X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion test in NYC

Just wondering if any of you are going to the promotion test at the Ken Zen Dojo on the 20th... anyone have suggestions on a cheap (yet clean!) place to stay?? It seems difficult to find a place for less than 150 USD.

NYC can be an unreasonable expensive place to stay. The closer to midtown you get the higher the rates, but if you'll go to www.expedia.com, you'll do well. Their prices are cheaper than most. . . I know because I used to work for lodging.com, and we used to steal info from their site all the time. . . Hope this helps, and good luck!

Comment

I just went and took my own advice and actually found some fairly nice places on the west end and pretty close to mid-town. Don't get picky about a private bathroom, and you'll be able to stay a heckuva lot cheaper, but if private facilities are a must, find one of the newer, freestanding hotels in Jamaica by the airport, and see if they have a free shuttle to the city. Many will. Again, good luck.

Comment

Incidentally, Ken-Zen is in TriBeCa, so you don't need to pay to be midtown. Also it is only a couple of blocks away from a subway station.

Unfortunately, I rarely stay in a hotel in NYC (that I pay for ) so I can't make a recommendation...

Comment

Thanks for the responses!!! I guess if I have to camp out in a box outside the dojo, so be it! Thanks again.

Comment

You can do what we near Boston do. Take a bus really early in the morning there, and take one really early home. Or train. Or car pool. It's a long day, but it is cheaper to just drive down, test, and drive home than it is to stay in a hotel.

Comment

You could stay at a hostel and pay $20/night for a bed. There is one in Chelsea that's pretty comfortable, safe, clean. Since you're only going for kendo and probably will be out in one night...save your dough, buy equipment and stay at those cheapy places.

Comment

West Side YMCA - $79

(I'm jut sayin'. . .)

Comment

Originally posted by KendokaJim
                  Just wondering if any of you are going to the promotion test at the Ken Zen Dojo on the 20th... anyone have suggestions on a cheap (yet clean!) place to stay?? It seems difficult to find a place for less than 150 USD.
                  You might want to find a motel in Dutchess County, park at a Metro North commuter train station, and take the train into the Penn Station.

Comment

Is anyone else going to that test because I'll be there. It'll be my first one! Ikkyu all the way! LOL

Comment

Good news! Found a place right across the river.. not too expensive either. Thanks again! npk9, I'm testing for ikkyu as well! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks - gdlk to you - I'll see you there. Did your sensei tell you what the test is consisted of? Or what to bring and stuff because I'm kinda lost in the mix of things.

Comment

You should know what to bring to shinsa. Uniform, bogu, bokken, shinai, your balls.

Comment

Nice - real nice

Comment

Ikkyu test is usually kirikaeshi, jigeiko and kata 1-3. Your local federation may adjust those though. Some skip the kirikaeshi, for reasons unknown to me - basically, that's all I want to see from an ikkyu candidate. Some skip the kata, or do 1-5. I think jigeiko is standard everywhere you go though.

Comment

Working...
                              X