X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should/Would you hold back during in a grading if you had to fight a friend

Would you hold back your full potiential during a grading if you were to fight a friend?

You have to ask yourself if they will do the same.
    I would like to think I could go all out on a friend and they would do the same!

Comment

would you do that even if you know you will make your friend look bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Fai View Post
        Certainly. It isn't fair to your friend or to the other kendokas if you don't give your best effort.

At a minimum, your friend loses:
        1) the chance to learn his own weaknesses.
        2) the opportunity to rise to a greater challenge and further himself.

If it's obvious to others that you're holding back, then it's even more embarrassing for your friend. He loses the respect of the onlookers and, consequently, respect for himself.
        It also lowers yourself, in that it's a disrespectful way to treat your opponent, to not treat them seriously.

That's how I see it anyway.

sean

Comment

To my own opinion, I will do the best I can. I believe the judges can see through the whole thing. If I hold back, I probably hold back my friend too for him to perform to the fullest.

Comment

Whilst preparing for my last grading the mother of the young guy I would be fencing asked if I would practice with him. He was about 15 or 16 and gave the impression he hadn't graded in a while so was quite keen for me to offer him advice. I realised I was beginning to get on too well with him, bearing in mind I was going to have to face him in the grading.

I pointed out that the judges do want to see a big men cut but not exclusively. They want a decent match worth watching and keeping their attention. If you don't go all out that's never going to happen. Just focusing on men won't help either of you. I said I wouldn't be holding back and I didn't expect him to either. Being nearly old enough to be his father didn't help though, I still don't know why that happened. I understand my July grading mix up and why they thought I was 12 but not what happened last time.

The problem you will most likely face is too much familiarity with your oponent. You will know their moves and will have to deal with all those little niggly things that they do that for reasons unknown you cannot defeat, yet fare better in a similar situations with higher grades.

Comment

Would you hold back your full potiential during a grading if you were to fight a friend?
              Holding back against an opponent -- whether he is your friend or a stranger -- is a bad idea on so many different levels.
              1. It's an insult to the judges. They're taking the grading seriously, so why aren't you?
              2. It's an insult to your opponent.
              3. In some cases, not doing your best can actually hinder your opponent from executing certain waza properly, because timing is so crucial in many waza. Men-kaeshi-do comes to mind.

Comment

yep, I think it would make the friendship stronger.
                Last edited by Badger; 4th December 2007, 01:19 AM.

Comment

If you hold back during a grading there's a chance that your friend pass and you fail =) , or maybe both can fail .

besides it's an insult to the other person to dont give your 100% during shiai w/e it is.

Comment

haha, I have one... If your mum or dad was at the same dojo as you would you hold back on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                      haha, I have one... If your mum or dad was at the same dojo as you would you hold back on them?
                      That is a different point.

if you were to make a point, if you had an exam at school and you had an oppertunity to cheat would you do so?

Comment

my ikkyu and nidan exams i fought with friends. i did this: just habe a good fight, showing what i need to pass the exam (ex. kote-men in the nidan exam) but not just kicking your friend ass like you dont care: be brave but no be an *******!

Comment

But I would say its hard to hold back, sometimes when you think you are holding back, it may not be the case.

Comment

If thats your attitude to your "friends" then Im glad Im not one of them

How would YOU feel if SHE/HE had posted that message referring to you ?

Hopefully youre just not thinking about this - but if thats a considered statement then you have a problem

BTW - shinsa panels take a dim view of candidates not doing their best kendo

Comment

Well, I made some very good kendo friends on my 1st grading (I've had to travel to Vancouver for all of them) and we've been matched together in every grading since. We don't give an inch to each other in jigeiko and we sure as hell don't on grading day. If they don't give me their very best it's that much harder for me to give my very best.

Comment

Working...
                              X