Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should you be able to do in different dan gradings?

Hi!

I'm new here so I don't know if you have already discussed about this earlier... But has someone somewhere ever published the demands of different dan gradings? These should be international demands, so I thought it might be a good idea to ask this here in Kendo World Forums. I have heard some rumours that some magazine has published these demands many years ago but that's all I know about this thing.

Much has been spoken about the demands of shodan gradings and 8th dan gradings, but what about those other grades? I have shodan at the moment so I'm naturally quite interested about these things...

Many of the individual Federations have information on their web pages about what is expected from different gradings. Grading requirements are similar and yet not always exactly the same between Federations. I believe there are also dvd and books about grading requirements but I do not have any of those so I can't really comment on them. I'm sure someone else on the forum will chip in though.

Comment

See expectations of rank in the middle of this page. The judges don't necessarily think in those sorts of checklists, there are a variety of ways to show you are performing at grade. After the kyu grades, fundamentally you must show an ability to score correct points on the other candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by JKL View Post
        Hi!

I'm new here so I don't know if you have already discussed about this earlier... But has someone somewhere ever published the demands of different dan gradings? These should be international demands, so I thought it might be a good idea to ask this here in Kendo World Forums. I have heard some rumours that some magazine has published these demands many years ago but that's all I know about this thing.

Much has been spoken about the demands of shodan gradings and 8th dan gradings, but what about those other grades? I have shodan at the moment so I'm naturally quite interested about these things...
        There is also the Kendo Grading Book that goes from 4th to 8th

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=25201

Comment

As far as I'm aware, that book/dvd doesn't give the "requirements" of the various grades but gives guidance on how to train for the grades.

Comment

Why not try the website of British Kendo Association

http://www.kendo.org.uk/pmwiki.php/Main/Requirements

You might find more than what you need

Comment

Aside from what's on the AUSKF web page is there anything for iaido as well?

Comment

The answer is quite simple, really.

Q: What should you be able to do in different dan gradings?

A: Your best Kendo!

Comment

Working...
                X