X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Promoting Dojos

I noticed a similiar thread about how quick it takes one to become a shodan in some dojos. Not that I am saying my dojo is better than this but we only test once a year.

We really down play rank at my Dojo, the way it was put to me is that it is an indication of what you know to your sensei.

My question though is how often does your dojo grade?

My dojo holds exams roughly every 6 months but the highest we can reach in the dojo is 2nd kyu. If you want to go higher you have to attend examination sessions at seminars and tournaments. It's the ABKF that organizes the exams above 2nd kyu.

Comment

every month

Comment

Every month, seriously? Does your DoJo promote quickly? My sensei says once a year is plenty he says if you put in a good year it shows your deserve it...not that I am dissing your dojo just wondering why they promote so fast.

Comment

our dojo only tests at seminars and tournaments so we usually get about 3-4 tests a year. Most dojo's actually are pretty comparable in time taken you may only test once a year but i doubt you only go up 1 rank at each test. For us we test usually 2 or 3 ranks depending on how long its been since your last grading and your amount od training.

Comment

you say you test once a year, but what do you test for? for one kyu a time starting at rokyu or ikkyu, because there seem to be soem differences regarding that too?
            In our dojo you can test every 3 months till sankyu after that you will have to do grading for second kyu before a federal jury and for ikkyu and shodan for a Belgain Jury. after that I have no clue but I'll see what happens ^_^. I'm only sankyu so I really don't have to worry myself with that. But basicly you can get shodan in three, four years I think (three is maybe a bit fast, but I'll try).

Comment

Originally posted by Hattori Hanzo
              I noticed a similiar thread about how quick it takes one to become a shodan in some dojos. Not that I am saying my dojo is better than this but we only test once a year.

We really down play rank at my Dojo, the way it was put to me is that it is an indication of what you know to your sensei.

My question though is how often does your dojo grade?
              Usually once a year. However, there are always other dojos who hold a test so you could test more than once a year if you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hattori Hanzo
                Every month, seriously? Does your DoJo promote quickly? My sensei says once a year is plenty he says if you put in a good year it shows your deserve it...not that I am dissing your dojo just wondering why they promote so fast.
                there is promotion test every month.. but it doesn't mean you can test every month.. it's usually once every 3 months.. and you only move up 1 kyu at a time.. I think they might have changed it now but before we started at 9 kyu and move up a kyu every 3 months.. then it takes 6 months to go from 4 kyu to 3 kyu.. then a year for each kyu after that

Comment

Side Questions: How much a student need to pay for each test? and if they pass, how much is the Menjo? I notice many kendo/kumdo in a commercial setting often have frequent testing. Make me wonder if this is to the benefit of club owners.

Comment

We actually only test one Kyu at a time, and every year. My instructor says that way when you change rank it means something. We start at 6th Kyu I think. We have guys who have been in there five years and are still not shodan because of this, not that it is bad...rank isn't the be all and end all. Of course I am sure there are plenty of threads on the mystical black belt thing.

The thing is too what you do in class isn't limited to your rank.

Comment

Originally posted by kawa
                      Side Questions: How much a student need to pay for each test? and if they pass, how much is the Menjo? I notice many kendo/kumdo in a commercial setting often have frequent testing. Make me wonder if this is to the benefit of club owners.
                      Kendo, unlike other martial arts, only have a set number of ranks. Some schools have more kyu ranks for whatever reasons. So, whether you take 1 test or 12 tests in a year, you can only go so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                        Kendo, unlike other martial arts, only have a set number of ranks. Some schools have more kyu ranks for whatever reasons. So, whether you take 1 test or 12 tests in a year, you can only go so far.
                        I was talking about the money generated from monthly testing and menjo fees.
                        1 test = $
                        12 tests=$$$$$$$$$$$$

Im not against commercial setting at all, as long as in-house Sensei dedicates himself full time in teaching Kendo.
                        One must paid for any service.

Comment

Originally posted by taiwnezboi
                          there is promotion test every month.. but it doesn't mean you can test every month.. it's usually once every 3 months.. and you only move up 1 kyu at a time.. I think they might have changed it now but before we started at 9 kyu and move up a kyu every 3 months.. then it takes 6 months to go from 4 kyu to 3 kyu.. then a year for each kyu after that
                          According to my calculations, this means that it takes 5 years to get shodan at your dojo (1 year until 6 kyu, another until 3 kyu, another for 2 kyu, another for 1 kyu and another for shodan). That's long by anyone's modern standards (maybe not so long in pre-war standards). I guess HRK must have good shodans. Good business too.

Comment

Originally posted by sminki
                            According to my calculations, this means that it takes 5 years to get shodan at your dojo (1 year until 6 kyu, another until 3 kyu, another for 2 kyu, another for 1 kyu and another for shodan). That's long by anyone's modern standards (maybe not so long in pre-war standards). I guess HRK must have good shodans. Good business too.
                            yeah it takes about 5 years to get 1 dan.. but I think they're changing it now so that it takes like 3-4 years.. our 3rd keups compete in shodan division

kawa: it's $40 for testing

Comment

In my dojo we only get tested 4-5 times per years.
                              I have no idea if this might be often or not.
                              Can anybody tell me?

Comment

Working...
                              X