X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumi-sensei comments

In thsi video, after a normal shinsa, Sumi sensei points out some details...
    There is a good soul that can indicates to us, non japaneese speaking people, what he says?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVPac...eature=related

P.S. i pressed the wrong key....tittle error...sorry....
    P.P.S. ehm...Sumi SENSEI..
    Last edited by Raffa; 24th October 2009, 01:25 AM. Reason: title error

So that was a group going for sandan? The conversation afterwards was pointing out what could be better? Nice video does anyone have a rough translation of what was said?

Comment

This is a mock grading put together for a book and DVD. It shows common mistakes made by people going for 4 or 5 dan.

I've put together a quick translation. There may be a few errors but hopefully it's fairly decent.

I will start by giving you my evaluation.

No. 17, you just managed to rise above the pass level.
      No. 16, you were very close to the pass level, but in the tachiai today you were lacking in some areas.
      No. 18, you still need to do more study.

I noticed a single issue that was common to all of you. When you assume your kamae or are applying pressure, the placement of your left hand strays increasingly from your hara. The chain of energy from your tanden, through your left hand to your sword tip is broken if you do this. You were all like this [demonstrates] as if you felt you had to make a move, and the placement of your left hand was nowhere to be seen, or was unstable.

Moving on to No. 16, at the start of tachiai, when you let out your first yell - in fact, you're doing it now. Your chin is sticking out from your chest [no. 16 moves his chin] - yes, that's it! Pull your chin in tight, and your your spine will stretch. I would like you to study your posture some more.
      Also, as I said earlier your left hand is not settled. When you held your shinai your left hand was like this [demonstrates], close to the cuff of your right, in quite an agressive grip. You should place your left hand more firmly in this settled position [demonstrates]. Please study this.

No. 17, you have the same problems with your kamae. Additionally, your right hand occasionally shifts idly. You need to make sure your hands are firmly in place and that it is your tenouchi that is relaxed. Releasing your right hand like this is no good.

No. 18, the thing I would most like you to correct is this. As this is a grading tachiai, you need to assert yourself fully (this part is hard to translate) and get your opponent under sufficient control, then make an opening and strike. This is the procedure. If you don't use this method it will be like you are striking at random.
      Moreover, when you go for a strike, particularly a men strike, you aren't putting your hips into it. It seems you have an injured foot, but regardless you I feel you have some weakness in how you carry your posture and are moving from your feet. In future I would like you to look very closely at how you use your hips when you strike.
      I hope this helps.

Comment

Crud, must spread rep. Thanks for another fine translation, Richard.

Comment

Both discs are very informative to watch. Some of the participants have tested several times for 4 or 5 dan.

The dojo where they performed the tests is really nice. Built with corporate sponsorship for children's kendo. Floor is a bit on the slippery side. I went to a shinsa seminar there. Has rooms on the second floor for sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinKenshi View Post
            Crud, must spread rep. Thanks for another fine translation, Richard.
            Don't worry. I gave him some rep. Thanks, Richard.

Comment

Thank you for the good translation!

Comment

Thanks for the translation. Most appreciated

As an aside, anyone catch a glimpse of Sumi Sensei's forearms? WOW

Comment

Thanks for the translation, the video is very helpful. Is there a 5-dan part as well? I had trouble finding it on youtube and would appreciate any pointers

Comment

Originally posted by Oroshi View Post
                    This is a mock grading put together for a book and DVD. It shows common mistakes made by people going for 4 or 5 dan.

I've put together a quick translation. There may be a few errors but hopefully it's fairly decent.

I hope this helps.
                    I think "this helps" is an understatement. Thanks for helping us out.

Comment

Originally posted by takuarashi View Post
                      Thanks for the translation, the video is very helpful. Is there a 5-dan part as well? I had trouble finding it on youtube and would appreciate any pointers
                      Perhaps you would like to have a look into this or this. I, myself, only have the book, but it is certainly worth the money.
                      Last edited by unworthy; 29th March 2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unworthy View Post
                        Perhaps you would like to have a look into ....... I, myself, only have the book, but it is certainly worth the money.
                        Thanks for the links! Just one question: The two books are both on 4dan and 5dan shinsa, both have a DVD and are written by the same people around the same time. (2008 May vs 2008 June), so what's the difference between the two? (The prices are very different!)

Comment

Both DVDs show 4th and 5th dan examees.
                          The item for 7000en has 250 Minutes of video on two DVDs, one for 4th and one for 5th dan.
                          The one book + DVD for 2700en has only one DVD with a bit less than two hours video. This one - the one I own - hardly shows any people who actually passed the test, but rather people who failed and the comments to that, so you can learn from their mistakes rather than seeing someone in perfect form. Perhaps the other DVD shows also the people who passed or perhaps even completly other examees. What I want to say is that I can't say if the content of the one is included in the other.

Happy to be of help.

Comment

another good one... probably too much for someone to translate though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_lZfJNPh1I

Comment

I' am curious too. Up!

Comment

Working...
                              X