 dan that I ever met had a level of kendo that is more than significantly better that your "I don't need this rank" kind of guy.

The rank is quality control and shows the minimum standard which you don't have in your rankless world.

Comment

Point taken Ignatz, but the same quality control could be achieved by just having a widely accepted standard for assistant, associate and full teacher grade. Do we really need 10 different teacher grades?

Comment

There are 10 teacher grades?

Comment

OK help me count: when does student for first time teach class under supervision? That be No. 1. Is that Yondan? Or Shodan? Or Rokku Kyu? the count from there. For most Budo, I end up with about 10.

Comment

OK help me count: when does student for first time teach class under supervision? That be No. 1. Is that Yondan? Or Shodan? Or Rokku Kyu? the count from there. For most Budo, I end up with about 10.
                              Just one piece of advice for ya, it's alot easier to see the world around you when you take your head out of your ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X