X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensei upgraded - Gifts?

My sensei was recently (well, it's been a few months) awarded his Kyoshi shogo. I asked my sempai if we should give him some sort of gift, and he quoted the sensei as saying something about being better to get an earned rank than an awarded title; I take it to mean he didn't want to be praised for it.

The thing is he is our best candidate for a "local" hachidan (he trains here but he's Japanese) and odds are he'll go for it next year or something. That's certainly a momentous occasion for anyone, and it won't go unnoticed by his students and everyone else.

So my question is, is there a proper ettiquete ruling gift-giving to one's sensei? Is it the matter of any rank associated tradition in Japan? If not, what would be appropriate to give to a sensei who just got "promoted"?

Support him, wish him well, then train harder when he gets back. If your sempai is hinting at no gift then getting him one might embarrass him.

If you really feel obliged, maybe a collection of photos of him teaching and doing kendo.

Comment

The ship has sailed for the kyoshi, I'm looking up ahead for the hachidan, which will take a while even if he passes on his first try.

Comment

Originally posted by Abramo View Post
        The ship has sailed for the kyoshi, I'm looking up ahead for the hachidan, which will take a while even if he passes on his first try.
        ....ok.....your point?

Comment

My point being my sempai hinted at no gift in one situation (shogo) but the other is quite different (and sensei thinks they are different as well, hence his quote.)

The photo collection is a neat idea, by the way, thanks.

Comment

Interesting, but the shogo ranks are not just awarded they must also be earned. Anyways, congrats to your sensei and good luck to him when he tries for his hachidan.

Comment

Oh, definetly, but I'm sure he wasn't diminishing its value, just being humble. After all, you do have to apply for the shogo (or at least they had to here.)

Thanks for your kind words.

ETA: That quote is by no means 100% accurate or showing of a general view of my sensei towards whatever. I just mentioned it in context with the gift giving, but I'm afraid the foot has gone deep in my mouth now. So much for a model student.

Comment

Working...
              X